• This topic has 44 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • The knock on the door every parent dreads!!
  • lowey

It came on Thursday night and signalled the worst 2 days of my life.

Two of my eldest daughters mates, “Kelsey’s had an accident!” Legged it to the fields at the back of our house to find the rope swing over the valley she was on had snapped. She was at the bottom of the ravine, screaming her heart out, 80′ down. Slithered down to her, blood all over her muddy face and her arms clearly out of shape.

IN A&E her x’rays confirmed both wrists broken and would need and operation.

Holding the anaesthetic mask to her face in the room next to theatre and kissing her forehead as she slipped away was just the most heartbreaking thing I have ever had to do and then be ushered out of the room by a nurse, I just fell apart.

She was in theatre for an hour, followed by all day throwing up.

Got her home tonight and starting the long process of getting her better. She cant pick anything up, we have to feed her, do everything for her. Still, the most precious thing in my life is back with us and, I have to say, coping a damn sight better than I am.

You can only wrap them up in cotton wool so much, and I suppose its part of growing up, but time like these are hard.

Keep them safe people, they are the most precious things in the world.

She was smiling all the time though.. proud as **** of her.

sc-xc

Hope she’s OK mate, really feeling for you.

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Hope she mends quickly, and things get back to normal for you all asap.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Dave, I didn’t even know you had kids!

You can only wrap them up in cotton wool so much

no, you have to let them make their own mistakes – and not feel guilty when it happens!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Look after her and I speek for all at STW get well soon

Junkyard
    Free Member

feckinghell mate hope everything turns out OK.
    Will e-mail you later.
    Yer right though cant wrap them up in cotton wool.

Dylan08
    Free Member

All the best to her – hope she heals up quickly and with a minimum of pain

🙂

singletrackmind

Had to ring my mum and dad when my sister sledged into a goal post smashng her tib and fib out the side of her leg. Went something like “Yvonnes had an accident” . ” IS it bad?” “Hospital bad” I replied.

No fun for any parent, She will recover quickly and be herself in no time at all

sharki
    Free Member

Healing vibes to her and a big manly hug from me to you.

Been through the helpless father thing a few times and it sucks a big one, shows us nothing matters in life, more then our children…

TC of her, you and all who are close..

Shane

Hadge
    Free Member

I’m keeping my fingers crossed it never happens here. I know it sounds stupid but I said I’d give up any amount of money to know my kids never have to be in hospital, espcially when they’re young. Still got them crossed too.

Hope she gets better matey and best wishes. You can’t wrap em up in cotton wool, kids will be kids as we’ve all been there.

ski
    Free Member

Mine is sleeping/snoring next to me as I type this, she found a slow worm in our allotment for the first time today, got covered in mud, lost her cycling glove, shared her apple juice with me, made friends with a new lad on our street, cycled home with me and made me smile more than I can remember today 😉

Sometimes its easy to forget the little things, but when things do take a turn, you remember every second and they feel like a lifetime.

Hope she gets well soon lowey, take care.

2hottie
    Free Member

Broken wrists hurt like fooook! hope she gets better asap, make sure she does as the doc says, also would strongly suggest getting her some thing like this, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3543

I have one and would not go anywhere without. Her wrists will be weak so a re-break can happen very easily even a few months down the line.

Hope she gets better soon

2hottie

scaredypants

wow – hope she heals fast (like kids do !)

shands
    Free Member

Hope she heals well and fast. As kids go, she probably will. It will be you worrying about it for far longer than she will. I broke my colar bone 6 times when I was kid and it never really bothered me apart from the actual breaking. My mother though was in bits everytime and worried like hell for months and months after everytime!

knottie8
    Free Member

I had the call many years ago. My son was at the local trails with a snapped wrist and ribs. Coughing up blood etc. He was looking grim and it scared six bales of s**t out of me. He’s 19 now and I still worry about him. Anyway hope your young’un gets well soon .

takisawa2

Never mind the young lass…hope you get better soon mate. 🙂

And fair play to you for letting your youngspring swing over 80ft ravines…!!!
    Sense of adventure sadly missing for a lot of children these days. Our eldest (3yrs) is in the early stages of Chicken Pox at the moment, spots seem to be doubling every hour. Still charging around like a mad un’ today though.

oldfart

all the best from the OF heal quick and perfect.

Hairychested
    Free Member

If it makes you any better I wasalmost killed by a lorry as a young lad. “You on’t be walking fast ever again”, they said in hospital. A month later I was back home and climbing trees with mates.
    Kids heal in no time, she’ll be fine! All the best, both of you.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I guess it’s all been said up there but get well soon Kelsey, and take care both. You never stop worrying about them (my eldest is 21) . . . “you won’t wear that when you’re out on your own will you” was what my Mum said earlier when I showed her my new full face helmet . . . I think I know what she meant 😉

wors

aye and he wanted to bathe her wounds in salt water too 😈

RustySpanner

Brave girl, hope she’s feeling a bit better.

Healing vibes despatched from us – perhaps if you buy her something nice it might speed up the process. Probably not a yo-yo for a few weeks though?
    Ice cream helps as well, I believe….

uponthedowns
    Free Member

You can only wrap them up in cotton wool so much, and I suppose its part of growing up, but time like these are hard.

Understand your feelings but you have to strike a balance between protecting them an d letting them learn by experience. Just wish mine were out in the local woods making swings- its all I can do to get them away from the Disney channel.

BoardinBob

Could be worse.

1993, my parents get a phone call circa 10pm on a Saturday night. I’m in the police cells. I was 15 years old.

I’d been arrested for shagging a girl, drunk (both of us), in the local park.

When my dad arrives to collect me he discovers that the girl involved is the daughter of his biggest client at work.

🙁 😆

Free Member

Hi Bud,

Sorry to hear about your little one & I hope she’s on the mend quickly without any hassles!

Mind, she’ll be proud of it when she’s older “ahh, it was nothing, a few breaks, it didn’t hurt that much” … and when you fall off of your bike, busting a rib, you’ll be taunted for it hurting loads when she didn’t cry once.

Again, all the best.

Jonathan.

samuri
    Free Member

That’s a bummer lowey but people heal. Glad she’s going to be ok in the long run. It’s certainly a scary experience to go through. I remember watching my lad fly down the stairs and land on his face on the cabinet at the bottom. He’s still got the scar today.

Never believed in cotton wool myself. They learn faster without it. Building swings in the woods sounds like a fine activity.

radoggair
    Free Member

and kissing her forehead as she slipped away

Dude, heart sank when i read this part, i thought the worst had happened. Least she’s back home doing well. CHrist, when i was young we used to do crap that my parents would never know about, we’re kids and invincible remember. When they did find out a slap round the lug by daddy-o sorted me out ( for a few days anyway)

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Hope you both make a full recovery

Much better she was screaming her heart out,at least you know everything important is working ok

The next knock at the door you can fear is the spotty yoof that comes to take her out

mrsflash
    Free Member

Heal quick Kelsey.

That must have been so frightening for you Lowey, but it makes me glad to read that there are still kids out there who are allowed to be kids.

Drac

Get well soon.

And no you can’t watch them forever she was unlucky enough to be hurt but at least it’s only wrists a drop like that could have been alot worse.

Simon-E

Being a dad too, I feel for you lowey.

The sensible part of me thought the same as Drac – “could have been alot worse.” Hopefully you’ll be able to look back laughing about it in time.

I gave my parents a nasty scare when I was younger (m/cycle crash). After 5 weeks in hospital I was still so weak my Dad had to lift me in and out of the bath, the first time in over 20 years. Kids, eh.

sv

Get well soon to the young ‘un.

myheadsashed

Judging by the title I thought you were about to meet your sons boyfriend for the first time……

She’ll be fine……….I got run over by a lorry as a kid, my mum was on the next stretcher in the ambulance…she’d passed out when she saw me – bitch. 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

There are worse knocks on the door, trust me! Hope she’s doing better, will be back causing trouble soon I’m sure!

TN
    Free Member

Lowey, how’s she doing? Hope she’s feeling better and it hasn’t put her off doing the same again. 😉

slowclimb
    Free Member

I didnt know what proper worry was until we had kids 🙂
    Hope she is better soon

hora
    Free Member

Sounds awful but I remember reading a news story once, a young boy accidently hung himself in a tree (tragic accident). His Dad was quoted as saying that he was a live-wire, a ball of energy and loved exploring and given the same chance again he wouldnt change a thing about his Son. Tragic story but warming (in a way).

Get well soon.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Could be worse.

1993, my parents get a phone call circa 10pm on a Saturday night. I’m in the police cells. I was 15 years old.

I’d been arrested for shagging a girl, drunk (both of us), in the local park.

When my dad arrives to collect me he discovers that the girl involved is the daughter of his biggest client at work.

I would say the OP experience is far, far worse than some kid narking a girl in a park.

freddyg
    Free Member

slowclimb – Member

I didnt know what proper worry was until we had kids [:)]

Me too. My little lad (aged 3.5) get’s his plaster cut off this evening – he broke his left fib&tib jumping puddles with his grandad. It was the first time we’d left him with anyone. When I got the phone call from my Dad, I couldn’t speak. My Dad, bless him, was distraught. These little creatures are so precious.

Hope she’s healing well Lowey, and that you’re okay too.

Pook

i did that! I did that! Some random polish man helped me. Never been able to say thanks to him.

hora
    Free Member

lowey, I had a look through my GP’s files. There was a note in there saying ‘possible parental abuse’? – basically I used to climb coal sheds, trees, walls, anything and then…well fall off!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘The knock on the door every parent dreads!!’ is closed to new replies.