Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The Hebridean Way?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How are you doing it, logistics wise? (But not like Ton did it, rode from Mallaig back to Oban I think?)
    3, maybe 4 blokes (5 if Ton comes) from north east England.
    Tell me the various options please!

matt_outandabout

I’ve just watched the Joe and Ferg video.

They did train – Oban – Heb Way – back down to Stornoway – cycle across Skye – train.

I thought that was a really good way of doing it.

tjagain

to me the best way is start and finish in oban – ferry to Barra, ride up the islands, ferry to skye from Harris riode downskye ( the only shit bit of riding) ferry from skye to mallaig, ride to ardnamuchan, ferry to tobermory on mull, ride across mull ferry to oban

thats the way i did it.  easy in two  weeks and the mainland riding is lovely.  Only busy ( for Scottish islands) and two lane bit is on skye bar a few short sections.  I think I did aroun 370 miles.  didn’t get to the butt of lewis but easily could have done if we hadn’t taken more detours

ton

oban, lochboisdale, up to bernaray, leverburgh, golden road to tarbert, up to stornoway and back to tarbert.
    ferry to uig, portree, broadford, armadale, ferry to mallaig.
    as much coast as possible to lochailort. moidart to acharacle.
    ardnamurchan to kilchoan. ferry to balamory ride to craignure. ferry to oban.

just bloody awesome. and our lass managed it too. ;o)

slackboy

If you are tight on time (and flush of budget) you can get ferry from oban to castlebay, ride up the islands and then get the ferry from stornoway to ullapool. Then ticket to ride highlands will bus you back to oban.

There’s no free parking in oban car parks anymore – but you can buy weekly tickets for a nominated car park from the council in advance.

and sign up for the SMS calmac notifications. I didn’t and nearly missed the ferry when the sailing time was bought forward 4 hours.

scotroutes

Then ticket to ride highlands will bus you back to oban.

Yep. I used to drive this trip. It’s quite a long drive from Ullapool to Oban so you need to have booked the morning sailing from Stornoway. It’s a bit spendy if you are solo or a pair, but works out pretty well if you have a larger group. The drivers are pretty flexible so you can plan a short break on the way etc.

Alternatively, train to Oban – ferry to Barra, then return could be Ferry to Ullapool and either TTR take you to Inverness to catch the train or just ride there. The main road is “OK” but you could also do the off-road trip up Glen Achall and across to Garve then train it from there*

* Note that getting a large number of bikes on the trains will need careful planning. I don’t think the new Scotrail carraiges are working the Inverness – Central Belt routes.

bedmaker

Might not suit, as it’s quite a lot extra, but I did it last May from Inverness.

Great Glen way to Ft William, fantastic new cycle route to Oban.
    Ferry across and full Heb way.

Ferry back to Ullapool and ride the well established c to c route back to Evanton then back home on back roads.
    Was a fantastic eight days away, with a mix of wild camping and a few nights on sites. Weather was shite for May, but only one properly grim day.

gowerboy

We got off the Sleeper at Bridge of Orchy, rode to Oban via Glen Kinglass, then ferry to Barra, rode to Stornaway, ferry to Ullapool and then rode to Inverness roughly via the path of the Higland 550 route (not via the northern loop and we left it at Cannish) Sleeper home from Inverness.

It was a really great trip that all worked really well.

doom_mountain

I left my van in Oban (back when it was still free). Ferry to Barra, up to butt of Lewis, back down to tarbert and a ferry across to Skye. Spent a few days cycling through Skye and then ferry to mallaig and cycled Fort William and then back to Oban.

One of the best trips I’ve ever done, cycling on the islands is superb. Make sure to stop at The Anchorage near the ferry port on Harris, food was excellent.

BoardinBob

It’s a fantastic trip. Did it solo back in 2018. Train to Oban then ferry from there and work your way north.

I will say that my experience of the road from Ullapool to Garve to get the train home was utterly miserable. There’s a pretty honking climb out of Ullapool that eventually had me off and pushing my very heavily laden bike. Once you’re past that, it’s essentially a long straight road all the way, that’s also part of the NC500 route. Having tossers “making progress” at 100mph+ overtakes blasting past me was truly horrific experience. With hindsight I would definitely have paid anything for a shuttle to Garve or if I had more time I’d have gone off road. The road itself is well surfaced, it’s just a shame the road users are pricks. Special mention to the Mk1 Astra driver that gave me a foot of space as he overtook at well over the speed limit.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks! Some good options. I think we’d do it over a week cos of time constraints on those who are unlucky enough to be working full time!

scotroutes

IMHO a weeks is barely enough time, especially once you factor in travel at each end. 😀

tjagain

I did Tons route and it took 12 days.  I was going to go again and take longer over it

Even OBan / barra / Stornoway / Ullapool a week is barely long enough  9 days maybe

nbt

we did a one week trip

Saturday up to Oban, ferry to Barra
    Sunday- Barra to Benbecula
    Monday – Benbecula to Tarbert via Golden Road
    Tuesday – Ferry to Uig and down to Portree (we went over the Quirang and down the east of Skye to try to find quieter roads)
    Wednesday – Portree to Ardvasar (busiest roads of the trip)
    Thursday – Ferry to Mallaig and ride to Glenuig
    Friday – lenuig to Kilchoan, ferry to Tobermory, on to Salen
    Saturday – round Mull and ferry to Oban
    Sunday home

We didn’t do anything north of Tarbert. Those are very social distances shall we say, so you could cover more in one day if you push, though hal;f the joy is knowing you only have 40 miles to ride so you can take it easy, knock off for a wander, paddle in the sea etc

if I was going to go from Barra to Butt of Lewis Id either do 2 weeks, or get the ferry to Ullapool and go back from there somehow

can share the spreadsheet with GPS links and details of our accomodations if you want – edit, looks like some of the maps have expired

highlandman
    Free Member

Similar to TJ etc, the Mrs & I did a circuit from Oban to Tarbert on Harris and back via the mainland & Mull.
    Left the car at Oban on day 1 and took the afternoon boat out to Barra. So day two was a circuit of Barra & Vatersay, picnic on the beach there with corncrakes behind us in the machair. Preceded by cake & coffee at the airport cafe.
    Day 3, up on the boat to Eriskay and on through South Uist to overnight on Benbecula.
    4: through N Uist, Berneray to Leverburgh; west coast to Tarbert & overnight on Scalpay.
    5: mooched about Harris, exploring trails and coffee stops. Scalpay harbour cafe for dinner.
    6: an easy day, boat to Uig and rode to Portree in good time for a curry.
    Day 7 had the busiest traffic, as others have noted but an early start got us through Sligachan on near empty roads, then Broadford and on down to Claire McDonald’s wee hoose for a seafood lunch. Boat to Mallaig, Morar beach walk and Arisaig hotel.
    8: From there along to Lochailort, Glenuig road and stopped at Salen after a diversion to castle Tioram & an ice cream by the Acharacle village shop.
    Last day was from Salen to Kilchoan, Tobermory, lunch, final boat of the trip back from Craignure to Oban. Sigh….
    An absolutely cracking trip all round and thoroughly recommended. Try to allow time for diversions, cake & castles.

mau00149
    Free Member

I had been looking at this when covid kicked in. Just been looking at it again with a “quick” version due to restricted holiday availability doing it over 5 days including travel, essentially 3 days of 60 miles

Day one – ferry to Barra, possibly some riding on evening depending on accommodation.

Day 2 Barra to Berneray

Day 3 Berneray to Callanish

Day 4 – Callanish to Butt and back to Stornoway (possibility of shuttle dependong on time to meet ferry) and travel home.

Likely influenced by accommodation, possibility of camping opens opportunities bit heavier bike.

Probably a bit rushed but looks to be best balance I can make with restricted time. Also looked at 4 day option but again even more restricted to see things.

Ideally would like to do early May before midge season but not sure it’s possible for friends to get annual leave then (teacher). Other option was early August, although im oncerned regards midges then, should I be? How bad would they be then?

BoardinBob

essentially 3 days of 60 miles

I did that. It’s far too quick. Day 1 I did 80 miles, day 2 was 66 and day 3 was 56 to the Butt of Lewis. Gave me very little time to stop off and see various things and generally soak it all in. Also dont underestimate the hills. I did 8000ft of climbing including a brutal slog into a horrific headwind and torrential rain in the middle of June. If I did it again I’d be aiming for 35 miles a day

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I did 8000ft of climbing including a brutal slog into a horrific headwind and torrential rain in the middle of June.

That’s it I’m oot! 😜😂

BoardinBob

That’s it I’m oot!

The weather on day 2 was as bad as the depths of winter. I abandoned my camping plan that night and limped into a b&b where the wee wifey cheerily told me Harris was the wettest place in the UK that day

duckman

Remember that Harris still observes the Sabbath for the most part….I did the half marathon about 3 years ago and went for beer and pizza afterward. What larks trying to find anything open to buy food the next day. Barra is the Catholic island so curry and beer are sabbath staples.

matt_outandabout

@BoardinBob makes a good point – this is a tour of a stunning place, with some iffy weather and gert big hills / gert big wind in places. Taking your time has to be worthwhile….I also noted a few cyclists stuck to the direct main roads – mrs_oab and I discussed that if we did it, a few more back roads, some gravel, out and backs to see nice places / art galleries / cafe / beachers would be the order of the day.

nealc
    Free Member

If you short on time (less than a week) I’d just do barra-stornoway and get a shuttle ullapool-oban. Which will be cheap(!!) Between 5. That’s not to say the options for riding back on the mainland and mull aren’t fantastic but you’re kinda there to see the hebrides . For me and family the mainland was a separately trip. For example west lewis (mangestra) is one of the highlights and not on the route.

Fwiw there is still free parking in oban. A small corner of the tesco carpark is for (paying) coaches and free longstay. The sign is very confusing though.

tjagain

Gert big hills?  In the hebridies?  there are two climbs of around 500 – 600 ft on harris and the golden road has a load of short steep climbs ( which misses one of the 500ft climbs)

pistola
    Free Member

I did a light version with a few friends in 2019 as we were limited for time. Our route meant we had the same start and finish point at Uig, where we left cars. Downside was we didn’t see the southern and northern extremes of the HW (Barra and Lewis).
    Day 1 – drove to Uig on Skye and got the last ferry over to Lochmaddy on N Uist;
    Day 2 – rode down through Benbecula and S Uist via the ‘main’ road to Eriskay;
    Day 3 – rode back up S Uist, Benbecula and N Uist but taking the off-road tracks and smaller roads that skirt the west coast (Machair) of S Uist, the west coast road of Benbecula and the west coast road of N Uist and onto Berneray (great bunkhouse). This was the longest riding day by far but you ‘should’ have a bit of a tailwind and you have shortcuts by retracing your route from the previous day if required;
    Day 4 – Berneray on to Harris via Leverburgh Ferry and up Harris (Golden Road) to Tarbert;
    Day 5 – Ride exploring Harris and back for ferry and return to the cars at Uig.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

but you’re kinda there to see the hebrides

Exactly (even though we had a week on South Uist without bikes a few years ago) & I’ve done Ardnamurchan every year since 2004 & before so don’t feel the need to pedal it.
    It was mainly accommodation & getting back to Oban I was wondering about.
    Some great info though, thanks!

metalheart
    Free Member

The Hebridean Way is an actual thing (and waymarked) route from Vatersay to the Butt of Lewis. I’d be less precious about the actual route (although I did pretty stick strictly to the NCN, it wasn’t my plan but the weather was challenging so that was that). So if you don’t do the two endpoints you haven’t done the Heb Way (you’ve just ridden in the Hebrides). No shame in that, just like you’ve on,y run 29 miles, it ain’t a marathon.

I have a pretty unique way. It started by driving to Glasgow and staying with a mate (also going to a gig) before heading off to catch the train to Oban (left car at my mates) and then catching the ferry to Castlebay. The ferry was, err, interesting. For some reason I decided to ask the Purser what the forecast was like and his response was ‘oh it’s looking a little rough this trip’. Oh. Forewarned is forearmed and I picked as inboard a seat as I could. Apparently on the upper deck there were people lying moaning on the floor and sick running down the steps…

I cycled down to Vatersay and the start point before finding a bivvy spot (in a sheep pen, I hoped for shelter) for the night. At 3am I was awake and hanging on the tent pole. At 4am I gave up the ghost and de-pitched starting off in the dark around 5am. It did mean I caught the first ferry to Eriskay though! Gave me a chance to let some of the water run off… as the weather was absolute shite (it was September and the end of the US hurricane season blowing out over the Atlantic) so I just kept cycling; eriskay, south Uist, benbecula, and on spotting a bunkhouse at the bottom of a hill (and a headwind) on north Uist I weakened and gave in. I had the bunkhouse all to myself (£20) and the next day it was bright and dry. So it off to catch the Harris ferry from Berneray, over the hill (where is started absolutely pishin again) and I relented for a second night in a hostel in Tarbert.

Next day the forecast was better than the following (more rain and change in wind direction) i decided to push on to the Butt, stopping in past Callanish for lunch and the stones. Camped on the beach at the Butt. It was exciting as I pitched in the wee cove when the tide was out and I watched the tide encroaching for a couple of hours wondering if I was going to get wet and even washed out to sea. Fortunately it stopped about 25m from the tent…

Another early start and off to Stornaway (at least the wind was in the right direction) and catch the ferry.

My original intention was to cycle (more or less) the HT550 route through Glen Achill, Strath Munzie and Strath Vaich… but I developed a severe reaction to the saddle (fizzik, never again!) and was in not inconsiderable discomfort and pain. So I phone a friend who worked for a cycle taxiing firm and asked if he had pick ups in Ullapool. But he didn’t… but he did offer to come pick me up in his own van…. (@scotroutes, I’m still owe you that, I’ve not forgotten!). We did return the following week by cycling from Garve to Ullapool and back again, the route I should’ve taken before the arse issues.

That dropped me off home. My mate from Glasgow was out west on holiday and I managed to scrounge a lift back to his gaff to pick up my car a couple days later…

Not sure how repeatable that would be for anyone else mind.

metalheart
    Free Member

Sorry, meant to say that I had planned to cycle the Machar, I considered the golden road and I was defiant going to take a detour on the Posties Path to Rhenigidale.

I had planned be on the islands for 6-7 days (instead 4-5 It actually was) but with the shite weather it wasn’t to be.

Doing the route in three days meant there wasn’t much ‘enjoyment‘ other than the pure pedal turning. And Callanish (obvs).

nbt

It was mainly accommodation & getting back to Oban I was wondering about.

This is the place we stayed at on Barra. Bloody lovely, it was, and we had Corncrake right outside the window.

Angela’s B&B
    01871 810287
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZLKtsV682cAadwDz5

You may differ, but I’d rather pay for a bit of comfort. Never liked tents, so they idea of bikepacking is not for me, thanks

wolpe
    Free Member

First of all, I hope you enjoy this trip to the fullest. I tried it this summer, and it was a real adventure. I said in 16 days. I think the best way is to start and finish in Oban – ferry to Barra

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You may differ, but I’d rather pay for a bit of comfort. Never liked tents, so they idea of bikepacking is not for me, thanks

Me neither seeing as I no longer even posess a tent. The poor buggers I saw bikepacking the NC500 in the pissy wet/gale force wind convinced me tents are a stupid idea.😝
    Although I knew years ago from doing Polaris Challenges.

scotroutes

Hmm….

matt_outandabout

@wolpe – odd link to throw in, oh new forum member.

scotroutes

Spammy McSpamster

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘The Hebridean Way?’ is closed to new replies.