Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The internet browser for stupid people.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

If I upgrade/change from what I’ve heard being called the browser for stupid people (Internet Explorer, so sue me, I like familiarity and I’m familiar with it…) will all my favourites be lost? I don’t know about this stuff, because I am an internet stupid person.
    Thanks IT whizzes.

zilog6128

no, any other browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc) will be able to import the bookmarks from IE

spooky_b329

Normally when you first install/run Firefox or Chrome, it will ask if you want to import your favourites etc.

However, on Chrome, the autocomplete is so easy to use, I have no favourites set. As soon as I type ‘s’ it knows I’m probably going to singletrack, so its just ‘s’ + ‘enter’ and I’m on my way here 🙂 ‘bb’ + ‘enter’ and I’m on my way to bbc.co.uk/weather. I don’t have a toolbar set up, I just have back and forth buttons, stop/refresh, and the address bar.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks. Which other one would be betterererererer?

zippykona

jojoA1
    Free Member

Oh god they’re all going to think for me, aren’t they? I hate it when they do that.

druidh
    Free Member

You can disable Autocomplete. But don’t.

zilog6128

Chrome is my fave right now, for the reason mentioned above and cos it syncs great with my iPad/iPhone

spooky_b329

Chrome is my favourite.

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk[/video] 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Another Chrome vote.

I use the STW Extender tools too.

RealMan
    Free Member

Firefox or chrome. Get either. Get both. Flip a coin.

(I’d go for firefox personally though).

samuri
    Free Member

chrome is the most secure browser

bwaarp
    Free Member

chrome is the most secure browser

Except when Google invariably morphs into a sentient skynet.

Northwind

Firefox is good, and I reckon quicker to pick up after Explorer. Chrome did too many things that just seemed different for its own sake, annoyed me so I binned it.

alexpalacefan

Chrome. It will easily import your favourites. My Mum managed it 😉

APF

leffeboy

Strangely enough I’m a long time Chrome user but I’m starting to really like the latest version of Inteernet Explorer. I would upgrade IE AND install Chrome

samuri
    Free Member

Except when Google invariably morphs into a sentient skynet.

There is that but vulnerability-wise, chrome leads the others by a mile.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Currently liking Comodo which is also built on the Chomium engine. Also, try Cuil instead of Google when you fancy a change.

sparksmcguff

Opera rocks!

Chrome secure? No more than firefox, opera or (shhhh, I barely dare breath this) IE. Sorry guys but if you have Flash/Java/Javascript on the lose then all you bases are mine meh haha.

kiwijohn

Safari on my mac & PC, with a use few useful extensions.
    Hover zoom
    Click to flash
    & shhh, adbl…

Cougar

No reason you can’t install multiple browsers. Try FF and Chrome, see which you click with.

cp

Do any websites actually use Java any more? I reinstalled windows recently and gave been very careful with what goes back on. Java is one of the things that hasn’t made it back on and I’ve not come across anything that needs it in a month.

Anyway, after re-install, I initially just used IE9. I had been using Chrome but was having crashing issues. IE just started to annoy me and randomly crash pages.

I uninstalled Flash, installed Chrome (Chrome comes with flash built in and if you have a separate install of flash you can sometimes suffer some sort of conflict, which I think I was getting).

Anyway, Chrome is brilliant, just so user friendly.

scuzz
    Free Member

Chrome is ‘made by’ a large corporation which makes money through ad revenue, that used to sort of have a motto ‘Don’t be evil’, but they don’t say anything about that anymore.

Firefox is ‘made by’ The Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit organization that promotes openness, innovation and participation on the Internet.

😀

kimbers

scuzz – Member
    Chrome is ‘made by’ a large corporation which makes money through ad revenue, that used to sort of have a motto ‘Don’t be evil’, but they don’t say anything about that anymore.

Firefox is ‘made by’ The Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit organization that promotes openness, innovation and participation on the Internet.

i agree 100% however chromes autofill is ace and im lazy

cp

And chrome is the better product IMO 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t use IE as I’m on a Mac but the last versions I used were fine. It’s a strange form of snobbery from people to say IE is for morons. Considering for years Firefox had the most horrendous memory leak that rendered it unusable unless you restarted it several times a day, that Safari is generally awful and Chrome (like all Google products) randomly breaks in really odd ways, I think most browsers have flaws.

tomaso
    Free Member

Comodo is good in that it is made by an internet security company and is aimed at anyone who likes Chrome but dislikes quite how much data Google collects about you and then makes stacks of cash from you.

And why do I keep geeting adverts on the side bar for arab dating sites? :mrgreen:

butcher

And chrome is the better product IMO

Yep. Firefox just got to big and bloated. Tried to do too much. And consequently started crashing all the time – for me anyway.

The beauty of Chrome is in its simplicity and ease of use.

To be honest, unless you have some very specific needs or preferences, there’s not much in it these days. IE is just as good as Firefox, in my opinion. I just find Chrome a bit sleeker and faster.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Chrome allows you to sync your favourites to your gmail account and so you can have the same favourites list on every computer you use.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Chrome is my favourites as no matter what computer I use, once I log in, all my favourites, apps and quick links are accessible.

DezB
    Free Member

I ditched Firefox because it kept prompted to be upgraded every 5 minutes.
    Chrome just does it silently without any fuss.
    Only problem with Chrome, is that some sites aren’t compatible (some banking sites, some work sites), so I have IE8 too. (I’m sure IE9 is better what with all the ideas they’ve nicked from Chrome)

Oh, just thought of another bonus with Chrome (if you have a Google account): I recently replaced a laptop, installed Chrome and EVERYTHING was there on the new machine, bookmarks, bookmark bar, settings AND all the saved passwords. That is blimmin helpful.

zilog6128

Making money (from ads) is “evil” now?

sbob
    Free Member

I use firefox because (for me) it is the fastest.
    Running a PC that is getting on for a decade old the speed of simple operations is quite noticeable.

sbob
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member

Making money (from ads) is “evil” now?

Now?
    Advertising and marketing have always been the work of Satan.

MrGreedy

They’re all pretty good, even the latest IE. I use IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera pretty much daily, and Opera’s my favourite. Try a few alternatives and see how you get on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Firefox really does seem to be a lot slower than Chrome when faced with a page with a lot of Javascript on it.

Advertising and marketing have always been the work of Satan

Posted on a free forum, paid for with.. oops!

Advertising allows so much stuff on the internet to be free. If there was no advertising, it’d cost hundreds a year to do all the crap you want to do – everything would be subscription based. So you’d only do a few things online, if any. Almost all the fun stuff would not exist. It’d be a way of sharing documents or an online banking facility.

So think about that next time you moan about adverts on a free online community.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘The internet browser for stupid people.’ is closed to new replies.