• This topic has 26 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The ipad app
  • franksinatra

I know this has been done to death but…..

I am a subscriber. The new magazine comes out, I open the app a see the new mag. I click on the price, it then says Processing Purchase Request, then nothing. It stalls on this screen for ages, currently like that since yesterday. This was she same last month.

I assume this is not how it is meant to work?

franksinatra

Anyone?

althepal

I dont even bother with the bloody thing, bag of shite.

franksinatra

I’ve gone digital only 🙁

beaker

I download the PDF version and get it onto my Ipad via itunes. I have managed to get the app to work once and didn’t like the format.

allthegear
    Free Member

I open the PDF on my iPad and the a button appears saying “open in iBooks”. Click this and it adds it to your iBooks library.

Much better UX than the app

Rachel

nealglover
    Free Member

What is “UX” ?

allthegear
    Free Member

Sorry – UX = User Experience. Been reading too many web dev things recently, clearly!!!

Rachel

franksinatra

It is a bit rubbish, it didn’t bother me too much when I had a print subscription but now I am digital only I should be able to get what I pay for.

It is still trying to process the purchase, more than 24hrs after clicking,

Also makes me wonder if stw are missing out on sales from non subscribers who may which to pay for downloads and just give up.

woody21
    Free Member

I’ve just signed up as a subscriber and cannot open the PDF version on my iPad and the version on the app wants £3.99 from me – so I’m a little confused

franksinatra

I think the theory is that when the mag is published, STW let pocket mags know who the subscribers are and they in turn apply a £3.99 credit to your account, allowing you to buy the mag. Not sure if this credit is meant to show up or not, mine too just says £3.99.

PDF works fine on my ipad, but I like the app UX (when it works)

woody21
    Free Member

Thanks – only signed as a subscriber last week

parkesie
    Free Member

App only ever worked for the free sample for me. Just use the PDFs and open in kindle now.

Cougar

I’ve flagged it up – might be worth emailing moderator@ directly though.

franksinatra

Still not working this month. Issue 82 only available to me on PDF.
    App has been processing purchase request all day

Getting a little boring now.

Cougar

I’ll ping it again. Might be a delay though, I think most of the staff are at MM.

franksinatra

Thanks

In the meantime does anybody know how I get it to save on iBooks? I have it on my reading list on safari but it takes ages to open as loads the full PDF.

woody21
    Free Member

Eventually I got the app to work – but it was a struggle, with lots of emails to Pocket Mags and Singletrack

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ve not been able to get it to work adequately either. It all seems a bit halfway house to me. IMB online mag is the way for magazine digital media IMO.

GrahamS

In contrast the Newstand STW app works really well for me on the iPad. Notifies me when a new issue is available and I can just open it and hit download. Job done. Very happy.

Agree about the layout comments though. See “Cyclist” mag for how e-mags should be laid out. (Flick left-right through story leads. Down for story body. Flick pics for more. Full 360 views of bikes and inline videos)

In the meantime does anybody know how I get it to save on iBooks?

Once you’ve selected “Open in iBooks..” It should be saved in the iBooks library. When you open iBooks again you might need to hit the “Collections” button and select “PDFs”.

franksinatra

Still not working.

franksinatra

PDF’s all well and good but you miss out on the extra photos and fancy stuff that should come with app.

GrahamS

frank: did you at least get PDFs to open/save in iBooks as I described?

franksinatra

Yep, PDF working fine. App shows Processing Request, never moves on from that.

franksinatra

Well things have finally moved on. The £3.99 button has now evolved into a Download button, only it doesn’t work. Still not able to download as clicking the button does nothing. 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sound like I’m not missing much, it is useful to download the PDF as I’m often not around to pick up the print mag and it works well as computer is linked to main TV which is a great way to read it, look at photos and videos but I’ve never bothered with the app

grum
    Free Member

I’ve given up. Applied for the Pocket Mags account – never heard anything. Emailed STW about it – never heard anything.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘The ipad app’ is closed to new replies.