• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by beej.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The Italian Housing Market
  • Klunk
    Free Member

Wtf is going on… was on rightmove and thought I’d look at Tuscan Villas for sale (as you do 🙂 )….

100 pages 10 villas per page (@ a conservative €3m per villa average the last entry = €1,950,000) is €3,000,000,000 of housing on the market and that’s just the luxury end and just Tuscany !

this is the grand designs castle from yonks ago and its been on the market even since the episode aired and IIRC it used to crop up on around page 8 now it’s on page 100 🙂

there another 750 1-2m range

Edukator
    Free Member

You pay that kind of money for a nice house near St jean de Luz.

This isn’t near the sea and doesn’t even have a sea view

jambalaya
    Free Member

What is surprising you the number for sale or the (optimistic) prices ? The two are related of course, plenty of prople who bought and renovated (expensively) and would now rather sell. With £ down vs € many Brits bave big profits and want to cash in. Russians aren’t buying as they did, less Brits with significant spare cash so lots for sale and market is sticky …..

As per Edukator similar story elsewhere, eg Verbier

bikebouy
    Free Member

You can still buy a 2 bed Appt in FloJo for €200k 😉

hammyuk
    Free Member

You can buy a fully fitted, 2 bed detached house, with orchard, olive grove, woodland, 5 acres of land, etc for €80k in Umbria.

scud
    Free Member
    geologist
    Free Member

hammyuk, do you have a link to this ?
    Not trying to test, but very interested 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s a bit more niche than “Italian House Market” and expensive places are always a slow-sell, but if there is 1000 houses of a type for sale, and they’re not selling, the market is over-priced.

They’re a few determinded sellers away from a crash.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

That grand designs castle is absolutely stunning. Is the price too much? I suppose if you compared it to London property in the same price range it looks great value.

hammyuk
    Free Member

geologist – fraid not.
    I bought it 😛

Plenty more in that area for similar money though – look around Gualdo Tadino for ideas of whats about.
    Rightmove Abroad

footflaps

geologist – fraid not.
    I bought it

Photos please 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

Congrats hammy sounds fab

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers , not jealous at all

hammyuk
    Free Member

Theres at least two others on the same Localita in Grello for similar money.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I bought it

Forza 🙂

Yes photos please …

Lots of great value houses on the “unfashionable” parts of the Adriatic Coast. An Italian colleague was forever showing us gems. Similar in Galicia in Spain.

tonyja
    Free Member

Apartments in liveable cities like Florence and Bologna seem incredibly cheap at the moment. Mainly because your average Italian hasn’t got a lot of spare cash right now.

badnewz
    Free Member

My favourite country. With the rise of remote working, my long-term plan is to have a UK job but live out in Italy, just a pleasant one or two bedroom flat in Bologna, Lucca, or Verona.
    That castle is wonderful. One can dream!

tonyja
    Free Member

As lovely as Lucca is I think I’d go stir crazy there, its not the biggest place, although it is that much closer to the sea than Florence.
    Did you suss out MTB routes when you were there? So much of the land looked to not have access rights I couldnt quite work out their right of way system and stuck to the road.

badnewz
    Free Member

Lots of private land, I’ve never been mtbing in Italy, but it’s on the list.
    My ex was Italian and I spent a lot of time in the north years ago. All the cliches are true – the people are temperamental but very loyal. Spending time there can lift the soul as you are surrounded by beauty and I really like the everyday civility.
    But as a country it has some serious problems, ageing demographic, poorly paid jobs, cost of living is quite high. My parents visited there a lot in the 60s and 70s and said you always associated Italy with little children everywhere, but not anymore – Italians are dying out and not reproducing.
    That’s why I would only live there if on a UK salary and pension and able to work remotely.
    On second thoughts, I think it would be 1) Verona 2) Bolonga and 3) Lucca. I love the centre of Mantua but the outskirts are too industrial. Florence I’ve never got on with, just too much tourism and I find the locals quite rude.

beej

I was looking at Lucca area a couple of years ago. Stuff that was for sale then is still for sale.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The Italian Housing Market’ is closed to new replies.