Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • The Greatest Album of the 1970’s
  • MoreCashThanDash

Bat Out of Hell.

StuE

Not claiming it’s the greatest album of 70’s but it’s my favourite
    All mod cons
    https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mI0lqElyZ5uZ5h-gfFxw375_KhTUk6_2k&feature=share

MSP

I so wanted to suggest something by the jam, I went and looked at the track listings of their 70’s albums to see which would be the best option, and realised I would just keep listening to the greatest hits rather than any particular album.

RustySpanner

mefty
    Free Member
    Inflammable Material – Stiff Little Fingers, just edges The Clash – The Clash

Listened to this just last night (and watched a documentary about it on YT).
    My God, I’d forgotten just how brutal it is. Fantastic.

Right now though, Eno – Taking Tiger Mountain (by strategy).
    Never gets old, always makes me laugh, still sounds like it’s just been released.

slowoldman

Hang on, hold the front page. I just remembered –

THE PRETENDERS.

Though there appears to be some disagreement about its actual release year – late 79 or early 80. Anyway, whatever, it was and remains, brilliant.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Ramones – Leave Home.

Russell96

Second MoreCash, shocked that it took till the second page for someone to mention it

gordimhor

There were at least two “The 70s”
    The 70s v1
    Stevie Wonder Songs in the key of life
    Lou Reed Transformer
    Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
    The 70s v2
    The Clash London Calling
    Bob Marley and the wailers Exodus
    Joy Division Unknown Pleasure

gowerboy

There are too many good albums from the 70s. Lots of my favorites mentioned above.

Other notable mentions for me include
    Aqualung or Thick as a Brick
    Frampton Comes Alive (yes I know it’s a live album but is just brilliant)
    Harvest, After the Gold Rush and Live Rust
    Highway to Hell

CountZero

Just off the top of my head, having looked through what others have posted so far.

Aqualung

Marquee Moon

Talking Heads ‘77’

Rumours

Nursery Crime

Selling England By The Pound

Wish You Were Here.

metalheart
    Free Member

I look at what somepeople have posted and I think ‘thank god I’ve my own collection’…🤪 taking on board the not being negative about (well Music is subjective) I’d say to select a single greatest album of the 70’s is impossible (it’d be difficult enough to select one per year) I’m going to mention some essential albums that I don’t see mentioned:

There’s a Riot Going on – Sly & the family stone (also Fresh)
    Someday we’ll look back – Merle Haggard (the cd reissue with Hag as well is my all time favourite Merle cd)
    Trench Town Mix Up – The Gladiators
    Two Sevens Clash – Culture
    Reggae Got Soul – Toots & The Maytals
    Tonight’s the night, On The Beach & Rust Never Sleeps – Neil Young
    Raw Power – Iggy & The Stooges (I’ll admit Fun House is the better album though)
    I’m Still in love with you – Al Green
    Greetings From LA – Tim Buckley
    Blue Valentines- Tom Waits (my favourite pre swordfish album of his)
    GP & Grievous Angel – Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris
    Horses – Patti Smith
    Ramones – The Ramones (ie the first)
    New York Dolls – New York Dolls
    Blank Generation – Richard Hell & the Void-oids
    On The Corner – Miles

I’d also like to +1 to Tago Mago (& Ege Bamyazi), Marquee Moon, Entertainment & London Calling. Oh and some the Dylan stuff.

There’s also serious gaps in the above as I don’t know specific albums well enough but there’s James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, Chic/Sister Sledge/Rogers & Nile, etc., etc. I’d need to dig through my boxes of cds

I did have to laugh at DOTM ‘and no debate’, it’s not even the best Floyd album!

mogrim

Each to their own, but I, genuinely, detest that album, and Pink Floyd’s music in general.

+1

I’m going with Horses – Patti Smith.

doom_mountain

David Bowie – Low (or Heroes, I just love the largely ambient B-side of Low)

Marvin Gaye – What’s going on?

Stevie Wonder – Innervisions

Kraftwerk – Trans Europe Express

Sun Ra – Lanquidity (anybody else like Ra?)

All out before I was born but in regular rotation in my house / van. If I had to choose one it’d probably be Marvin.

chakaping
    Free Member

If I had to choose one it’d probably be Marvin.

Same.

Both for the amazing music and the social commentary aspect. The complete package.

fingerbang
    Free Member

off the top of my head:

Physical Graffiti
    Fun House
    Station to Station
    London Calling
    Inspiration Information (Shuggie Otis)
    Maggot Brain – Funkadelic

All a bit ‘classic rock’ but whatevs

EDIT: yeah forgot Stevie Wonder – I’m an ‘innervisions’ man, out of his classic period

vinnyeh

Don’t want to clutter up what’s supposed to be a thread of one line posts with discussion, but was thinking about the changes in music between 1970 and 1980, and did a search for best albums of 1970. Picked one of the first results, and the list was jaw dropping.

Don’t know what Paste magazine is, but to someone of my age that’s an amazing set of 25 albums from one year.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/best-albums/best-albums-of-1970/

Going to look at 1980 now.

cheese@4p

I just remembered Rock N Roll by JR and the Modern Lovers. How could I have forgotten that one!
    Shuggie Otis is a very good call too

woody2000

Rush 2112

metalheart
    Free Member

God, forgot about The Modern Lovers too.

And Big Star Third…

And I’m another that push come to shove would probably go for What’s Going On as being the greatest.

@vinnyeh
    that’s what I was getting at, pretty sure you could do exactly the same for every other year in the 70’s…

Moe

“Physical Graffiti better than IV”
    Agreed!

….. but I’d have to say Live & Dangerous, Thin Lizzy.

NJA

Setting Sons – The Jam.

cheese@4p

Big Star Third, yes indeed.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Blood on the tracks – Bob Dylan

gauss1777
    Free Member

Sun Ra – Lanquidity (anybody else like Ra?)

Oh yes, don’t know Lanquidity mind you. ‘Space is the place’, is great and from the 70’s

snooze
    Free Member

+ 1 for “What’s Goin’ On” by Marvin Gaye. More specifically the Detroit Mix on The 25th anniversary reissue, which is rawer and less polished. Apparently this was Marvin Gaye’s original production before Motown decided to improve it in post production……

tjagain

Whats going on
    IIRC I heard that he had been challenged to be more political and this was the result.

ton

Ziggy Stardust album.
    The Specials album.
    all The Jam 70’s albums.

cakefacesmallblock

Thin Lizzy- Live n Dangerous
    Stiff Little Fingers- Inflammable Material
    Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

At last TUBULAR BELLS!

snooze
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, this is worth a watch

https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2021/04/apple-tv-announces-new-music-docuseries-1971-the-year-that-music-changed-everything/

It’s loosely based on the book with the same title

nickc

there’s no point in me pissing on their chips, however irritating and overrated I find them.

Likewise (as @tjagain eludes to) if the average Joe hasn’t heard it, it’s unlikely to be, in fact; The Greatest Album.

jimster01

I prefer Wish You Were Here over Dark Side, a couple of tracks could easily disappear of Dark Side making it a better album.

As for Tales From Topographic Oceans, starts well, ends well, just loses direction on sides two and three.

IMHO of course.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Did you not like Sound Affects @ton?Pretty good in my book.

redmex
    Free Member

I was going to mention Tubular Bells but beaten to the line, Aladdin Same for the piano playing or Ziggy/Hunky Dory and then there has to be Harvest Neil Young maybe Jailbreak or even SAHB Next
    I could think of loads

chriscubed

I’m music child of late 80s and 90s, but I can think of more ‘greatest’ albums from the 70s.

The answer is probably something from led zep, or the clash, or queen or…it’s too hard

oldenough
    Free Member

I wouldn’t claim it’s the greatest album of the seventies, that’ll probably go to Rumours or something by pink floyd purely based on general appeal. But I’ll nominate….

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic, if only for Eddie Hazel’s guitar work on the title track, truly astonishing 😲😲

fruitbat

The Bonzo Dog Band – Let’s Make Up and Be Friendly 😂

redmex
    Free Member

Not an album but just played Child in Time 10 mins of Deep Purple and just realised how good it was from back then. Lots of organ on the go

mogrim

Playing Rumours today in honour of Christine McVie, who died yesterday.

slowoldman

The Bonzo Dog Band – Let’s Make Up and Be Friendly

Ah yes, The Strain and Bad Blood. Excellent.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.