Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 369 total)
  • The James Webb space telescope
  • Northwind

It’ll be pictures of Hitler- as foretold in the documentary Contact

seosamh77
    Free Member

Biden meant to be realising an image tonight about 10pm, 5pm ET.

slowoldman
    Northwind

Why am I surprised that it’s late 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

FFS Joe. C’mon.

seosamh77
    Free Member

They are just playing with us now! Mon Joe shift it! Wakey, wakey! 😆

mattyfez

I’m guessing it’s going to be interesting if the first images are being unveiled by Biden.

mashr

Either amazing. . . or massively underwhelming until you get you’re head around what you’re looking at

seosamh77
    Free Member

Here we go!

mashr
    CountZero

Jeez, there’s a shit-ton of gravity lensing going on in there! 😳

frankconway

Oh my!
    Loads of pics on Tuesday; I have no concept of what’s to come but cannot wait!

seosamh77
    Free Member

https://cdn.spacetelescope.org/archives/images/screen/heic0406a.jpg

that’s the hubble ultra deep field, guessing the webb one is just a fraction of this image.

That was the worst tv presentation I’ve ever seen btw, but i’ll let it slide since it’s just a preview! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m guessing the specs of dust you can see when zoomed in are also galaxies. Canny wait till some boffin explains this properly the morra!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ah, it’s that first image I posted the other day. Here’s the 2 of them over laid.

SMACS 0723

seosamh77
    Free Member

Here’s a cropped in version too, gives a better comparison.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Whoa.

Klunk
    Free Member

love the gravitational lensing in that image.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Apparently half 2 for the other images.

nickc

Given how spectacularly massive our own galaxy is, that image takes some time to digest.

TheFlyingOx

I think pictures like this must create a kind of existential fear in some folk to the point where it’s just easier to pretend it isn’t real. Could anyone really come to terms with the magnitude of what that image conveys and then think to themselves “yup, it’s just us in the universe”?

Cougar

Apparently half 2 for the other images.

Don’t forget daylight saving. 10:30am Eastern, It’ll be half three here.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ahh, aye was an hour late last night that’ll be why.

This is class, takes a minute to load properly btw. zoom out.

http://web.wwtassets.org/specials/2022/jwst-smacs/#

johndoh
    Free Member

It is utterly incomprehensible. And all those little dots and swirls are galaxies that will be super-massive just like ours – and the black spaces all around them are even bigger.

mashr

Made the mistake of opening the image on a bigger screen. Going to need a wee lie down I think . . .

neilthewheel

From another perspective, we’re as far distant as all those galaxies!

big_scot_nanny

From a purely technical standpoint, resolution on that is spectacular. So much detail. At first glance it looks like another Hubble deep field with added gravity lens fun. But on closer inspection… holy crap!

Kinda (kinda!) reminds me of when I went to a 20″ dobsonian from 12″. I spent the first few sessions looking at things I knew and going “whoah! That’s a lot more detail!”, but then moved into seeing things I simply could not before. I guess that’s where JWST will go to. Bit bigger in scale than my wee scopes though 🙂

I agree with nick and Ox – the implications for me come in waves. It’s staggering what we are looking at, simply awe inspiring. First thing that comes to mind is surely, sometime, we must be able to figure out a way to jump between these islands. Was it in The Algebraist that they figured out how to use the blackholes at the centre of galaxies to ‘jump’?

Anyhoo – looking forward to the next stuff!

seosamh77
    Free Member

The 2 images I overlaid, I read that the hubble version took 2 weeks of exposures, the webb one took 12.5 hours. Which is a nice feature to have!

mattyfez

From another perspective, we’re as far distant as all those galaxies!

This is worth a watch, the scales are litteraly incomprehencible:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0017njc/secrets-of-size-atoms-to-supergalaxies-series-1-2-going-big

Richie_B

Jeez, there’s a shit-ton of gravity lensing going on in there! 😳

I’ve watched various astronomers describing the lensing but that is the best description so far.

Has anyone worked out how to resolve lensed light into an image?

mashr

Latest reveal programme now on: https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Don’t have sound on so no idea what’s happening

Cougar

Don’t have sound on so no idea what’s happening

YouTube has (laggy) subtitles.

leffeboy

mind blown.  The images are so frickin awesome

ffs, the detail is crazy

edit: I may just have messed myself with the level of detail that they can go to 🙁

dyna-ti

The James Webb hobby telescope.

All very nice, but not a lot of good.

johndoh
    Free Member

The James Webb hobby telescope.

All very nice, but not a lot of good.

Expand…

mashr

Expand…

I’d rather he didn’t bother

bigdaddy

Expand…

I’d rather he didn’t bother

Indeed, if you have nothing positive to say and all that. It’s just stunning what we can achieve, these images are mind blowing and beyond comprehension. Wow, we are such a small piece in such an enormous universe, and to be able to look back in time like that is astonishing. And I’m out of descriptors! (The live feed is crap though!)

Cougar

Saved the best till last. Hell fire.

johndoh
    Free Member

Indeed, if you have nothing positive to say and all that. It’s just stunning what we can achieve, these images are mind blowing and beyond comprehension. Wow, we are such a small piece in such an enormous universe, and to be able to look back in time like that is astonishing. And I’m out of descriptors!

And this is just the beginning – over the years they will turn their attention away from known galaxies and constellations and onto the as yet unseen, unfound things out there.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 369 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.