• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by majk.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The Halfords method…
  • Goz
    Free Member

Flat bar road bike……flatbar rapid fire shifters…..double front mech…..XT chainset..(compact double originaly fitted, XT fitted at Halfords)…..question is how do you get it to engage all three rings…?

schmiken

Is it double front shifter?

Goz
    Free Member

Read my post… 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zaskar
    Free Member

Change the front mech for a triple and you should be ok?

I assume that the thumb shifter is a triple compatible-is what he probably meant as he didn't say front mech. But OP did say XT 3 rings!

Why would you want a mtb chainset on a hybrid road bike? spinning out!

Need to order a double crank really, and the right size rings!

Whats the biggest ring on that XT double? (do they sell double XT?) will 50/36 fit?

O.P. did you see this bike or do you own it?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Road flat bar shifter and 3 rings will only work with a triple road mech.. The leverage on the cable clamp arm is different from MTB. Did you get a 48 tooth chainset? Will be spintastic otherwise.

Northwind

Did you tell Halfords just to fit the crank, or did you tell them to fit the crank and the other bits it needs to make it work?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ask it nicely?

Goz
    Free Member

First of all its not my bike, its a bike that came in for service, the customer was having trouble with gear selection mainly front mech/chainring.
    Originaly he had a compact double at the front( with double mech) and all was well, he found the gears to high and had a XTchainset fitted…(at Halfords), no other parts were changed…my question is how did the Halfords mechanic allow the chain to be moved to all three rings….And im not the Halfords mechanic!!!….

Goz
    Free Member

Any ideas?

bassspine
    Free Member

Did it actually ever work at all?
    Are you being given the difficult bit of the job?
    Halfrauds bunged a chainset on, whizzed it up and down the gears with their eyes squinted a bit and it was nearly ok… now you get the fall-out?

zaskar
    Free Member

Been there-get the dodgy bike fecked up by everyone without any experience and manager asks me a part time student to try and fix it and call the customer…

Ok first thing is to find the original chainset and check the pcd and teeth. See if availble aftermarkets are available or even a cassette.

Check mechs and shifters and see what is compatible. I think you will have a short rear mech limiting your cassett choices 12-27 maybe?
    and then a 50 and 34 teeth chain ring set.

Ask the customer what the problem is, how much they ride and what use e.g. hill rides etc are they free from knee injury etc.

If you can't sort this then give it to the manager and ask if you can take it to joe bloggs bike shop LOL!

Ask the manager (if you're there a long time) to get cytec trained and give you the knowledge that you can repair bikes safely for yourself and customers. Tell him you save money and time…

bassspine
    Free Member

I have a theory that shimano just machine one small part of the mech with a lump for doubles and without a lump for triples. If you could get to it with a file and de-lumpify it you'd be away.

Goz
    Free Member

Answer…..Halfords fitted a HT11 b/b in a 68mm shell without any spacers, allowing the axle/chainset to move from side to side….and with a little luck and nifty footwork the chain will move accross all three rings…..jobs a good un. All i did was fit the original chainset+ bb…

Lifer
    Free Member

Answer…..Halfords fitted a HT11 b/b in a 68mm shell without any spacers, allowing the axle/chainset to move from side to side….and with a little luck and nifty footwork the chain will move accross all three rings…..jobs a good un

That is mental!

STATO
    Free Member

If it had a compact double fitted originally then you can only get lower gearing by going down to MTB size rings. What you dont say is if the XT chainset was fitted with the intention of running all 3 rings? Its possible that the mechanic fitted it and set it up to run the 32t and 44t, ive done this in the past, tho i usually remove the 22t.

JasonLock
    Free Member

When I used to work in an LBS the Halfords mechanic would reguarly pop in for advice and would bring his own bike in to be serviced. As for the problem I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing as without seeing the bike it is very difficult to say, especially as I have worked on many a bike that has been to Halfords and come out with incompatable parts or they have been incorrectly fitted. That said I have had a couple from other LBS's with similar problems so I would go on someones reccomendation that you trust.

JasonLock
    Free Member

p.s. take the reciept to Halfords and they will normally pay up for the error!

majk

My wonderful Halfords experience:

Easter bank holiday, LBS not open, realise I can't find my shock pump with hours to go before leaving for trip to Wales.

See that Halfords web site says they stock a shock pump, so I give my local branch a phone call to see if they have one in stock.

Halfords bike guy: "Sorry, no, we don't have one. Can't you use a normal pump instead?"

Me: "No, normal pumps don't get anything like the pressure you need"

Halfords guy: "Maybe you could take it down the local garage and connect it to their airline?"

Me: run away screaming.

Luckily Evans cycles not too far away opened at 11am…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The Halfords method…’ is closed to new replies.