• This topic has 144 replies, 97 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by vazaha.
Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • The Greatest Album of the 1990’s
  • gowerboy

Levelling the land. I still listen to it… and I still love it.

si77

In no particular order:

Nevermind

Pearl Jam Vs

Soul Asylum Grave Dancers Union

Deftones Around the fur

Placebo

Reef Replenish

Finley Quaye Maverick a strike

William Orbit Strange cargo Hinterland

Beth Orton Trailer Park

Metallica (black)

The Crow (soundtrack)

Björk Post

RATM

Sneaker Pimps Becoming X

Edit:

need to add Leftism and Exit Planet Dust to that list

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Exit Planet Dust by The Dust Junkys

Exit planet dust was under the Chemical Brothers name. Prior to that they were the Dust Brothers. I remember hearing a track early 90s as Dust Brothers on Tongy’s show.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve not seen the Orb mentioned?

Adventures beyond is brilliant.

it has to be Renaissance

That was probably my most listened to album of the ’90’s

Lots on here that I was into at the time, but don’t get much of a listen now – Portishead, Verve etc

The one that stands out for me most, that I listen to a lot now – Metallica – Metallica (Black Album)

tthew

For the 90’s, I’m going with Pulp. But not Different Class, too many overplayed tracks on that even now. This is Hardcore.

_tom_
    Free Member

Like the 2000s there’s just too much choice in the 90s!

RATM – all 3 albums are 10/10 imo, not a bad song on any.
    AiC – Facelift and Dirt
    Nirvana – Nevermind and In Utero
    Soundgarden – Superunknown and Badmotorfinger
    Pantera – CFH, Far Beyond Driven, Vulgar Display of Power, Trendkill
    Blink 182 – Enema of The State
    Green Day – Dookie

I can do without britpop though, apart from some Blur.

binners

Exit planet dust was under the Chemical Brothers name. Prior to that they were the Dust Brothers. I remember hearing a track early 90s as Dust Brothers on Tongy’s show

They used to do regular sets as the Dust Brothers at the awesome Sleuth nights at Paradise Factory in the early 90’s.

Saw them loads of times in the pre-Chemical Brothers days. Exit Planet Dust is a top album!

Anyway… another contender. Absolutely epic and still sounds incredible today

chakaping
    Free Member

I reckon I do actually.

I loved it at the time, especially Impact and Halcyon, but now I think it sounds very much ‘of its time’ while I think In Sides just sounds as fresh now as it did when it came out. It’s not so much tied to a scene. So while Halcyon is an instant nostalgia rush (for me anyway), The Girl With the Sun In Her Head just blows me away like it’s the first time I’m hearing it.

That’s interesting, I listened to the brown album all the way through a month or two ago and was surprised by how consistent and timeless it sounds.

Obviously it’s subjective though, and I never fully clicked with “intelligent techno”.

abingham

Blink 182 – Enema of The State

Holy crap, yes! So much good music from the 90’s.

kelvin

The Dust Junkys and The Dust Brothers (UK) were not the same guys!

The confusion is in the album name. Can’t remember what the Dust Junkys one was… but also had “dust” in the title.

[ I also was in MCR in the 90s ]

Anyway… I might want to change my choice again! 808 State shouldn’t have been overlooked. *ex:el* ?

As for In Sides.. The Box overshadows the rest of that album. Still such a huge tune.

alanf
    Free Member

Dust Junkys – Done and Dusted was the first album
    Dust Brothers became the Chemical Brothers as there was already the Dust Brothers in the US

prawny

I’ve only read the first few entries because I’m going to have to give this some thought. But I wanted to get in early and say the Insomniac is better than Dookie.

prawny

Actually scratch thinking about it. Whatever and Ever Amen is the best album of the 1990s.

Late contender and don’t know if it’s been mentioned – almost forgot about it myself.

Brilliant album, shame they couldn’t follow it up. Local lad/s too – Gomez, Bring It On

Might listen to it in a bit, but currently got Urban Hymns playing in the headphones off the back of this thread

Oh and another – Embrace, The Good Will Out. Saw them twice in that era

theotherjonv

For the 90’s, I’m going with Pulp. But not Different Class, too many overplayed tracks on that even now. This is Hardcore.

The fact there are so many overplayed tracks is because it is the greatest album of the decade. But I’m with you, Hardcore is my preference.

Minor claim to fame, I went to school with half the Chemical Brothers; I was 6th form and so teachers could nick off and smoke in the staffroom at lunch, we had to supervise the younger kids at lunchtime (we had no school dinners, packed lunch in your form room). I made him take his turn sweeping up like any other kid….

tourismo

Earth V’s the Wildhearts.

Completely different from anything else that was going on at the time.

CountZero

and raise it with Mark Hollis by Mark Hollis.

I was wondering if someone would suggest that! While I adore Talk Talk’s entire discography, that album I find incredibly difficult to listen to. It’s because there’s so much space in it, it’s about as minimalist as an album can get without it being an hour’s worth of silence, and I find it uncomfortable to listen to.

And believe me, I’ve tried, I bought it as soon as it was released, but I’ve never grown to love it.

And considering just how the Talk Talk albums progressed, getting sparser as they went along, ‘Mark Hollis’ is as near to an album’s worth of just ambient noise as he could get away with!

reeksy

Brilliant album, shame they couldn’t follow it up. Local lad/s too – Gomez, Bring It On

Funny you say that, one of my favourite albums. And they haven’t put out an album I don’t like yet (listening to Ben Ottewell right now). For the last few years my youngest son will listen endlessly to Gomez… we actually have to stop him.

listening to Ben Ottewell right now

He often crops up at little gigs around Matlock

Took this a few years ago

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ytstf2]DSC09584[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

Pulp are a funny one, they seem very nice people and I can tell they make smart, sophisticated pop – but I just can’t connect with their music. Maybe they’re a bit too arch for me?

Anyone else?

MSP

Pulp are a band where if I hear one of their songs on the radio every now and then I will really enjoy it, but I couldn’t listen to a whole album.

johnx2
    Free Member

Actually scratch thinking about it. Whatever and Ever Amen is the best album of the 1990s.

Blimey. You could be right.

Earl
    Free Member

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

+1

vazaha

You’d think it would be OK Computer, until you remembered Urban Hymns – then squeaking it on the line you realise it’s Beyond Skin –

Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.