Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The IT Cloud
  • number18
    Free Member

I recently bought a new laptop from Currys (Lenovo). I bought Office 365 Home for it (for up to 6 people) on an annual renewable subscription. Currys also flogged me their ‘livedrive’ powered ‘Cloud Backup’ which is 2TB for 5 years for a fixed fee.

On closer inspection while setting up the laptop and Office I’ve realised that Office 365 Home comes with 1TB OneDrive cloud storage per person. SO I’m wondering if I actually need the additional livedrive cloud storage.

What do I actually need?
    I need cloud storage for accessing Office files such as Excel and photos not only while using the Lenovo laptop but also from an iPad (iPad to be bought at a later date). The iPad will be my partner’s so we will have two users with one device each. The two users need to be able to access each others’ files saved in their respective cloud, or possible one shared cloud space if possible.

Is this possible on one of the cloud options but not the other? If Livedrive is the only option then I need to keep it. if OneDrive allows this then I can return livedrive and get a refund.

If neither, I guess my only option is to register the iPad in my name and then technically they’re both my devices using the same one person’s cloud space, which would be OneDrive and I’d return and get a refund on livedrive.

Hope this is clear… thanks in advance!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It would be worth looking at other options as well, namely Google Drive and Dropbox.

Both of their free options give plenty of space and the ability to create shared folders.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Not a Japanese remake? Is sad… ☹️

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    torsoinalake
    Free Member

I actually need the additional livedrive cloud storage

You don’t. You’ve got OneDrive. You’ll have iCloud with the Apple devices.

If you have Amazon Prime that also gives you free storage.

number18
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

@eddiebaby
    , I’m afraid not, sorry!

@GlennQuagmire
    , Thanks, I’ll have a look at those. As I’ve already got OneDrive with the Office Home package, do you know if that allows multiple users to access the same files?

@torsoinalake
    , Your quote makes it look I said I need it, I was asking if I need it. I don’t have Amazon Prime. I’m guessing I won’t be able to access iCloud from the Lenovo though, the objective here is to access the same files using the Lenovo laptop as the iPad. Does OneDrive allow multiple users to access the same files from their device?

hot_fiat

You can share a OneDrive location/folders with everyone in your family. The onedrive app on iPhone is awesome. I recently binned my Dropbox pro account and now just use onedrive. The auto tagging thing for photos is pure witchcraft.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not a Japanese remake? Is sad… ☹️

I was hoping for that as well 🙁

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

@number18 I don’t use OneDrive (well, not for a long time) but yes, it is possible to create shared folders.

leffeboy

OneDrive works really well these days with its offline option.  I would want a really good reason to look elsewhere

number18
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks. I can go and get a refund on this livedrive then!

Cheers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The IT Cloud’ is closed to new replies.