Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The 'I'd like to change our car' conversation -advice needed
  • vinnyeh

So, I’d like a change of car I think.
    No overriding reason, we’ve had an old ‘N’ reg Mazda Bongo for the last 4 years, the family really like it, it costs around 4-500 a year in servicing repairs etc, is reliable, comfortable for long journeys etc etc. Performance, handling and economy are dire (21mpg average according to Road Trip), but we don’t do that many miles, except on holidays, and I get to sleep in it when I take the bike away.

Complicated bit- I haven’t worked for a few years, I look after the kids, and have no idea how to explain to my wife that I’d like a change. Before somebody says to grow a pair, or similar, we have no issues with spending money on stuff that we like- if I fancy a change of bike, or she wants new shoes or a holiday, fine – we know what floats our boats, and get on with it, no dramas.

However, I’ve shown no real interest in cars in our marriage so don’t know how to explain I’d like a change for not much more than change’s sake- I can’t even decide what type of vehicle I’d like, let alone a model, and secondly, it’d probably be a fair bit more money than a bike ie it’d make a dent in our savings.

I know that people change their cars regularly, and some presumably have non working other halves who’d like a change, so what’s the justifications used?

br
    Free Member

If you can’t justify it to yourself, the only way your wife will agree is if she wants rid too. Or, she may decide you need a ‘treat’ 🙂

I’ve not worked a while and when my 535i died my wife would’ve let me buy anything within reason. While I’m not really into status cars, I do like big-engined cars, so just looked for something cheap that fitted the bill.

Ended up with an X-Type Jag, 3.0i and AWD – spent all of £1100. Its great.

toby1

Just bring up that you are bored of it, you may find she feels the same way. SO long as it’s not the ‘I’m bored of you’ conversation I doubt it’ll go down too badly!

molgrips
    Free Member

it costs around 4-500 a year in servicing repairs etc, is reliable

That sentence doesn’t seem to make sense!

If I were you I’d just say ‘I really fancy a change of car’ see what she says!

STATO
    Free Member

Work out the costs…

How much would you get for it
    Service costs
    fuel costs for milage last year
    how much for new car
    how much servicing (possibly free for x-years if next car is new?)
    fuel costs for milage in new car

You may find out it would be financially stupid not to change.
    You may find you suddenly love your current car when the hard costs are laid out.

Whatever you do, if your restricted income you should do the calcs.

TPTcruiser

N reg, seats must be becoming uncomfortable, backs get worse with time, need a better car for comfort?
    Bongo? So very last century.

vinnyeh

it costs around 4-500 a year in servicing repairs etc, is reliable
    That sentence doesn’t seem to make sense!

Maintenance is probably a better word than repairs- the car’s not broken on us yet.

N reg, seats must be becoming uncomfortable, backs get worse with time, need a better car for comfort?
    Bongo? So very last century.

Def last century, seats are surprisingly comfortable, upright position and old bodies I guess. A lot better than previous car (outback).

Fancy a change is probably best,,answer, and is the truth, I guess I feel a bit selfish saying it.

camo16
    Free Member

Personally I love the Mazda Bongo… it’s the perfect niche style statement/utility vehicle combo. It’s the kind of car you have to give a name.

What are you thinking of trading it in for, BTW?

ThePinkster

Have a look at what’s out there and see if anything tickles your fancy first, before raising it with your SO.

If Mrs. Pinkster told be she fancied a change of car with no idea of what she wanted, and then spent months not deciding on what she’d want to change to it’d drive me nuts.

rocketman
    Free Member

A new motor is a substantial purchase for most people personally I tend to put it on the back burner for a few months and make it all casual like. Request some brochures in the post, buy a few magazines & leave them lying around, that sort of thing maybe have wander around a showroom with no intention of buying. Easy does it.

After a while the prospect of buying a new car bubbles to the top as friends/relatives keep asking if you’ve bought that new motor yet and your old shed needs yet another few hundred quid of repairs/MOT etc. How nice it would be to have a new car eh?

Alternatively start looking at preposterous cars that you have no intention of buying and then ‘settle’ for the car you really wanted all along. Aim high shoot low etc good luck

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

FFS, just tell her. I must have a weird relationship because I’m able to communicate with the missus like an adult.

Leaving magazines around the house etc. I don’t think the OP is a child trying to give his mum and dad hints for Christmas presents.

molgrips
    Free Member

What I do is obsess about cars and go on about it for so long that she gives in to shut me up.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Your age could be important here, say its a mid life crisis and you think changing the car is more reasonable than looking for a mistress! 😀

If that doesn’t wash then just be honest and say you fancy a change….

Edit: safety sells, concern about ageing body structure, airbag age etc

mark90
    Free Member

What I do is obsess about <Stuff> and go on about it for so long that she gives in to shut me up.

This 🙂

BigJohn

It has to be her idea to change.

You just have to work out how to make it her idea.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

What is this “Savings” you speak of?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The 'I'd like to change our car' conversation -advice needed’ is closed to new replies.