Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • "The law requires us to know who is using our wifi"
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

So says the connection page of a a well known national coffee chain. So with a pseudonym, DOB, and an invented postcode I managed to connect without blurting my personal details.

It’s all bollo actually. The coffee shop next door allows you to connect without this hassle but theirs was down, leaving me no alternative but to use this network. McDo also asked for my personal info citing the same reason when I tried a walk-by wurdling there, and ASDA go a step further by wanting your mobile number.

If this is a straw in the wind I’ll need to create a few more alternate personas.

Jamie
    Free Member

Keep fighting the power, fella.

Drac

Just make the details up that’s all I do.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kennyp
    Free Member

Stick it to ’em buddy. These multinationals will be quaking in their boots when word gets round that it’s possible to use a different name on the Interweb. Can’t believe nobody has thought of this before.

stumpy01

It’s their Wi-Fi, so presumably they can ask you to provide anything they seem useful, as part of their terms. You don’t have to accept.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t go into well known coffee chains. Use your mobile phone as a mobile Wifi device.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Your not real anyway, just an imaginary wobble in the vortex of space.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What are you doing that you dont want to use your real name?

To be completely honest here Junkyard is not my real name 😉

Really not sure why you care tbh- is there an actual reason?

EDIT: Sorry that is not meant to sound dismissive is there some security or data storage or other reason that you are concerned?

Northwind

stumpy01 – Member

It’s their Wi-Fi, so presumably they can ask you to provide anything they seem useful, as part of their terms

Yah but saying “the law requires it” is bullshitty (assuming it’s not true, which surely is the case).

trail_rat
    Free Member

id hate to be the guy with bob@hotmail.com

thats my default for these places.

hooli

Never leave the house, when you do wear a tin foil hat 😉

My other suggestion is rather got to the pub

Drac

Are you happy to share your real name, DOB and post code to just anyone Junkyard?

andytherocketeer

Think it technically is the law (an EU one). UK seemed to bend over more than many countries. Some went from totally open to selling wifi tokens. Some have gone back to completely free again (Austrian, Dutch and Italian hotels certainly – they probably hide the cost in the room cost, and just log everyone as checking in as “was given internet access”).

edit: if it’s a login page that’s going to send me an SMS and/or pay, then in general I don’t bother. If it’s an email only, I’ll use an alt.

MSP

Really not sure why you care tbh- is there an actual reason?

I tend to avoid using my real details for such things, just to avoid spam.

kennyp
    Free Member

Mods, can we get this thread deleted? Most of us are perfectly law abiding people but if criminals and this and word gets round that it’s easy to use a false name online then the whole integrity of the Internet could be undermined. Bit irresponsible of the OP to suggest it I’d say.

andytherocketeer

I think they are slightly ahead of the game there 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

bob@h*tmail.com

Niiiice, normally I use: imadork@h*tmail.com

Jamie
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

is there some security or data storage or other reason that you are concerned?

If there is, he needs a VPN or he’s an idiot and breaking his company rules.

I always thought identifying yourself was in case you used the network to do anything dodgy. If you’ve ‘logged in’ then the shop can show that whatever bad thing was done by a customer and not them.

fasthaggis

I use frothing@hotmail.com for coffee shops.

andytherocketeer

remember to change the MAC addy for the WiFi port too if you want to do anything particularly dodgy (easyish in Linux, not too difficult in win7)

Junkyard
    Free Member

DRac are you tring to send me a Birthday present 😉
    I missed the DOB part and I retract my point 😳
    Apologies
    I regularly [ for work and personally ] give my e-mail and phone though – the later being sent a pin code to access the service.

Actually I am not sure why I care about giving my DOB but for some reason i do

danielgroves
    Free Member

I tend to use spam@danielgroves.net when signing up for things.

shermer75
    Free Member

When it used to be just email I used my my real address but now I also just make stuff up. I felt like it was a bit too much to ask, especially when it’s so easy at other places.

Pigface
    Free Member

To be completely honest here Junkyard is not my real name

Whaaaaaaaaaaat so your are not Jean-Luc Unkyard

aracer
    Free Member

camerond@parliament.uk FTW

Personally I work on the principle that the less I give away any of my personal details the better, which is why I also have several working e-mail addresses without any link to my real self.

footflaps

I use fred@fred.com whenever I’m asked for an email address…..

It’s all bollo actually.

Yep, there’s no requirement to know who is on a wifi network….

miketually
    Free Member

For years I used the same made up postcode when entering random data as demo stuff for my students, our standard town opening with 12 AB at the end – like **1 2AB.

Then we moved house, to that postcode 🙂

maccruiskeen

I use frothing@hotmail.com for coffee shops.

you do? dammit, I’ll have to think of something else then

Her_Majestys_Revenue_and_Customs@starbucks.com maybe

molgrips
    Free Member

I use stuff like go@away.com

whatnobeer
    Free Member

They are providing a service to you and want to know who you so they’re getting something in return, TANSTAAFL etc.

You’re right though, why hide behind legalese when you could be honest about why they want your data. Ah, yeah, I can think of a few reasons.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Make it so 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Well clearly there is if you refuse to play their game.

I should point out that I’ve never used the wifi in a national coffee chain, but the free wifi at the holiday places we go plays the same game.

brassneck

I always thought identifying yourself was in case you used the network to do anything dodgy. If you’ve ‘logged in’ then the shop can show that whatever bad thing was done by a customer and not them.

This. We make visitors to our offices make similar registration to use the internet access (which is still filtered anyway).
    It doesn’t stop people making stuff up but it does demonstrate you at least tried I suppose. You’re not supposed to use someone elses birth certificate for proof of identity either, but that happens often enough.

andytherocketeer

Think it was the EU directive on data retention. Every country implemented it slightly differently (Italy was very strict, iirc, effectively requiring passport or national ID).

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Well clearly there is if you refuse to play their game.

Well, yeah, obviously, but a giant chain like Starbucks isn’t going to miss the chance to run analytics or sell your data etc if it can. The wifi is only ‘free’ if you provide fake details.

aracer
    Free Member

Which is why you give fake details (one reason).

molgrips
    Free Member

Why does it matter if Starbucks know I go there?

I have a loyalty card, but I don’t receive any emails except to give me my free drinks.

It doesn’t stop people making stuff up but it does demonstrate you at least tried I suppose.

Exactly – they probably don’t care if someone hacks into the Pentagon from the Starbucks round the corner, but they don’t want to be held liable for any part of it, so they shift the blame from them to you – as in, we asked you fair and square and you are the one who lied.

CountZero

Don’t go into well known coffee chains. Use your mobile phone as a mobile Wifi device.

Both of those are sometimes not an option.
    I always use a small, independent coffee shop in town, which doesn’t have wifi. The O2 shop the other side of the passageway into the precinct has free wifi, but it’s a) very low powered, and drops out with annoying regularity, and b), is annoyingly nanny-ish, censoring websites for seemingly random reasons.
    I was therefore delighted to discover that Natwest Bank, the other side of the high street, has a much more powerful wifi, that doesn’t come over all nanny-state, and didn’t require any more personal info than most other free wifi sources.
    Worth checking to see if there’s a handy branch nearby.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You can get past the nanny filter by using Orbot and Orweb.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘"The law requires us to know who is using our wifi"’ is closed to new replies.