• This topic has 19 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by lowey.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The Great Slab. Bowfell.
  • mrchrist

Anyone ridden it? What route did you use? Worth the effort?

Thinking maybe come at is from Wasdale and Sty Head. Would you need to drop into Langdale or could you head west inthe direction of Eskdale?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ooh….

PXL_20220319_135606590~2-1

PXL_20220319_135647248~2
    PXL_20220319_135544721~2

PXL_20220319_135606590~2-1

Anyone ridden it?

Down yes. Up nearly. It was slightly damp at the bottom and so I couldn’t start on the bit I wanted to. Each time I went perpendicular to the slope I could feel the front wheel lifting. Utterly terrifying. 🙂

What route did you use?

Borrowdale, Stake Pass, shortcut across the bog to Angle Tarn, Ore Gap, Bowfell, Slab, Bowfell! Esk Pike, Esk Hause, Styhead, Stockley Bridge

https://strava.app.link/pBnSZeAd7ub

Worth the effort?

Depends what you’re after. I enjoyed it and think the photos are utterly brilliant. The descent from Esk Hause is of course also utterly brilliant but there’s also a lot of HaB in between.

Thinking maybe come at is from Wasdale and Sty Head. Would you need to drop into Langdale or could you head west inthe direction of Eskdale?

Wasdale is a huge drive for most people. The descent to Borrowdale is amazing. On the Wainwright’s thread someone said that The Band *does* go. That’s by far the shortest route….. up Rossett then down the Band.

( I didn’t get any responses about the Band on my thread)

2 Questions:

When we going? 😉
    I’m keen to go back when it’s dry and see if I can do the start bit.

PS, be careful. The bit I did ends in a mass of boulders and scree which it’s hard to stop before. The bit further out ends in a vertical cliff, which could seriously affect your day.

mrchrist

YES! That looks amazing, thanks for sharing.

Borrowdale, Stake Pass, shortcut across the bog to Angle Tarn, Ore Gap, Bowfell, Slab, Bowfell! Esk Pike, Esk Hause, Styhead, Stockley Bridge

SO a loop with a little extension/out and back to do the slab?

The route looks amazing I bloody love the sty head descent once you get past the boring flat section at the top.

Keen to do Esk Hause too!

When we going? 😉

Spring/summer 2023?

mrchrist

The band looks ok:

Footpath ascending The Band

Footpath on The Band

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3787474 – this bit looks fun

Looking down The Band towards Great Langdale

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hooray. Let’s go up Bowfell and then get The Band back, together!

mrchrist

Sounds perfect!

justinbieber

Yes, mucked about on it last year or something: https://www.instagram.com/p/COCnDt9B1xY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

went up rossett ghyll from langdale, angle tarn, bowfell, then down the band. Didn’t try to ride up the slab, just rode down it.

the band is ace btw

martinhutch

Cool picture. I’ve heard that the farmer at the foot of The Band is not appreciative of people riding it, and it goes straight through his yard.

devash
    Free Member

Didn’t realise that you could ride down The Band? Always thought it’d make an amazing MTB descent the times I’ve walked up / down it.

mrchrist

Ah yes @justinbieber it is those very post on insta that have inspired me to go and ride it.

Up Rosset Ghyll you say… I am not doing that again. Ever.

Good news on the band thoug and will avoid the farmer. Somehow.

justinbieber

Re. The band, just turn left well before you get to the farm.

santascurse
    Free Member

Hey. Just found this.
    Does anyone know anything about the numerous ways down from the pike o stickle.

Heading g up bow this weekend and likely to come down band but seeing if anyone has alternative?

justinbieber

Looking at the forecast I’d say you’d be mad or stupid to head anywhere up high in the lakes this weekend. Weather looks atrocious

santascurse
    Free Member

Weather was cracking today, happen a little high wconsidering the overnight snow so did maiden Moor and causey instead. Top day

boxelder

Does anyone know anything about the numerous ways down from the pike o stickle.

Heading g up bow this weekend and likely to come down band but seeing if anyone has alternative?

There’s a lot of riding/pushing between Bow Fell and Pike O’ Stickle – it’s the other side of the valley from The Band.

santascurse
    Free Member

BLISCO I meant.

boxelder

Argh, in that case, the path from Crinkle past Great Knott and sort of south of Bliss past Red Tarn to Three Shires Stone is OK. Not sure it’s worth the push over Crinkle though……

lowey

The descent from Blisco down to the little Landgdale road is just a long pitched staircase.

View post on imgur.com

santascurse
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Doesn’t sound worthy of going further over.
    Sorry to hijack the thread but whilst we’re in the same area, couple if weeks ago did Lingmoor in (terrible weather) decent down to blea tarn house was pretty good. I looked as though you could get across to side pike?
    Does anyone know if its much to ride upthere? I’m aware there’s a step down section but the bottom of the path looks ok. ???
    TIA

lowey

I’ve pushed the bike up from Side pike to Lingmoor summit and seem to remember thinking that it wouldnt be much fun as a descent. It was a bloody awful push up anyway.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.