Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • The law is the law and must not be broken
  • Drac

And my dad taught me many important things, unlike school. A few examples for you : why i had to hold my breath whilst cleaning out the bilge pump in a force 8, 10 miles west of Jura and how to safely operate the chainsaw i got for my 12th birthday, i doubt school would have been much use for that.

Yes they don’t teach you everything well done on that but I take it your Dad taught you to read and write? And many other basics that help everyday in life, maths, science and other such things?

I hated school I have dyslexia and went to school at at time it wasn’t well accepted or dealt with, I missed vital early years due to an accident and the follow effects of that. Both the dyslexia handling and my accident meant I got behind in many things so struggled in lessons, I knew I could do the subjects I’d often be put into the ‘special’ class because I was behind this hindered me even more.

Despite all that it taught me enough basics to secure me a job which i then could concentrate on developing a career and control my dyslexia, this allowed me to progress well and succeed well in higher education, exams become an almost breeze if I was able to control it.

My Dad, Mother, Brother and generally living taught me life skills and common sense but they would never have paid my mortgage.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

and to me, it indicates the school has a problem with the child as she didnt want to go to school, probably due to crap lessons, bullying or wanted a better education than they where providing, there are probably more sides to this story than a rubiks cube

That could be the case, and if it is the parents have a responsibility to raise those issues with the school, who have a responsibility to address them. There are many layers of responsibility here, and the issue is about identifying who is falling short.

Modern education has moved on a long way from “back in t’day”, and I think many who think they ‘know’ what goes on in school, would be shocked to discover the steps that education professionals take to engage with learners, families and communities.

You simply do not end up in court on the whim of a rogue Headteacher from a poorly-performing school. If the school was not living up to expectations in a case like this, before it got to court, it would be P45s all round for the Management Team.

crankboy
    Free Member

Project had the factors you see in this case actually existed he could have raised them either with the school or the court and avoided the prosecution conviction or fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    imnotverygood

Sounds like parenting from the Dunning-Kruger school of philosophy.

project
    Free Member

He may well have and been slapped down,like i said the law must be upheld and not broken even when its a patently wrong law.

crankboy
    Free Member

Patently wrong to say it is a parents duty to ensure their child receives a suitable education?

poly
    Free Member

somafunk – Member
    poly – lets agree to disagree on this one, you go and sit over there, preferably out of sight and earshot……..and i’ll get on my bike and bugger-off into the distance.

I’d rather not. If you don’t have a sensible argument please don’t tell others what to do. My point in our democracy has as much right to be heard as yours. Your “freeman of the land” type waffle is nonsense – but if it were valid (and no court has ever accepted there is any logic to it) – then by ‘sending’ your child to school sometimes, then you have bought into the ‘bargain’ that goes with it of going all the time.

And my dad taught me many important things, unlike school. A few examples for you : why i had to hold my breath whilst cleaning out the bilge pump in a force 8, 10 miles west of Jura and how to safely operate the chainsaw i got for my 12th birthday, i doubt school would have been much use for that.

Oddly my parents taught me various skills too, they managed to do that out of school hours – after all school is only about 15% of the year!

An interesting thing is that almost every point 10 miles west of Jura is on land…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Seems odd to reinforce a child’s poor behavior by taking them on holiday…
    😀

jamj1974

I’m leaving this thread alone…

wiggles
    Free Member

Next you’ll be saying they also moved the goalposts
    It’s mostly swings ‘n’ roundabouts.

I think it’s a tottaly different ball game

somafunk

An interesting thing is that almost every point 10 miles west of Jura is on land…

Even the wet parts?…..jeez…ffsake!, to think i wasted all that time picking lumps of gaw’d knows what stinking tarry gunge out of the pumps and i was on dry land the entire time!, i cry child labour abuse!………

Anyway…who mentioned democracy in this discussion? – i practice my version of “Drone Democracy”, i jump into a thread, drop my shit and get out – personally i’m not bothered about attempting to have a discussion with or attempt to influence others online as that’s just weird?, i leave the frantic willy-waving arguments for others to bother themselves about, I’m just right in everything i say….all the time/every time. 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

and to me, it indicates the school has a problem with the child as she didnt want to go to school, probably due to crap lessons, bullying or wanted a better education than they where providing, there are probably more sides to this story than a rubiks cube

News flash! If a kid’s not doing well at school, it doesn’t get better with only the school doing something about it. The kid and the parents have to pull their weight too. Obviously none of us know the content of this kid’s IEP (if any) but I’d be surprised if it contained a line saying “buggering off on holiday in the middle of term”.

Luckily there was a process by which all the relevant information and the different interpretations of the situation could be put to an objective decision maker – and hey – the link in the OP describes the conclusion they came to.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Next you’ll be saying they also moved the goalposts

Hardly, they were sold off along with the playing fields.

wwaswas

People have a ‘right’ to a free education for their child at the State’s expense.

With that come ‘responsibilities’ including providing a uniform where required, helping the school with any behaviour issues that their child exhibits, ensuring homework is done and ensuring their child turns up when they are supposed to.

Poor attendance by pupils has a massive impact on schools (both in terms of workload and ‘judgement’ by other State bodies) – so much of their work is judged by things that are easy to convert into statistics. Like the pupil premium being tied to number of children receiving free school dinners – there’s schools near me offering free iPads to kids who qualify for and sign up to free school lunches.

Parents who choose not to undertake their responsibilities whilst still expecting their rights deserve all they get, imo.

Mr Sutherland told the BBC it was his first family holiday for five years because his job as a Ministry of Defence (MoD) guard had prevented him from taking annual leave during the school holidays.

That sounds a bit odd as well. Are MOD sites at particular risk during the school holidays, so that all leave has to be cancelled?

pondo

He may well have and been slapped down,like i said the law must be upheld and not broken even when its a patently wrong law.

Or he may well not have – you might as well flip a coin with bullschizzle like that. If we’re going for random guesses about what happened, my money is on them asking the school for permission, the school saying no, and them taking their kids out anyway. Because they know best and what they want is more important than the school*.

* I’d similarly guess that they will be the first to point the finger at said school when their child doesn’t meet their expected grades. Because it seems schools live or die by their ability to rech predicted grades, even though this doesn’t take any account of either the student’s willingness to put the effort in or the parents commitment to help, encourage and motivate their child. See the “health foods enforced in school canteen = parents passing fish and chips through the school railings” incident which I think was mentioned earlier in this thread. (If not, the obesity one)

aracer
    Free Member

Mr Sutherland told the BBC it was his first family holiday for five years because his job as a Ministry of Defence (MoD) guard had prevented him from taking annual leave during the school holidays.

I’m calling BS on that one. I know there are restrictions on taking holidays as a MoD guard – it’s not as straightforward as doing an office job as shifts have to be covered, but then it’s no different to a lot of other jobs in that respect, like Drac’s for instance. The MoD doesn’t make any distinction on whether it’s school holidays though and it seems he could take a week off in September.

Not exactly the brightest button in the box anyway – what exactly did he expect to gain by going to court when he was pleading guilty?

Drac

That sounds a bit odd as well. Are MOD sites at particular risk during the school holidays, so that all leave has to be cancelled?

I struggle to give all my staff holidays during school holidays as I can only have 1 member of each grade off on holiday per week. That said as we work 12 hours we have plenty of time off as the longer hours means less shifts.

bokonon
    Free Member

The article states:

“The Department for Education (DfE) has given schools more power to deal with unauthorised absence, and has also increased the amount parents can be fined.”

This is bollocks – I’m a School governor, we discussed these changes at our last full Governors meeting – the new rules give less power to schools, and all of the power to the Sec of State for Education, he is the only person who can now dictate when people can and cannot take their children out of School. It is almost impossible to find any clear examples of when Children are allowed to be taken out of school (e.g. Uncle’s funeral, seemingly not allowed, grandparents funeral, seemingly not allowed…) and Heads are concerned that if they exercise their own judgement, then they will be criticised or worse.

For all of Gove’s talk about empowering schools and Head Teachers, the only person he has empowered is himself.

Personally, I haven’t ever taken my kids out of school (although I took a week out of School when I was younger to go on a trip to South America with the Scouts), but I have no problem with people who choose to do so, and would support a change in the rules back to giving heads the discretion, they are the ones who know who is taking the piss and who is not.

aracer
    Free Member

You wouldn’t be able to give a staff member a week in school holidays in 5 years?

Much like lots of other “empowering” from the current government (see Pickles and localism).

Drac

You wouldn’t be able to give a staff member a week in school holidays in 5 years?

In 5 years I can yes I did say I struggle not that it was impossible. I can do it as there’s plenty of school holidays to choose from I also try to be fair about it to make sure everyone gets a chance, it’s not easy though as obviously most want the summer period

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A few examples for you : why i had to hold my breath whilst cleaning out the bilge pump in a force 8, 10 miles west of Jura

Indeed, but what if you were caught in a F9 3 miles north of Mull? You’d be stumped. Meanwhile the kid in school probably got a Geography lesson on Meterology and decided that going out in a boat in that weather was stupid as he’d have to hold his breath every time he used the bilge pump.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘The law is the law and must not be broken’ is closed to new replies.