Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The joy of making kindling
  • handyman
    Free Member

Today as i was making some more kindling i realized that i started making for my mum at the age of 9, its one lifes simple pleasures imo anyone else enjoy making kindling/cutting logs

mefty
    Free Member

I always used to split logs for our fire when 13, still love it 30 years later. Although garden wood stocks pretty depleted so we buy in wood now.

Drac

Yup to both and off on Sunday to get several more tonne shifted.

thump thump thump CRAAAAAACK!

loves it!

MrNutt
    Free Member

this thread is gold.

Northwind

Chop wood, carry water…

We used to go on holiday to an old house that was only heated by open wood fires, I'd just happily spend hours out the back slowly decimating the wood stocks, such a pleasure…

woffle
    Free Member

Great for making kindling 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was a handiman at a pub years ago and one of my jobs was splitting logs for their big open fire. I GOT PAID for it!

Andy-R

Cutting and splitting logs always takes me back to when I was a kid of 10 or 12. My Dad and I often used to spend an hour or two, out in one of the outbuildings (it was a farm), cutting ash logs with a big two-man crosscut and then splitting them. We'd talk about all sorts of stuff while we were doing this – like tractors, bikes, building radios, wheel building, all sorts of good and useful things.
    We didn't have electricity out there either in those days, so it was always accompanied by the hiss of a pressure lantern. My Dad was good with an axe (and never hesitated to tell me so), and was always warning me of the dangers of "over reaching" and damaging the handle, and telling me to "look where you want to hit and you will".

As a matter of fact, I'll be using what was his favourite axe to split some logs later today – and still with his hand-made handle too. It's one of my most treasured possesions, sentimental old fool that I am….

cuckoo
    Free Member

I find it therapeutic in some way. My mind clears of stress and worries and you just focus on the repetitive chopping. It has a similar effect on me to riding a bike 🙂

anokdale
    Free Member

Never had woodburners at home then i bought my house 13 yrs ago and feeding the burner is all of the above, definate mans thing and hard graft getting the stocks in place for the burning season, now have a place in France so have two burners to feed. Suddenly become an expert on Axes, Saws, chainsaws and wood in general. Double joy. 😉

GrahamS

I buy kindling and logs in bags from the local garage.
    Can't say I get immense satisfaction from it.

Am I doing it wrong?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Am I doing it wrong?

you missed the bit where you have to poach the logs from the forest, dodging the gamekeepers, bears, wild boar, wolves and vampires 🙁

pjbarton
    Free Member

ever missed and hit the log with the handle?.. while your dad was watching? – oh, the shame….

Nick

Am I doing it wrong?

must be costing a fortune

GrahamS

Nah, we just have a wood fire in the living room that only really gets lit a dozen times a year. I still have bits of our 2008 xmas tree to burn! 😀

jackthedog
    Free Member

My Dad and I often used to spend an hour or two, out in one of the outbuildings (it was a farm), cutting ash logs with a big two-man crosscut and then splitting them. We'd talk about all sorts of stuff while we were doing this – like tractors, bikes, building radios, wheel building, all sorts of good and useful things.

This warms the heart.

ourmaninthenorth

As a result of this thread, I shall light a fire tonight.

And that Roselli hatchet is a rather beautiful thing.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Modern man in Primitive instincts shocker.

Nah, it really is the best feeling isn't it? I used to do it with my dad too.
    Currently watching frogs in the pond outside my window as I work- hits the same kind of spot 🙂 COME ON SPRING!!!!!

Geronimo
    Free Member

To do it properly you should really use a piece of knapped flint with a small log as a mallet.

I'm considerably more kindlingly than you.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘The joy of making kindling’ is closed to new replies.