The 'i' in iPod, iPad…

Home Forum Chat Forum The 'i' in iPod, iPad…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The 'i' in iPod, iPad…
  • scuzz

Got into a little discussion last night about how it’s so common for people to go on about themselves and how social media proliferates individualistic ‘me me me’ communications with “I did this” or “I’m…” before the person I was discussing this with said “like the i in iPod and Apple products”

I’d never considered that some people thought the i in Apple product names related to the user.
    I’d always thought about it in terms of the HP iPaq where it probably meant ‘internet’ or some other technical thing…

So, what do you think the i stands for / means?

And for the record, what do you think of Apple? Is there a correlation between people liking / disliking Apple and what they think the ‘i’ stands for?

Posted in Bike Forum, cause… erm…

flip
    scruff

iRish. As in iDave.

Premier Icon LeeW
    Subscriber

Ives, As in the surname of the designer Jonathon Ives – I beleive.

RealMan

sqrt(-1)

hth.

they started using it with iMac and i think it initially referred to internet back then

clubber

i was usually “interactive” at the time that the ipod came out IIRC.

prezet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac

“Apple declared the ‘i’ in iMac to stand for “Internet”; it also represented the product’s focus as a personal device (‘i’ for “individual”).”

Have used mac’s for over a decade, since OS 8, when they were focused at the professional creative market. Now they just seem to target the hipsters and the wanna-bes.

Still, can’t fault their laptops, and with OS X being built on a BSD unix core (version of) makes it a solid platform. However, most people that buy them only do so because they’re shiny and look cool – end up spending thousands on them just to go on facebook.

fenred

institutionalised

devs

ican’t believe people have so little in their lives that they have to discuss this stuff on a mountain bike forum. this thread has taken 60 secs of my life that I’ll never get back 🙁

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I suspect that whatever it stood for originally, it’s just a marketing device these days. “Individual” sounds like a backronym to me.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

ican’t believe people have so little in their lives that they have to discuss this stuff on a mountain bike forum. this thread has taken 60 secs of my life that I’ll never get back

What were you expecting from the title? A meta-analysis of Nietzsche? Irrefutable proof of creation? Scintillating discourse on the relative merits of tubeless tyres?

You came here and read it voluntarily, knowing what it was about. You’ve only got yourself to blame, you moany arse.

(-:

Not for sale in Iraq 😉

sweepy

I want to know what it is about fruit based names that inspires such strongly polarised opinions. Apple and Orange are the only companies I know that cause such division.

devs

Interesting use of the smiley. Does that mean you said it in jest or not. I’m confused.

slowrider

and pineapple dance studios 😉

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Pretty much everything I say is in jest. The smiley is for when I’m abusing people I’ve not previously abused, just in case they take the ‘ump.

scuzz

Interesting use of the smiley. Does that mean you said it in jest or not. I’m confused.

Don’t worry about it – you’ve already told us you’re wasting your life by viewing this thread, why are you still here? 😉

devs

In which case I see your moany arse and raise you a feckwitted buffoon. Oh and 🙂

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Don’t worry about it – you’ve already told us you’re wasting your life by viewing this thread, why are you still here?

They write themselves, don’t they.

Why, indeed, are we here. Why is anyone here? What is our higher purpose? (better?)

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

In which case I see your moany arse and raise you a feckwitted buffoon.

Is that one of those monkeys with a shiny bottom?

scuzz

I’m enjoying the responses so far.

I want to know what it is about fruit based names that inspires such strongly polarised opinions. Apple and Orange are the only companies I know that cause such division.

Blackberrys? Pfft

alpin

re. the iRack….

my aunt, who’s always been a bit ditty, was at Stanstead airport shortly after 9/11 drinking coffee with a friend waiting for someone at arrivals.

there came an annoucement over the tannoy asking Mr Mohammed (insert other generic islamic name) to return to Tierack. my aunt leant over to her friend and said “it could be one of those terrorists”. her friend agreed and they got there knickers in a twist wondering whether there was going to be an attack.

at this point the guy behind, who had obviously been listening, leant over and informed them that Tierack had nothing to do with Iraq or Iran, but was merely a shop… selling ties.

jon1973

ican’t believe people have so little in their lives that they have to discuss this stuff on a mountain bike forum. this thread has taken 60 secs of my life that I’ll never get back

I bet most of that 60 seconds was typing that sentance.

Pyro

they were focused at the professional creative market. Now they just seem to target the hipsters and the wanna-bes.

Sorry, explain to me the difference? 😉

iDon’t care

iDave

iThink it stands for imbecile

Premier Icon yoshimi
    Subscriber

For Sale Apple MacBook Pro 13″
    Perfect working order
    Never missed a beat
    Only selling as no longer doing proffesional creative work

£750 ono

nonk

ickle wickle woo.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘The 'i' in iPod, iPad…’ is closed to new replies.