Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • The Inexorable Decline of Society.
  • tuboflard

I’ll just leave this here. I genuinely fear for the future of mankind when someone decides to pack a can of paint for a walk in the Lakes.

funkmasterp

On the scale of bad shit happening in the world right now that doesn’t even register tbh. Someone tagged a rock. Considering there’s a war, cost of living crisis and climate crisis going on then I can’t muster much in the way of outrage or dismay at this. It’s not socially acceptable. I think that is one of the reasons for graffiti and tagging isn’t it?

Sorry to sound flippant and it is a socially unacceptable thing to do. Doesn’t make me lose faith in society or mankind though. That ship sailed a very long time ago.

footflaps

Selfish people doing selfish things. Been happening for 1000s of years and will continue to happen for 1000s of years…

tuboflard

Maybe I should have qualified my statement.

It’s not the only thing that worries me. But it’s yet another example of things going to shit, people not giving a **** about anything but themselves and generally being selfish.

Agree, there’s much worse happening in the world just now, not ignoring them, just feeling somewhat depressed about society as a whole. That’s all.

binners

What concerns me most is what a poor effort it is. If you’re going to carry some spray cans for miles to tag a rock then we could at least expect a bit of wild style, or something. Even the colour choice is wrong. There’s no contrast

Very poor.

Like the funkster, I’m finding it difficult to get too worked up about it, knowing that within a month or two we’ll have this to look forward too, so graffiti on rocks will be kind of academic…

jamiemcf

Socially unacceptable (edit) and disappointing, but folk have been carving their names into trees for years.

It is crap tagging with little in the way of skill.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Got to admit that im also underehelmed by the sheer evilness of this act.

tuboflard

Maybe the nuclear wind from Armageddon will clean it off? Every cloud I guess.

binners

Maybe, in thousands of years, when an alien species lands on earth, this will be the only remaining sign of our civilisation

They’ll be massively disappointed by the lack of creativity, obviously

jamj1974

I don’t approve of it personally, but on the scale of vandalism – it is my microscopic.

We have huge corporations breaking the law or obeying the law whilst actively destroying the environment, making profits from morality-free arms sales and pursuing regime change to increase profit.

It just highlights yet again how the agendas of the rich and powerful are legalised and promoted by society and the media. Illegal activities by normal people, when they are most often low-scale and with limited impacts. This graffiti will cause more public outrage and attract greater penalties.

dannybgoode

Were cave paintings acceptable at the time or is it only now we find them fascinating?

Seen Victorian era names chiselled into stone so they permanently damaged the rocks yet we find them quaint and interesting.

This? Meh

Cougar

Why are you complaining about being burgled when murder exists? Get some perspective.

onewheelgood

Selfish people doing selfish things. Been happening for 1000s of years and will continue to happen for 1000s of years…

I think it’s very unlikely that the human race will be around for 1000s of years. 500 years tops, and the last 300 of that will be a dwindling band of survivors fighting over what little inhabitable land is left.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I feel the same as the OP.
    Yeah fine, there’s some serious shit going on in the world & the two aren’t remotely comparable but like the OP said, who packs a rattle can for a walk in a National Park unless they’re gonna use it?
    Banksy?

jamj1974

Why are you complaining about being burgled when murder exists? Get some perspective.

Probably one of the most ridiculous and tone deaf comparisons ever. No one has been hurt or had their safety compromised. I seriously think you need to get some perspective.

montgomery
    Free Member

I abandoned the likes of Striding Edge and Crib Goch to the convoys of w&nk£rs years ago. If it’d been the Forcan Ridge I might’ve tutted a bit.

jamj1974

I feel the same as the OP.
    Yeah fine, there’s some serious shit going on in the world & the two aren’t remotely comparable but like the OP said, who packs a rattle can for a walk in a National Park unless they’re gonna use it?
    Banksy?

I do understand how you feel, I love creative street art, can support graffiti as a channel for protest, but this is a bit of a hit thing to do somewhere beautiful like this.

tuboflard

I guess I have difficulty with perspective then, I’m just feeling a bit despairing of things and seeing this just exacerbated my sense of gloom. Don’t think I’m complaining about being burgled either @binners relative to murderers wandering the streets, just sharing my frustrations that’s all.

zilog6128

Interesting. Who made @LakesWeather the arbiter or how we can and can’t enjoy the great outdoors? No permanent harm done. Actually made me chuckle a bit. Maybe if it wasn’t a one-off I’d upgrade my feelings from “meh”. At least whoever did it got a bit of fresh air and exercise. 😀

If you’re going to carry some spray cans for miles to tag a rock then we could at least expect a bit of wild style, or something

yeah, this is the worst thing. Bit dull innit?

jamj1974

I guess I have difficulty with perspective then,

I’m not saying you are wrong, just that this will be seen by many as worse than corporate environmental vandalism. I’m sure you’re not keen on that either.

It’s a shit thing for someone to do, I agree. I just can’t get too annoyed by it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Probably had a dog with them too

Spin
    Free Member

It used to be a thing to carve your name into rocks at popular tourist spots.

This graffiti (graffito?) doesn’t represent a decline in society it represent an ongoing and probably intrinsic feature of human society.

tuboflard

I’m generally of the view of leave no trace where ever possible so I get equally depressed seeing crap strewn around the countryside and will do what I can to pick stuff up. And you’re right I’m not particularly keen on corporate environmental vandalism either.

As I said I’m normally quite a positive minded individual but just feeling off with things in general and this got to me.

funkmasterp

If you’re going to do bad graffiti then I’m 99% sure the big graffiti guidebook says draw a penis. Yeah, it’s crap but nobody got hurt unless that rock is actually one of those things from The Never Ending Story. Feelings may be hurt if that is the case.

The comments on the Twitter thread cheered me up a bit though. I’ve not used Twitter but seems a bit Daily Mail

@tuboflard
    I can definitely empathise with what you are saying. In the current climate it doesn’t take much to upset people. The straw that broke the camels back and all that. Try not to let it bother you and see if you can find some humour in it

tuboflard

I’d have actually preferred a giant cock and jizz or tits to be honest.

Kryton57

I don’t like it, but for me posting this was worse:

we’ll have this to look forward too

Now all I want to do it work out why that might happen and why someone would say something like that, while I spend the next month or two on an anxiety trip about it.

sirromj

Yeah the green bits are terrible 😉

fooman

Up on the Cow and Calf rocks above Ilkley there’s graffiti going back at least 100 years, the difference is it is beautifully chiseled into the rock – yes they chiseled a date too. A little longer lasting than a spray can.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you think everything was better in the good old days then you don’t have perspective.

ravingdave

Cam her thinking this would be a discussion about all the terrible things happening in the world and how we can stop it.then I saw it was about how a person put some paint on a rock 🙄

funkmasterp

Probably had a dog with them too

Or a dog and a child, the bastards.

bearnecessities

I’d have actually preferred a giant cock and jizz or tits to be honest.

Wouldn’t we all.

CountZero

Were cave paintings acceptable at the time or is it only now we find them fascinating?

Well, they were living in the caves, so indulging in some home decorating is perfectly acceptable.

Also, the pigments used were all naturally occurring or produced by the combustion of natural materials, so perfectly acceptable environmentally, they’re not using by-products of the modern petrochemical industry.

Plus, that’s a really shitty bit of tagging – if the muppet who did it is showing the best they can do, they really aught to give it up ‘cos I’d be ashamed of doing something as crap as that. 😣

Cougar

Probably one of the most ridiculous and tone deaf comparisons ever. No one has been hurt or had their safety compromised. I seriously think you need to get some perspective.

“No one has been hurt or had their safety compromised” when they’re burgled. But eh, alright, let me try again:

“Why are you complaining about vandalism when war exists? Get some perspective.” Oh hey, you’re right! That’s totally different, what was I thinking?! Crimes are clearly totally fine so long as no-one gets hurt and worse crimes exist.

Come on guys, for ****’s sake really? Antisocial shitbags being antisocial shitbags and you’re all jumping up to defend them. PM me your address and I’ll come rattlecan a cock & balls across the front of your house, see if you feel the same way then.

argee

This is some next level daily mail stuff here, i opened this up expecting to see some horrific event in Ukraine, or to read about how the Priti Patel has gone up a notch in her quest to become the embodiment of evil with the latest immigration laws she’s planning, but it’s a bit of paint on a rock, not exactly the rush to pushing the nuclear button

MoreCashThanDash

Been going on since the Romans carved their names on walls and stuff. It’s wrong, but not the end of the world.

slowoldman

Well I’m with tuboflard, it’s a bloody disgrace. But then I’m one of those weirdos who thinks discarded banana skins and orange peel are litter.

jamj1974

Come on guys, for ****’s sake really? Antisocial shitbags being antisocial shitbags and you’re all jumping up to defend them. PM me your address and I’ll come rattlecan a cock & balls across the front of your house, see if you feel the same way then

No one is saying that antisocial behaviour is defensible, just trying to put some sense of scale and suggesting precedent.

Despite the location of the graffiti not being on anyones home, I’ve dropped a message to you with my home address. You should be able to confirm with STW Towers that is indeed my address. I’ll happily provide you permission to access my name and address details for this purpose. I’ll also not pursue you for costs related to the removal of paint.

jamj1974

Well I’m with tuboflard, it’s a bloody disgrace. But then I’m one of those weirdos who thinks discarded banana skins and orange peel are litter.

Me too. Hate littering.

Cougar

PM me your address and I’ll come rattlecan a cock & balls across the front of your house, see if you feel the same way then.

Bloody hell, someone just did. 🤣 Well played.

I’m sorely tempted to call your bluff.

EDIT: sorry, didn’t see your post here before I replied!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.