Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 183 total)
  • the idiotic cyclist thread
  • yunki
    Free Member

As mentioned recently I am extremely prejudiced against other cyclists, and with good reason..
    We’re doing very well as a minority group, with plenty of supporters, but we still have to field a certain amount of flack..
    There’s enough negativity from some quarters, without our own ranks adding fuel to the fire..

So here’s a little thread where you can post about your most recent numpty cyclist encounter.. If you’ve noticed someone out there who is making us look bad, get it off your chest here, hopefully we can compile a list of unacceptable behaviours, and maybe publicly humiliate a few offenders..

Ill get the ball rolling..

Yesterday, my other half was out for a skate with her roller derby team on busy shared use path when an angry mamil came thundering down upon the group.. Courteously, they gave way and moved aside, only for the lead skater to be called a ****.. Further along the path, two skaters who were not quick enough were clipped by the cyclist causing both to fall..

utterly cowardly and unprovoked.. Nice one angry mamil, whoever you are.

What a cissy

ton

2 complete k nobbers, 1 in sky kit, 1 in all white lycra, ride past me every morning, and ride through 4 sets of red lights near tetleys in leeds.
    I am praying for them to get clipped one morning, just so I can ride up and laugh at them

Edric64
    Free Member

Cyclists who dress all in black ,even in daylight they dont stand out against the background

oldnpastit

…and what’s worse is that these cyclists don’t even pay road tax!

IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!

…wait, is this the right forum?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I saw two casual cyclists riding side by side here in That London, down a busy street with not one ace in the world.. 🙄

andyl
    Free Member

Roadies* who think they have a right to blast down the main road through the ashton Court estate in Bristol. Always a small minority who ruin it for the everyone else who rides with consideration and they are to blame for the speed reduction measures that will be getting installed soon.

It says “cyclists slow, shared path” for a reason you dicks.

*might also be MTBers and hybriders but so far I have only experience of roadies as everyone else has slowed down and taken care.

crikey
    Free Member

I rode to the stone yard today with no helmet on and my right pant leg rolled up, on a road bike, and wore a black jacket and black jeans while doing so.

Sorry.

matt_outandabout

The kids on the street that have no brakes on bikes, bar foot/floor.
    And proceed to launch themselves down 50m high / 1 in 6 hill with corners and multiple junctions. Easily one of them on a BMX was doing 30+mph tonight… 😯 😀 8) 😯

Meanwhile, the elephant is still in the room.
    6400 motorists caught speeding in four months by one camera.

ton

mtg……don’t spoil it, the title gives the idea of the post away.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yes, some cyclists are dicks.
    But it’s much better they’re on a bike, instead of inside a two ton car about to run you over.

brakes
    Free Member

my other half was out for a skate with her roller derby team

sorry, she was out for a what with her what???
    according to the internet, roller derby is a contact sport – should they not view this as WTFU training?

warton
    Free Member

I don’t normally do this, but [deep breath]

pulled up at a junction, 2 lanes, 1 for left turners, one for right, cycle box in front of the lanes.

I’m turning right, so get in the right hand side of the box, guy next to me is in the left side of the box.

left filter light turns green. he does nowt, stays there. car behind him beeps him. guy on bike goes apeshit, says I’m turning **** right, wait your turn etc etc.

so, main light turns green, we both cycle away, both turning right, him crossing a lane with cars turning left, quite dangerous, so I wait for him a bit, and say mate, sorry but you were in the wrong there, and it’s quite dangerous what you’re doing.

“Don’t you **** tell me how to ride a bike, you’re worse than the **** car drivers”

😯

legend
    Free Member

Warton = splitter

😉

IanW
    Free Member

Young man riding a bso who drifted through the junction, chatting on his blackberry, sorting out his next drug deal or telling his mum he was going to be late depending on which paper you read.

Either way he way riding with a disregard for rules that was so complete I kind of envied his nonchalance.

It also caused the young lady waiting next to me in the asz to comment which started a conversation that lasted the next 5 miles. Not often I get that much young lady time, so thank you young punk.

Whilst the old man in me would like to reprimand you, the memory of a younger guy says get away with what you can and the Sid James says thank you very much.

warton
    Free Member

Warton = splitter

?

seavers
    Free Member

Is this one of those period dramas I hear about?

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Me, this morning.

On my commute, down the TPT, hadn’t seen another soul for the last mile, so took a chance and went a bit too fast around a blind corner which was heavily overgrown. Another unfortunate mountain biker was coming the other way.
    Me “Aaaaarggggghhhhh. Sooooorrrrryyyyy”, as I skidded about 6 metres and careered out of his way and ditched into a blackberry bush.
    He was pretty cool about it, chuckling a “no problem” as he swerved past.

My God, those thorns hurt!

coatesy
    Free Member

How about no lights at dusk, approaching a blind crest on the wrong side of the road, whilst on a mobile phone and watching his mate on the other side of the road?

meehaja
    Free Member

queuing traffic, van turns left from queue into business. rider coming down inside, 30mph+. no evidence of slowing down, plows into van. Why so fast? Why undertaking? Why no braking?

onewheelgood

explaining for Warton
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE[/video]

timidwheeler

I rode to the stone yard today with no helmet on and my right pant leg rolled up

Sorry

Bunching? No need to apologise, it’s only yourself you’re chafing.

kimbers

10 miles each way into london,
    often its me thats a dick, filtering up the inside, red light creep, pretending to myself its still on amber when really its gone red by the time i get thru.

BUT 95% of the time i dont do any of that stuff and i daily see scores of others do much much worse

Im sure they think they are good cyclists too, but I know its pissing off a lot of car drivers not to mention some manouvers (but not that many imho) are dangerous.
    prob need many more police to actually enforce the law (for cars and bikes) or nothing will change

nick1962
    Free Member

Cyclists who dress all in black ,even in daylight they dont stand out against the background

Maybe in the Black Forest if not get your eyes tested 😉
    I sincerely hope you don’t drive or come across any black cars while you’re riding or driving.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Crikey, why do your pants have legs?

Edric64
    Free Member

Maybe in the Black Forest if not get your eyes tested
    I sincerely hope you don’t drive or come across any black cars while you’re riding or driving.
    Against dark foliage under trees they dont stand out .If they wore brighter clothing they would be easier to spot

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The kids on the street that have no brakes on bikes, bar foot/floor.
    And proceed to launch themselves down 50m high / 1 in 6 hill with corners and multiple junctions. Easily one of them on a BMX was doing 30+mph tonight…

tick

Im sure they think they are good cyclists too, but I know its pissing off a lot of car driver

tick

I’m going to hell aren’t I?

Yup, except cars are big, and visible, and shiny, and covered in reflective bits and lights and cyclists are small, and generally matte colored, and squishy.

stu170
    Free Member

The rather large mamil I spotted this weekend riding to newquay on the tight cornish roads. Eating an apple whilst meandering around

nick1962
    Free Member

Yup, except cars are big, and visible,and covered in reflective bits and light

So of course SMIDYS never happen between vehicles 🙂

Against dark foliage under trees they dont stand out .If they wore brighter clothing they would be easier to spot

🙄

bruk

Has to be the no light brigade.

Either suicidal kids on bmx with a healthy disregard for the rules of the road or dumb adults meandering along slowly wearing dark clothes and no helmets.

Euro
    Free Member

😳

crikey
    Free Member

Crikey, why do your pants have legs?

Cos if they didn’t they’d be shorts!

I suspect you’ve spent a long time in that America, where ‘pants’ means underpants. Here in the UK, pants are long trousers.

nick1962
    Free Member

falkirk-mark

The strobe lighters, as long as we can see you its okay doesn’t matter what we can’t see once you have passed.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Yup, except cars are big, and visible, and shiny, and covered in reflective bits and lights

Dark cars have more crashes than light coloured cars.

cbike
    Free Member

Every unlit cyclist I have seen has been in the city where there are lights. Pedestrians are unlit and I manage to see them all the time. Sure its helpful but I canny get too excited. To notice them you must have seen them. Therefore they are visible.
    Experience has taught me that there are places where such dafties will be about so I slow down and keep a good look out.

How many folk have pedal or wheel reflectors fitted eh? eh? heheheh! 🙂 I bet the unlit person on a bicycle has because he doesn’t know how to take them off and he actually uses his bike for transport and not just leisure.

😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saturday morning heading into town in the car, a cut through path joins the road just before a bridge, with solid white lines in the middle of the road. When I ride through there I’m in the middle of the lane as there is no room for 2 cars + bike together.

MAMIL exits the path after the car in front of me along side me with cars coming the other way 🙁 Didn’t even look to see what was going on, just after that approaching the roadie/mamil coffee shop post morning ride the “just leaving the cafe” crowd making the “just leaving the pub pissed” crowd look in more control.

Northwind

No lights drives me mad, I saw a group of 3 mountain bikers on the road from peebles to glentress (it’s an unlit nsl, there is a cycle path, incidentally). Not quite dark, but close. The one with the pathetic light, in the middle. And the one with the yellow jacket, at the front. Meanwhile the one dressed completely in black, positioned at the back doing his best to make the at least slightly visible other guys invisible.

Whenever I see an unlit cyclist (or one with a £2 tesco light, or nearly flat batteries, or my personal favourite a good light mounted in some way so that it’s hidden- pointing downwards, or sideways, or behind a pannier or mudguard) on an unlit road, part of me always wants to run them down to teach them the error of their ways. And I’m not usually a homicidal madman.

kcr
    Free Member

There’s enough negativity from some quarters, without our own ranks adding fuel to the fire..

Doh

kcr
    Free Member

part of me always wants to run them down to teach them the error of their ways.

Nice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘the idiotic cyclist thread’ is closed to new replies.