The Landed Gentry

• This topic has 76 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by  yunki.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • The Landed Gentry
  • Kit

Have seen a few ‘uncomplimentary’ comments over the years on here about old family inherited land and those entrusted to their management. Just wondering where these negative attitudes come from i.e. experience? ideology? jealousy? Would you immediately dislike someone on the basis of their background, or are you prepared to give them a chance regardless?

coffeeking

Would you immediately dislike someone on the basis of their background, or are you prepared to give them a chance regardless?

This is STW, of course no-one will give anyone a chance if they’re in a different socio-economic group.

MSP

There are two groups of people in the world, “me” and “everyone else”. I hate everyone who isn’t in the “me” group, I don’t make any distinctions for socio economic groupings, its just “me” and “everybody else”.

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

Don’t automatically dislike the person, but certainly dislike any system that allows a person to live off the backs of others purely by virtue of birthright. Just seems fundementally unjust. I suppose my view would be different if I had been born with the luxury of wealth, privilege and property…

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

What MSP said. You bunch of ****s!!!

Object to the landed gentry? One is having a laaarf, isn’t one?

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

In my limited experience, those who have been born into an estate / land wich has been passed down through a few generations are preferable to the nouveau riche.

Like I say, limited experience though..

mrlebowski

live off the backs of others purely by virtue of birthrigh

Who exactly do you mean by that?

wrecker

Don’t automatically dislike the person, but certainly dislike any system that allows a person to live off the backs of others purely by virtue of birthright. Just seems fundementally unjust.

How? If you work hard and make good decisions all your life, would you not want your children to benefit when you die? If not, do you intend on leaving your house etc to the state or charity?

Mr Woppit

A rambler was stopped by a landowner from crossing his land. The rambler asked “How come it’s your land, then?”

The landowner said: “It’s mine because my ancestors fought for it.”

“OK”, said the rambler, “take off your coat and I’ll fight you for it now”…

On the other hand, there’s “self-made” landowning charmers like this one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3301361.stm

=1 for the Nouveau Riche comment.

in my experience, most of the hatred comes from people who have never actually spent any time with the ‘landed gentry’ – certianly from my time on shoots etc, the real ‘old money’ set were both down to earth, and very concious of the privileged position that they had been fortunate enough to be born into.

rkk01

Tend to be very nice people. Objectionable system.

Grew up in an area dominated by a large country estate. Some land had been sold off to smaller independent farmers, as had some houses in the village. other than that the estate owned everything, including the church, village pub, village hall, all the houses (which hadn’t been sold off etc).

All by dint of inheritance…

On the other hand, Sir John, was a very nice chap (direct, engaging, humorous, time for people), and his heir, Richard, likewise is well respected.

They have their own “issues” to deal with. Estate is worth a lot of money, but that is locked up in the property. Not easy to make it work and generate sufficient income to cover the estate overheads. Main house passed over to the National Trust to “preserve” although the family still live there.

Where I fall out with the system is that any access – shooting, walking, cycling is either barred, restricted or entirely discretionary.

I used to shoot on the estate, but that meant keeping in with the keeper and going on pigeon / vermin shoots. the system works on patronage, at all levels. That isn’t what I desire for our county. I was brought up to believe in a meritocracy.

ETA – agree with the points above. The gentry I have been involved with have a very strong belief in their “custody” of the countryside rather than “ownership” (although of course, they do own..)

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

If not, do you intend on leaving your house etc to the state or charity

?

Sod the state! In fact, sod people! Donkey Sanctuaries are where its at

They’ll be really grateful, and put in a word with god. Everyone knows donkeys have a hotline to god since the whole Bethlehem thing

druidh

My first wifes father owned a large farm in Lincolnshire. All inherited from his father etc.

I reckon he was the hardest working man I’ve ever met, so I wouldn’t begrudge him anything.

Just wondering where these negative attitudes come from i.e. experience? ideology? jealousy?

In my case the negative attitude comes from ideology.

TuckerUK

In my limited experience, those who have been born into an estate / land wich has been passed down through a few generations are preferable to the nouveau riche.

Oh definitely, nothing worse than ‘new money’, and what they do with that money.

I don’t hold anything at all against those born into wealth, good for them.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Did he keep donkeys on his farm? Are they native to Lincolnshire?

wrecker

I love donkeys.

druidh

Isn’t that illegal?

wrecker

Dont ask dont tell.

deviant

Its jealousy….people on this forum are vitriolic in their disdain for inherited wealth, rich kids using their parents money etc….

Funnily enough these same people are happy to fund their own off spring through university and see nothing wrong with leaving their house for their children either….same principal just a different scale.

Most people are hypocritical on this issue.

My own opinion is that the wealth was earned at some point….it may have been earned hundreds of years ago but it was still earned….nobody ever got given money for nothing (lottery wins are a modern phenomenon)….’old money’ often came from raising an army and showing loyalty to a particular Monarch (massive risk if you back the wrong side) and recieving land in return….or somebody got off their arse and built up a business that became hugely successful and still provides an income or was sold for a fortune….

….but because people have very short memories they just see a rich person who doesnt work and they seethe with rage….very sad people, they should enjoy their own lives more instead of raging over what they dont have.

joao3v16

I don’t think most people give a moments thought to the ‘landed gentry’

Until someone says “you can’t ride your bike here”

Then suddenly they’re the most hated people on the planet

dislike any system that allows a person to live off the backs of others purely by virtue of birthright

Eh?

If it’s been legally handed to them as their inheritance, then what’s unjust about it?

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Oh definitely, nothing worse than ‘new money’, and what they do with that money.

I don’t hold anything at all against those born into wealth, good for them. I do hope you are joking/trolling

peterfile

Just out of curiosity, what’s the alternative?

Pass all of your estate to the state when you die?

hmmmm. I’d rather old money kept it than give it to an inept government.

MSP

My own opinion is that the wealth was earned at some point.

Some of it may have been, for others it was a gift from royalty for being a suckass.

deviant

Dont worry, the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell us that earnings should be capped at 100k….inheritance should be consigned to history and we should all live in identical houses a short bike ride from our place of work….oh joy.

druidh

… and eat nothing but lentils.

wrecker

OK whose ass do I gots to suck for some land?

druidh

Ass/donkey – much the same, yeah?

mikewsmith

Jealousy pure and simple.

Most of the larger land owners have done loads for their area and community.

Of the ones I have met most are great and down to earth.

Unlike some who feel entitled and carry a massive chip on their shoulders.

And so much better than some of the “New Money” lot

wrecker

Ass/donkey – much the same, yeah?

skillz

Premier Icon Mad Pierre
    Subscriber

Ideology on my part. Read up on how the “landed gentry” got hold of the land in the first place e.g. Enclosure Acts etc….

dabble

There are two groups of people in the world, “me” and “everyone else”. I hate everyone who isn’t in the “me” group, I don’t make any distinctions for socio economic groupings, its just “me” and “everybody else”.

This x infinity

edit- everybody else is also covered by “you”

Its jealousy….people on this forum are vitriolic in their disdain for inherited wealth, rich kids using their parents money etc….

Opposition to the monarchy as expressed by many on this forum is based on “jealousy” ? Are you sure about about that ?

Are you sure it has nothing to do with an ideological belief that rights should come before privileges, and they are simply jealous that they are not the sovereign ruler of the UK ?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber
    deviant

ernie, not talking about the Monarchy….even in a republic there would still be inherited land, wealth etc for people to get their knickers in a twist about.

samuri

There’s one now.

fasthaggis

Don’t worry

Mr Perry will reveal all on C4 next week

Mr Woppit

Of course – being born into wealth and privelege – I’d HATE that! I’d IMMEDIATELY give it all away…

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Did you watch last nights fasthaggis? A quality programme raising some interesting points, fronted by an extremely talented fruit-loop, and with some amazing results?

Whatever next?

ernie, not talking about the Monarchy….even in a republic there would still be inherited land, wealth etc for people to get their knickers in a twist about.

So you can accept then that some people can be opposed to inherited wealth and privileges, such as enjoyed by some of the House of Lords landed gentry, without it being a jealousy issue, but an ideological one. Excellent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘The Landed Gentry’ is closed to new replies.