Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The Lakes and brake pads
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m doing 200km in the Lakes next weekend. If it’s wet, will my brake pads die?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Na, be fine.

el_boufador

Take some spares anyway? Not like they take up much room.

ton

last time i did 200km in the lakes, i was on a bontrager with avid v brakes.

you will be reight.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d have a fairly recent bikes worth of sintered pads on there that had been well bedded in and expect them to last well beyond that one trip.

scuttler

Should be more concerned about tyre carcass I tell thee!!

ebennett

Yup, I’ve only done the borrowdale bash 3 times but I’ve managed to slice my sidewall on it twice! On the same descent. Maxxis DHR 2 as well so not like it’s a flimsy tyre.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Castle crag? Aye, I don’t do it any more for that reason. And it’s not actually very good either really.

butcher

I hear these stories but I’ve never come close to going through a set of pads in those distances anywhere. The lakes is mostly solid rock anyway, tyres are definitely a bigger concern.

ebennett

Castle crag? Aye, I don’t do it any more for that reason. And it’s not actually very good either really

Yep, certainly not worth the cost of a new tyre!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I don’t find the Lakes especially hard on brake pads.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, your local riding will be worse on pads than the Lakes molgrips.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

I hear these stories but I’ve never come close to going through a set of pads in those distances anywhere.

It’s a particular set of circumstances that causes this problem. In the Brecon Beacons (or parts thereof) the top layer of soil is sand and a bit of clay, and when it’s raining there’s enough surface water to make it into a watery slurry that splatters, and when it gets into your brake calipers the surface tension holds water and grit between the brake pad and disc. This destroys your pads in the course of a ride of few hours. If the soil is rockier or muddier or not raining enough the you don’t get it. So count yourself lucky! Sounds like if it’s rocky enough I’ll be fine.

Well I’m debating wether or not to fit suspension forks to my adventure bike for this trip. I prefer riding it rigid for long distances, it’s that sort of bike. Of course this trip is going to be very rocky, and whilst I am well used to rocky riding on rigid it makes you go a lot slower. I’m thinking this might reduce the risk of slicing a tyre.

dc1988

I would start with plenty of life in my pads and bring spares. Perhaps fit new ones and if you have half worn ones then take them as spare.

I’ve not often gone through pads but if you get the right conditions (usually epic rainfall) then it can takes hours rather than months to wear through a set.

bigfoot
    Free Member

live in the lakes so most of my riding is here. brake pads seem to last a long time no matter what the conditions are even when riding a lot of non rocky steep forest trails. the dirt/mud just isn’t that harsh gritty stuff that wheres them out. the only reason i reguarly check them is because of going elsewhere and racing.

i have twice worn new pads to the metal in a weekends racing at a very wet ard moors and an equally wet dunnoon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The Lakes and brake pads’ is closed to new replies.