Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The job that needs doing, but you know it will take away your soul
  • Conan257
    Free Member

My left/front shifter is very stiff going into a bigger ring… Pretty sure it needs a strip down and service as it’s been like that with 2 front mechs…

But when I service the right/rear shifter it took me around 2 hours to get the little spring into place!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Probably not the shifter just the cable and maybe the derailed could do with some lube

Conan257
    Free Member

Cables are 3 months old, replaced in Jan, mech gets lubed every time the bike gets hosed down…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MaryHinge
    Free Member

Remove the cable entry bung and spray looooads of TF2/GT85 in there, and operate the lever a few times.

Always worth oiling the cable or fitting a new one (oiled before assembly) even if your current one has only been on 3 months, it’s been a damp old winter.

Also check cable routing for tight bends etc.

EDIT and it might start out as a soul destroying job, but think how nice it will be to have slick gears again, and how proud you’ll be that you sorted it yourself.

Conan257
    Free Member

Missus is off pampering herself on Sunday…

Think I’ll be doing it then!

jools182
    Free Member

bleeding brakes

usually ending with damaging the surface of something with brake fluid, kitchen table, floor, my eye

LoCo
    Free Member

Sorting the fuel pipes on the ZX7 R which are a total pain as my hands are too big 👿

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

You do know that shifters are generally reckoned not to be user servicable?

trail_rat
    Free Member

sanding and skimming my walls back to perfect finish 🙁

looked like a hatchet attack when i started.

slowely getting there, just lose the will to live when ever i start it

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@Trail Rat – thanks for reminding me…..one of this weekend’s jobs is painting the home office 🙁

Did the ceiling last weekend, walls filled and flatted during the week, a tin of “toasted almond” lurking in the utility room, giving a light cough in my direction every time I pass.

My life is ebbing away.

I’m off to mop the kitchen/utility/hall floors now, to take my mind off painting!

Conan257
    Free Member

roadie_in_denial – Member
    You do know that shifters are generally reckoned not to be user servicable?

Talk like that would have lost us the war!

Zero cost to service a shifter, compared to £lots to buy a new one!

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve serviced shifters – and also other stuff you’re not supposed to be able to do, like replacing bearings in freehubs. However personally I’d go with Mary Hinge’s recommendation – I’m far from convinced that taking one to pieces is actually preferable to squirting loads of light lube in.

yunki
    Free Member

raising my children responsibly..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The job that needs doing, but you know it will take away your soul’ is closed to new replies.