The hidden danger of halogen downlighters
These need a large space around them to avoid them overheating. The electrician on one of my projects just stuffed them in the smallest hole in the insulation he could make, Fortunately I realised there was going to be a problem, and had to massively increase the void spaces in the insulation, thus causing cold spots in the roof 🙁
I would not use them again. There is a lot to be said for simple ceiling rose and added mobile light where you need it ( unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money on lighting solutions)Posted 4 years agotrail_ratMember
50 watt halogen here with laser thermometer is between 60-80deg c r50s and gu10
4.5 watt 240 v gu10s leds come in at 25degree c so on the same thermometer and having been on same length of time as the r50s and dont seem to be any hotter behind – i lifted the floor boards upstairs and checked ( i lie….. My floor boards were up already ;))
So watch your insulation if your fitting spotsPosted 4 years agosharkbaitMember
Just replaced some MR16 50w halogens, that where installed professionally about 11 years ago, with GU10 LEDs.Posted 4 years ago
A couple of the lights had failed and I suspected blown transformers but I wasn’t expecting to find the cable connectors melted through heat rising from the halogens!!
The fittings hadn’t been bodged, the connector was in its proper place on the fitting – this just happened to be above the lamp and therefore in the warm air flow rising from the bulb. It’s scary finding stuff like this in the roof 😯
Overheated and very brittle chocky block
Melted chocky block by Metal-Chicken, on FlickrrighogSubscriber
globalti – Member
Does glasswool burn then?
probably not but the problem is it traps ( insulates ) the heat produced and the light fittings and wire burn. My insulation was kingspan but the roof was made of wood.
Trail rat was correct there are hoods available ( I have these fitted ) these maintain the fire rating of the roof with the lights fitted and these where required by the building inspector.Posted 4 years agoshoggothMember
I used to see this all the time when i was a service engineer for a major supermarketPosted 4 years ago
On the food warmers in the cafes you have a bank of 4 or 5 halogen lights,1 or all of
them would stop working and the wiring would have just destroyed itself with the heat,
they fitted ceramic connector blocks instead of plastic but the wiring despite being sleeved
in fibreglass would turn black and crumble away over time.NobbySubscriber
I thought all new downlighters had to be fire rated? I know whe had to have them fitted with heat & noise?! shields when our extension was built 3 years ago – Building Regs demanded it & I think it’s written into the Part P rules on electrical installations.
IIRC the Electrical Safety Council offer specific guidance & literature on them.Posted 4 years ago
“This is a dichroic lamp that is designed to reflect the heat backwards into the light fitting and the light forwards. Make sure that you choose the right sort of lamp for your fitting. Aluminium lamps reflect the heat forward out of the fitting. See the related products tab for more options.”
“This is an aluminium reflector lamp that is designed to reflect the heat forwards away from the light fitting. Make sure that you choose the right sort of lamp for your fitting. Dichroic lamps reflect the heat backwards in the opposite direction to the light. See the related products tab for more options.”
I always buy the aluminium type for all my fittingsPosted 4 years ago
The topic ‘The hidden danger of halogen downlighters’ is closed to new replies.