Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 369 total)
  • The James Webb space telescope
  • retrorick

🤣

CountZero

Getting excited now!

retrorick

Thought it wasn’t going to launch 😲

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s shifting now

CountZero

Performance nominal.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Mad that it’s losing altitude. Didn’t expect that. Guess it’s just building up speed

Klunk
    Free Member

i guess checking facebook on your phone means all is well 🙂

creakingdoor
    Free Member

I assume the discarded components will fall back to earth and burn up on reentry? Shame they can’t be reused a la SpaceX

CountZero

Mad that it’s losing altitude. Didn’t expect that. Guess it’s just building up speed

It’s following the nominal performance trajectory exactly, according to the graphics on screen, the drop in altitude during that stage of the flight was explained by the commentary.

Klunk
    Free Member

climbing (about 100km a minute) faster than Pog must be juicing

seosamh77
    Free Member

Class live pics at the end there. 🙂 Delighted this is away without at hitch, amazing. Canny wait for the first images.

Hohum
    Free Member

It looked like it was a flawless launch.

What an amazing Christmas present for everyone involved in it!

neilforrow

That was spot on! Yer, that live vid was so good!

Glad it got the first part out the way!

poah
    Free Member

the drop in altitude during that stage of the flight was explained by the commentary.

gravity boost for speed?

poah
    Free Member
    scuttler

Brilliant! Big up johndoh family and the rest of the team. When Webb sprung away from the final bit of Ariane you could feel Shiny-head Launch Director’s relief. He must be down the beach three bottles of Pastis in by now.

Agree it didn’t look like it was going anywhere but when it did it cleared the tower licketty-split!

Where is Webb website is ace.

I love science, technology and engineering me.

EDIT. Still got to unpack that mother… 😬

slowoldman

I bet there are some really pissed ESA employees in Kourou at the moment.

tails
    Free Member

Wow! That thing is shifting 1.5 mi/s to think all the interesting stuff is yet to come. To think what might be found.

CountZero

gravity boost for speed?

From what my poor, limited brain can grasp, the dip is barely noticeable really, it’s a regular arc, but I believe that the slight drop in altitude is down to the lack of propulsion at that stage, between main stage shutdown and second stage ignition, it shows more on the graphic, but the scale is highly compressed there. In reality it’s a very slight flattening of the launch trajectory arc. It’s the coasting stage, IIRC.

think that’s the actual situation.

Whatever, watching the launch live was really gripping, I never saw the first moon launch, I was on holiday in South Devon with my parents in a touring caravan, the caravan site had a clubhouse with a telly, but I was still at school and too young to go into the bar to watch it. 😕

twonks

Must be rather intense looking at a launch and deployment of anything space related that you’ve worked on for years.

I’m fascinated by it all – not so much the engineering that goes into the kit as I have knowledge of some of it through work – but more the whole concept of space and time. To be able to see now what happened umpteen years ago is a weird thing to get your head around.

As our single life span as individuals is so short in relation to what is being studied, I wonder how many of the scientists get frustrated because they don’t live long enough to see the true fruits of their work.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t think they see it like that. – that are just doing their thing

johndoh
    Free Member

But so proud – Amy has overall responsibility for the actual mirror unfolding- the next big step for the project. Go Amy.

dannybgoode

Is there a reason it’s going so slowly (in spacecraft terms)? 1.2 mi/s is just over 4000mph. Seems quite pedestrian really – is it simply a case of to go faster would need a good deal more fuel and they’re in no particular rush given all the various deployment phases taking place over the coming days?

w00dster

@Danny – this is from the earlier linked web page….

Webb’s speed is at its peak while connected to the push of the launch vehicle. Its speed begins to slow rapidly after separation as it coasts up hill climbing the gravity ridge from Earth to its orbit around L2. Note on the timeline that Webb reaches the altitude of the moon in ~2.5 days (which is ~25% of its trip in terms of distance but only ~8% in time). See the sections below on Distance to L2 and Arrival at L2 for more information on the distance travelled to L2.

poah
    Free Member

is there a reason it’s going so slowly (in spacecraft terms)? 1.2 mi/s is just over 4000mph

quoting here.

This is by design, because if Webb gets too much thrust from the Ariane rocket, it can’t turn around to thrust back toward Earth because that would directly expose its telescope optics and structure to the Sun, overheating them and aborting the science mission before it can even begin. Therefore, Webb gets an intentional slight under-burn from the Ariane and uses its own small thrusters and on-board propellant to make up the difference.

thepurist

So it’s like crazy golf where the hole is at the top of a mound? If you smack the ball too hard it sails past the hole and down the other side, so you give it just enough of a tap that it slows all the way up the mound, barely reaches the top then plops into the hole. Except the ball is a $10bn spacecraft, the mound is gravity and the hole is the L2 point. Got it!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

The family watched this with great excitement. Having lived through the eighties triumphs and disasters in space flight, there are always a few nervous moments. Amazing achievement so far.

I still find it hard to fathom how such precision can be adhered to from strapping a highly sensitive and fragile piece of equipment to a massive explosion and pointing it upwards. That’s a lot of maths. Looking forward to the snaps.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Also, the reported speed JWST is moving is relative to Earth, and earth’s orbital velocity round the Sun is about 19mi/s. When JWST reaches it’s parking place it will be almost stationary relative to Earth but with slightly faster orbital velocity because the L2 point is in line with Earth and 1% further from the Sun.

slowoldman

First mid course correction burn completed successfully.

CountZero

Just found out that one of the significant instruments on board, MIRA (Mid InfraRed Instrument) was mostly developed and built in the U.K., Scotland specifically, and the team was led by a woman as well, Professor Gillian Wright MBE. It’s bits of the overall development that often get overlooked, so it’s great to see women in science and engineering getting recognised; too often in the past they’ve been deliberately sidelined in favour of men who contributed very little. Ava Lovelace and Hedy Lamarr spring to mind.
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/edinburgh-scientists-celebrate-launch-of-james-webb-space-telescope-which-they-helped-to-develop-3507538

leffeboy

Ava Lovelace

Spelling mistake? Didn’t she have a computer language named after her? But your point is understood

slowoldman

High Gain Antenna deployed. In a couple of days sunshield deployment begins (hopefully).

Northwind

CountZero

Just found out that one of the significant instruments on board, MIRA (Mid InfraRed Instrument) was mostly developed and built in the U.K., Scotland specifically, and the team was led by a woman as well, Professor Gillian Wright MBE.

So this is random but she contributed a load of work to an STEM outreach thing I helped with a few years back, she is a very cool lady. I had no idea she was involved in the JWST though, it was never mentioned! I guess they thought Herschel was more interesting to kids since it, you know, had actually made it into space at that point and could produce cool posters.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

First images through now

Webb

scuttler

👏

Daffy

That was the view from inside the engine of the F35 that didn’t quite fly off the HMS Queen Elizabeth.

johndoh
    Free Member

By all accounts everything is going as well as could be hoped for. Sis-in-law looks absolutely exhausted though – she’s just grabbing a few hours sleep in between checking in with her team (as she has overall responsibility for the next two weeks and the unfolding of the mirror array).

slowoldman

Second mid-course burn successful earlier today and I just read the sunshield deployment has started – forward sunshield pallet deployed. I don’t suppose @johndoh’s SiL will be sleeping much for a few days.

scuttler

Big up Amylo-silof-johndoh!

Wonder if the Ariane flight director’s hangover has gone yet.

CountZero

Spelling mistake? Didn’t she have a computer language named after her?

No, she was a mathematician and basically wrote the program for the machine to run after she realised it could be much more than a whizzy adding machine. She was Lord Byron’s daughter, and died very young, at 32.

And yes, it was a spelling error it should have been Ada. Sorry ’bout that! ☺️

<b>Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace</b> (<i>née</i> <b>Byron</b>; 10 December 1815 – 27 November 1852) was an English mathematician and writer, chiefly known for her work on Charles Babbage‘s proposed mechanical general-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine. She was the first to recognise that the machine had applications beyond pure calculation, and to have published the first algorithm intended to be carried out by such a machine. As a result, she is often regarded as the first computer programmer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace</span&gt;

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 369 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.