Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 369 total)
  • The James Webb space telescope
  • scuttler

Less fuel than my van!!

60 gallons of not diesel (hydrazine and oxidiser).

More here https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/11/28/nasa-gives-green-light-to-fuel-james-webb-space-telescope/

“When you work on a $10 billion telescope, conservatism is the order of the day,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, head of NASA’s science mission directorate.

GULP

slowoldman

Delayed again. Now set for Christmas Day 12:20 UK time. Great timing between breakfast and dinner.

daviek

I’ll likely be starting to cook about then :/

eulach

over $10Bn..

with only 344 potential single-point failures, any of which could doom the project…

80% of these are to do with the deployment phase…

Being deployed to an L2 orbit beyond the Moon so out of range of any human or indeed robot servicing mission (unless there is a very daring deep space mission done later this decade)

er…

CountZero

For the $10bn cost that does seem a bit of a short life…

AFAIK, no space mission that involves research, as in satellites and/or telescopes have been intended to last more than a few years. Hubble has lasted much longer than was expected, and as for the Voyager missions, they’re still sending back data nearly half a century after being launched, and they’re both now in true interstellar space! There are scientists involved with Voyager who’ve spent their entire working lives on that one project, which in itself is astonishing.

Even the little Mars helicopter was only intended to last for five missions,  it’s up to thirty, if memory serves, and the damn thing keeps on going!

PS – love the cartoon! ^^ 🤣

sofaman

Updated cooking plan:

12:10 Another snifter
    12:15 Heat goose fat
    12:20 JWST
    12:30 Cook roast pots
    12:31 Utilise fire blanket

johndoh
    Free Member

We’ve got a lunchtime Teams call planned (brother in law in Oz and the other in LA). LA brother in law’s wife (who will be at mission control as mentioned earlier) still says she’ll try to join the call if she can 😹 Apparently she was on 60 Minutes on CBS talking about it recently (and has done a TED talk too).

I so hope this thing works!

seosamh77
    Free Member

sofaman
    Updated cooking plan:

12:10 Another snifter
    12:15 Heat goose fat
    12:20 JWST
    12:30 Cook roast pots
    12:31 Utilise fire blanket

😆

johndoh
    Free Member

@scuttler – I can’t get that link to play but it’s Amy Lo (Warwick) depending on what name she uses professionally. She’s Chinese American.

I need to find a stream that works.

scuttler

Yeah Amy Lo (rhymes with John Doh) on at the start in the N-G clean room (all gowned up) then interviewed face to face. She gets loads of air time!

slowoldman

That was a nice little programme.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh cool. I’ll have to find it on YouTube.

👍

scuttler

Search elves have brought you this https://youtu.be/sMxdeUJ0v2c

poah
    Free Member

Been talking about the JWST in the classroom. The information we will get from the JWST will be huge. Being able to record in IR means we can see through clouds of dust. The Spitzer Space Telescope was launched in 2003 and produced some wonderful data. the JWST main mirror is almost 7x larger.

Pillars of creation in the eagle nebula (star forming) – visible vs IR

matt_outandabout

I know it’s a long wait for first images, but I’m really looking forward to them…

dannybgoode

So long as Perkin-Elmer have had nothing to do with the mirror all should be well 🙂

Really hoping everything goes to plan and it sends back the data everyone is hoping for…

poah
    Free Member

So long as Perkin-Elmer have had nothing to do with the mirror all should be well

lol

slowoldman

I just came across this which is a nice overview of the mission.

Webb Media Kit

CountZero

I so hope this thing works!

Somehow, I don’t think you’re alone in that!

Poopscoop

Sorry if I’ve missed, where can I stream this tomorrow guys?

Cheers!

scuttler

See the link to NASA Live at https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/countdown.html

Should take you to a YouTube link at https://youtu.be/21X5lGlDOfg

eulach

I really, really hope it works.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just had a quick FaceTime with them and she said ‘I’ve just got a couple of hours of fettling to do, then I’m done’. Nice to hear that her Yorkshire-bred hubby has taught her something 😹

Poopscoop

scuttler
    See the link to NASA Live at https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/countdown.html

Should take you to a YouTube link at https://youtu.be/21X5lGlDOfg

Cheers bud.

johndoh
    Free Member
    Just had a quick FaceTime with them and she said ‘I’ve just got a couple of hours of fettling to do, then I’m done’. Nice to hear that her Yorkshire-bred hubby has taught her something 😹

Yeah, it’s a bugger when your bike throws a chain on its maiden ride, this is another level of fettling.

scuttler

As a Yorkshireman, love the ‘fettling’ anecdote. Nice shed they have at Northrop Grumman.

seosamh77
    Free Member

retrorick

I’m looking forward to a successful launch. 👍

johndoh
    Free Member

Tomorrow is…

Present opening (kids)
    Present opening (parents)
    Quick shower
    Coffee
    Put the turkey on
    Have some alcohol
    Watch the launch

The best bloody Christmas for a long time.

thols2

I’m looking forward to a successful launch. 👍

Me too, but I also have a sneaky wish to see the reaction shots if the whole thing explodes on the launchpad.

scuttler

Not sure Roman was particularly invested in that launch.

mikeyp

Amused to think how many Americans believe the universe is 20000 years old rather than 14 billion

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

seosamh77
    Free Member

And we’re live! 🙂

slowoldman

Yep, settling down in front of it.

CountZero

11.12 and counting!

Klunk
    Free Member

santa hats in mission control, hardly very professional ! 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

T-4

Klunk
    Free Member

is there a backup ready to launch from some remote japanese/chinese island ? anyone seen Jake Busey ?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Squeeky bum time! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 369 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.