Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • The Greatest Living Englishman?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Surely it’s Cliff?

<goodness gracious me voice> Indian </goodness gracious me voice>

binners

toppers3933
    Free Member

Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes. If only for the name.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Why was Ghandi deleted?

He was a subject of the order was he not?

He had English values of freedom and democracy.

He lived here did he not?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I like Ranulph Fiennes , don’t get me wrong, but isn’t he just a massive posho ? Apologies if this is untrue but the Eton thing and all. Flame on!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

don’t get me wrong, but isn’t he just a massive posho ?

Whats that mean then?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranulph_Fiennes

a long varied and interesting life, probably being born who he was helped a lot but that doesn’t enable you to do what he has done

poah
    Free Member

Frankenstein – Member

Why was Ghandi deleted?

not living, not English and was a bit of a creepy, class obsessed racist pervert lol

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

I doubt that is possible coz they are either born with greatness or they merely pretending to be great.

I think you are mis-remembering Malvolio:
    In my stars I am above thee; but be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon ’em. [/quote]

Okay okay if you see greatness from Malvolio’s perspective whoever he is.

My view is that unless you have the “the quality of greatness in your gene” try as you might you can only improved slightly. However, that slight improvement might be enough for you to interpret as “greatness” but for me that is still a nearly person.

Anyhoo, it looks like it’s not easy to find the living greats from the publicly known list, which I am not surprised of coz living greats will not want to be associated with inflated ego of being listed as “great”.

bearGrease

There have been some “amusing” artists, politicians and sports people suggested here but the GREATEST living Englishman is this man:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Who the **** is he?

bearGrease

Ernie, as a service to the ignorant I made the image clickable.

fettlin

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, as a service to the ignorant I made the image clickable.

Ah, thanks.

Never heard of him.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

God Ernie you are so ignorant

🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well it would be helpful if his name was “Peter Higgs Boson”, that might’ve given me a clue.

Still, I’m warming to him :

Higgs was awarded the 2004 Wolf Prize in Physics (sharing it with Brout and Englert), but he refused to fly to Jerusalem to receive the award because it was a state occasion attended by the then president of Israel, Moshe Katsav, and Higgs is opposed to Israel’s actions in Palestine.

Any anti-zionist is a friend of mine.

slowoldman

Actually with all this talk of explorers and mountaineers, this guy is cool.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well he’s related to the Queen.

I don’t agree with all his political views but he was interesting to talk to.

Leku
    Free Member

The reason we should be a Republic.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hmm, Honourable mention here for Capt James Hillier Blount of the Life Guards – infamous for preventing WW3, shagging supermodels and pwning the Twitterspere

abbot
    Free Member

Billy Connelly.

Or if I can’t nominate him for some reason I’ll go for Julia Bradbury.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

poah – Member
    Frankenstein – Member
    Why was Ghandi deleted?
    not living, not English and was a bit of a creepy, class obsessed racist pervert lol

What’d you mean he was creepy?

Also Billy C is Scottish and proud.

mogrim

Have to say I’ve been looking at this thread and trying to think of someone, but as an ex-pat it’s almost impossible to think of anyone that’s really worth mentioning. David Attenborough is the obvious choice, I suppose, but even that’s a parochial choice and not actually that well known outside of the UK. I’ve asked my (Spanish) wife and the only one she can think of is the Queen. So as a dutiful husband I’ll vote the same.

Daffy

For flying the flag of Britain (literally) all over the world:

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Tim Berners-Lee

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Well it would be helpful if his name was “Peter Higgs Boson”, that might’ve given me a clue.

Still, I’m warming to him :

Higgs was awarded the 2004 Wolf Prize in Physics (sharing it with Brout and Englert), but he refused to fly to Jerusalem to receive the award because it was a state occasion attended by the then president of Israel, Moshe Katsav, and Higgs is opposed to Israel’s actions in Palestine.

Any anti-zionist is a friend of mine.

1. I am afraid he is not greater than any other politicians with his political views. He sees is no humanity.

2. They are that great they found their answer in Hindu God Shiva at CERN.

Notice the round circle behind Hindu God Shiva? That’s where the God particles are.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ bearnecessities – You could be on to something!

Rob Colliver Man For All Seasons, #theantihipster, coming to a craft beer invitation only screening near you…..

The man for all seasons not just summer! rinsing your KOM’s before the sun’s up! Out there somewhere rocking 29er and Aldi bibs while the rest are applying colour matched fork decals for the photoshoot and invisi tape for maximum residual values! On the internet raining scorn and derision on anything they can’t do themselves. Pillorying new developments of the sport from the comfort of their expert hobbyist virtual ivory towers boooooom 😉

natrix
    Free Member

In my opinion “Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes” should be disqualified from selection on the basis of being a complete cad.

When caught drink driving he used his money and influence to avoid a ban and his dangerous driving exploits have left at least one of his victims permanently disabled. IMHO he should be banned from driving, if this means that he can’t climb the north face of the eiger again then so be it, one of his victims can’t even climb up to change a light bulb. 👿

Chris Bonnington on the other hand is a really nice bloke, he came to my aid following a climbing accident once and when interviewed on the radio he defended my actions and spoke up for me – cheers Chris 😀

Chris Boardman is another all-round top bloke, who invited me to join him and his family celebrate his world hour record at the Manchester Velodrome even though he didn’t even know me. 😀

stevied
    Free Member

For bringing people together:

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘The Greatest Living Englishman?’ is closed to new replies.