Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 543 total)
  • The Last Jedi – Seen it, contains spoilers!
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I think they’re actually annoyed, and feel able to spout off here because of the semi-anonymity. We even have some sub-MRA crap creeping in because they dared to cast women as leaders.

It’s not that, it’s that they have admitted to going out of their way to make some very cliche points in an overly obvious way that treats the audience as if they are idiots. That grates, not that there were women in leadership positions.

Plenty of good sci fi that has strong women leads, Star Wars EP8 wasn’t one of them. In fact, I’d say it does women a disservice – it’s saying that if women want to join the military they’ll still want to keep their cutesy pink hair and nails. Hardly bringing down stereotypes.

Pook

poor cow in the bomber (arguably a much more vital craft) has to do everything herself!

Nope, rest of bomber crew killed in explosion.

Drac

You mean guided torpedos, luke made them dumb by turning off his targetting computer…. or do you mean the bombs used on the almost planet sized asteroid the falcon hid in? Either way, a little easier to believe in the moment.

The bombs as they’re bombs but not sure why they are any easier to believe.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ransos
    Free Member

It’s not that, it’s that they have admitted to going out of their way to make some very cliche points in an overly obvious way that treats the audience as if they are idiots. That grates, not that there were women in leadership positions.

It doesn’t grate with me, but then I’m not looking for things to be annoyed about.

zilog6128

Nope, rest of bomber crew killed in explosion.

lol. stop ruining my argument 😡

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It doesn’t grate with me, but then I’m not looking for things to be annoyed about.

Well it grated with my wife, a 5 foot nothing Filipino female investment banker who earns more than I do and deals white rugby playing types on a daily basis.

Apparently, feminist and or religious (eg Jedi) women of colour aren’t important. Just secular middle/upper class white women who are going to lead all the other species and races to their emancipation from tyranny. Much like how the likes of Madonna and Angelina see themselves. Whilst Boyega etc got tokenistic roles.

ransos
    Free Member

Apparently, feminist and or religious (eg Jedi) women of colour aren’t important. Just secular middle/upper class white women who are going to lead all the other species and races to their emancipation from tyranny. Much like how the likes of Madonna and Angelina see themselves. Whilst Boyega etc got tokenistic roles

So you wouldn’t be complaining if the lead women were black?

Pull the other one.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be complaining if it wasn’t a supernova of a cliche, that treats it’s audience as if they were mouth breathing imbeciles. Strong female leads great, tokenism and patronising plattitudes from white hollywood hippies that know better than you = irritating.

ransos
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be complaining if it wasn’t a supernova of a cliche, that treats it’s audience as if they were mouth breathing imbeciles. Strong female leads great, tokenism and patronising plattitudes from white middle class hippies that know better than you = irritating.

I see what you mean. You settle down to watch a treatise on contemporary feminism and instead you get spaceships shooting frikkin lazers at each other.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

😀

They should have kept it more subtle and upped the intelligence if they didn’t want their points to attract critique.

legend
    Free Member

How did the girl who got dumped by her parents and scraped a living selling scrap become middle-class? Does she have an Audi on PCP that’s still to be revealed?

Pook

She’s got an orange 5, but you can’t tell it from the stuff she recovers

funkmasterp

Sod feminism, when are the main cast going to be made up from the woefully under represented alien species. I want a film about the Canteena band from the first film. A comedy caper like the Blues Brothers, but entirely in an alien language and no subtitles.

scud
    Free Member

Sod feminism, when are the main cast going to be made up from the woefully under represented alien species. I want a film about the Canteena band from the first film. A comedy caper like the Blues Brothers, but entirely in an alien language and no subtitles.

And the soft pron version “Nookie with a Wookie”

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

How did the girl who got dumped by her parents and scraped a living selling scrap become middle-class? Does she have an Audi on PCP that’s still to be revealed?

Because judging by her accent, she obviously got adopted by poshos and sent to Jaku boarding school. That or they are culturally appropriating working class hardship by having some posho with no idea what it’s like to be a bit working class, play one. 😀

See, Star Wars EP8 is problematic.

JackHammer

The bombs are magnetic. I assume the bombers are made of some non-magnetic metal alloys or whatever.

ChrisL

I love Star Wars for its whole escapist space fantasy schtick. While several people have been complaining that it should have gone darker, that really isn’t what I want personally. Star Wars has always been heroes being heroic, villains being villainous and stories that may involve hardship and tragedy but where those fighting on the side of good can triumph in the end and even a villain might find redemption.

That’s probably what didn’t sit right with me with Rogue One, as it felt odd to put a story which says “it isn’t that clear cut, people do bad things for good reasons and a noble cause won’t mean a happy ending” into a universe which has spent 40 years saying the opposite.

Tom_W1987 – Member
    Plenty of good sci fi that has strong women leads, Star Wars EP8 wasn’t one of them. In fact, I’d say it does women a disservice – it’s saying that if women want to join the military they’ll still want to keep their cutesy pink hair and nails. Hardly bringing down stereotypes.

Never mind Rose, her sister and the A Wing pilot, eh? Also weren’t there a few women on the First Order bridges?

If episodes VII and VIII wanted to seem more politically prescient, they should have had the First Order being run by a bunch of disaffected late middle aged guys who wanted to make the galaxy great again, rather than a couple of kids who idolised a brutal regime they have no personal memory of. And Snoke should have had ridiculous hair. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Did you not see the wood burner on the millennium falcon?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Never mind Rose, her sister and the A Wing pilot, eh? Also weren’t there a few women on the First Order bridges?

All the main characters who influenced the primary plotline were white women, Rose and Finns character felt tokenistic to me.

If there were female bridge staff with lines, on the first order side… I don’t remember them.

Drac

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

One! And what effect did she have on the primary plotline? None! 😀

kelvin

What are you moaning about? Too few or too many key female characters?

ransos
    Free Member

It seems to vary.

Drac

That there weren’t any but there were but they were token ones, he doesn’t know he needs to check his with wife who earns more than him.

nicko74

Only just seen this, and was curious to see what others made of it. Bobba Fett’s comment is probably most in line with mine – for me it was just fine, but not much more. Definitely not as good as TFA in terms of keeping me gripped, or even in getting me to invest in the characters; it was all a bit “OMG let’s try this last ditch thing; omg now let’s try THIS last ditch thing; zomg, we need an even MORE last ditch thing”. But it was fine, and Ade Edmonson and Domhnall Gleeson were excellent.

I finally got to see it yesterday……..I liked it, don’t see what all the hate is about really.

The pacing was a bit off and could have done with a bit of trimming but generally, it was a Star Wars film.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Drac, it’s just that it was a clunky piss poor movie, with a clunky piss poor political message. Had either one of the two aspects been better or genuinely subversive, the movie would have been easier to enjoy. They weren’t and unlike the rather unoriginal TFA, the combination of poor story telling and lazy political tropes amounted to a galling assault on credulity.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Not enough Jedi in it for me.

funkmasterp

Not seen it, but does it have a political messsge or are you just looking for one? As stated by ransos and me, it’s a kids film about space wizards.

Genuinely curious and would like to see it for myself. Ten week old baby, she say no!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The critics seem to think so…. I’d agree.

funkmasterp

The critics seem to think so…. I’d agree.

Didn’t most critics love it though, which would point to said message not being clunky? I’ve never looked for a political agenda in Star Wars mainly because Star Wars. Each to their own though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That’s why I disagree with a lot of them. A lot of those critics are self congratulating white men/women, who seem out of touch with feminism outside of the west.

It just **** bored me, that’s it. Everything about it was predictably trite Californian Hippy Dippy crap.

mrchrispy

it was pony.
    end of thread.

ransos
    Free Member

That’s why I disagree with a lot of them. A lot of those critics are self congratulating white men/women, who seem out of touch with feminism outside of the west.

It just **** bored me, that’s it. Everything about it was predictably trite Californian Hippy Dippy crap.

Cobblers. You happened to dislike the film, so hammered google until you found a review to put a pseudo-intellectual gloss on it, failing to notice that the whole piece was intended as satire.

Drac

It just **** bored me, that’s it.

There that’s it you took a polictical stance and all the time it was because you found it boring. Finding it boring is fair enough.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

All the main characters who influenced the primary plotline were white women, Rose and Finns character felt tokenistic to me.

If there were female bridge staff with lines, on the first order side… I don’t remember them.

Rose and Finns Characters had their own story arc. They both went out to battle with the Guatemalan-American Poe Dameron in the speeders. They were each others love interest, not the white folks.

The people making rational decisions were women, Holdo had the best plan regardless of her hair colour.

Next you’ll be complaining about the misrepresentation of fish and how Porg on Porg violence has to end.

Like the film, don’t like the film, but stop turning everything into a complaint on society, or how stormtroopers are inherently racist. It’s a film where a talking bin and a wizard are best pals.

#moncalimarilivesmatter

brakes
    Free Member

can I just add that I know one of the actors who was piloting one of the ski speeders on Crait.

when I say know, I mean I’ve talked to him a couple of times at a kid’s party.

who wants to touch me?

Drac

who wants to touch me?

I hope he doesn’t use that line at the kid’s party.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Like the film, don’t like the film, but stop turning everything into a complaint on society, or how stormtroopers are inherently racist. It’s a film where a talking bin and a wizard are best pals.

Then don’t make the message so overt and hackneyed in the film in the first place – and then congratulate it for it’s daft attempt at social relevance!

revs1972
    Free Member

can I just add that I know one of the actors who was piloting one of the ski speeders on Crait.

who wants to touch me?

My company made those Ski Speeders and you can keep your hands to yourself :mrgreen:

legend
    Free Member

I seem to have missed the “message” can someone please fill me in? I always thought the standing message was “baddies are bad, goodies are good”?

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 543 total)

The topic ‘The Last Jedi – Seen it, contains spoilers!’ is closed to new replies.