Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The Jeremy Kyle freak show
  • riski4130
    Free Member

Why do scummy people feel the need to air their problems on national TV? Is it just an extension of standing in the street or front garden/rubbish tip and screaming at each other? If I acted/looked anything like they do I’d never leave the house. Well not until I’d at least washed my hair or brushed my teeth.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if jeremy kyle was so moral and superior, then why is his show sponsored by a gambling site? oh hang on… it’s because he’s a money grabbing self-righteous nasty man who makes money off societies poorest and most vulnerable demographic.

it wasn’t too bad to begin with, you could tell he was an ex radio DJ or whatever with no expertise other than shouting his opinions, often unfounded with no consideration for the mental health and/or addictions the poor people on stage have suffered, let alone the challenges of being part of a demographic that faces the most challenges in moving away from their upbringing…. but then it quickly became the jerry springer of the UK and he started believing his own hype.

i dont watch it, but often have the misfortune of walking into the lounge to speak to a patient whilst it’s on

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I like the Jeremy Kyle show, makes me feel middle class 😀

Kryton57

Why do people feel the need to air their problems on STW? Is it just an extension of standing in the street or front garden/rubbish tip and screaming at each other? If I acted/looked anything like they do I’d never leave the house. Well not until I’d at least washed my hair or brushed my teeth.

FTFY 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh hang on… it’s because he’s a money grabbing self-righteous nasty man who makes money off societies poorest and most vulnerable demographic.

yet they keep voting his show as the best day time show 😕

Saw it once he is very smarmy and up there with Piers Morgan.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

philconsequence + 1

I hate that programme — voyeuristic, patronising and harmful

philconsequence
    Free Member

imagine the two of them, sexy dancing on stage in badly fitting primark bikinis as bus loads of people brought in from the jobcentre shout at them for not doing it properly.

tazzymtb

imagine the two of them, sexy dancing on stage in badly fitting primark bikinis

cheers Philly…I now have the strangest boner!

riski4130
    Free Member

Lol. That told me

Rubber_Buccaneer

I love that programme — voyeuristic, patronising and harmful

rudebwoy
    Free Member

you go and rod your tubes 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

riski4130 – Member
    Why do scummy people feel the need to air their problems on national TV? Is it just an extension of standing in the street or front garden/rubbish tip and screaming at each other? If I acted/looked anything like they do I’d never leave the house. Well not until I’d at least washed my hair or brushed my teeth.

I watch it cos I know one day he will get knocked out by one of his ‘guests’. And as to why they go on there – they get paid and put up in a hotel the night before the show.

For someone who doesn’t have a lot (and no job to go to) a crate of stella and 40 fags is a useful lure it would seem.

Rubber_Buccaneer

rudebwoy – Member
    you go and rod your tubes

I’m ashamed to say I really do like it for all those wrong reasons. I guess looking down on others is kind of fun. I love watching Biggest Loser for similar reasons though my girlfriend gets tired of me shouting ‘blow a snot bubble!’ every time one of the poor chubbies gets a bit emotional.

makeitorange
    Free Member

Just finished reading a book called “The Psychopath Test” by Jon Ronson, at one point in it he interviews a researcher for a TV show like the Jeremy Kyle show (it doesn’t actually name the show). Apparently one of the first questions this research would ask the applicants for the show was what medication they were on so she could work if they had the right kind mental disorder to make them entertaining!!

maccruiskeen

Apparently one of the first questions this research would ask the applicants for the show was what medication they were on so she could work if they had the right kind mental disorder to make them entertaining!!

Theres an awful lot of that on these confrontational programmes. Theres a kind of person who is vulnerable and seeks a sort of reasurrance from being considered important enough to be put in the limelight like that. As an over-keen, under-thoughtful researcher (who’s just excited even to have the job) people like that are a shoe-in, they are the first people to come forward and if you had any sense of a duty of care they’d be the first people you’d politely turn away. But if you turn them away then the kind of people who have an interesting story, and are psycologically in the right place to be able to tell it are really hard to find. My gf had to find 5 contributors to a documentary – she had to make 3000 approaches (our home office wall looked like that scene in Homeland where Claire Danes loses her marbles) to get a short list of around 100 and then from that 100 filter out the ones that were a danger to themselves and the ones that were a danger to her. But that was for a doc that would take 6 months to make. Its not likely anyone is going to that length to churn out 5 programmes a week on ITV.

A friend of ours when they were at a low ebb, on their way to breakdown, called up to go on a Kilroy (I think) to talk about whatever their issue-du-jour was. For about two to three year afterwards researchers would call her up pretty much weekly -‘we’re doing a show about “x” can you come and be a person who’s been effected by “x” ‘, pretty much feeding her a storyline in the hope that she’d be suggestible enough to do it.

I don’t know if it was pre ‘the big hack’ but does anyone remember the thread here with the sister of the woman who’d been sucked into one of those “make women take their clothes off and cry” programmes that were the fad a few years back – she logged on to join the thread and gave quite an insight into the how entrapping the whole process was.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Whilst I agree that the JK show is about as awful as TV gets, he redeems himself slightly by doing that Radio 2 show where he gets Daily Mail and Guardian readers on the phone going into orbit at each other. Although why he changes his surname for it still baffles me, we all know it’s him.

maccruiskeen

They are both stage names – his real name in Jeremy Vyle

[aside] when the site was hacked and we all needed to re-register I wanted the login ‘The Real Jeremy Vine’ but they wouldn’t let me have it. [/aside]

KennySenior
    Free Member

Case solved 🙂

bigblackshed

Kenny Senior – Member
    that Radio 2 show where he gets Daily Mail and Guardian readers on the phone going into orbit at each other.

That just made my day!

billyboy
    Free Member

I had some folk stopping with me who’d formed the habit of switching the TV on in the morning and watching this junk. It made me cringe.

It seemed very like the voyeurism of the Roman Empire arenas. In place of the blood and guts of the gladiatorial contests you are watching human degradation, humiliation and disgrace………….same thing, just without the violence (most of the time).

fasthaggis

Kenny

Top marks sir.

There is a radio 2 area at work ( they play it all day) that I try to avoid when his program is on.
    It sends me in to silent rant mode. 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘The Jeremy Kyle freak show’ is closed to new replies.