Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • The great debate – 150-160mm Bikes
  • Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

I know, I know asked several billion times a week BUT im gonna ask again anyway 😉

So am looking to build a new do it all bike, I want something I can use at UK Trail Centres (Afan, Coed-y-Brenin, etc.) with the odd potential DH runs like Cwmcarn etc

Also something that can handle my trip to Les Arcs this summer…

Have been looking, reading, looking and reading some more and I thought i’d ask some opinions.

I dont want to spend £4.5K on a bike or £2.5K on a frame as its plain madness when full bikes come up about half of what they cost new within 9-12 months.

However, I have seen a few frame deals lately.

Nukeproof Mega – Thoughts? (Frame £800)
    Has Rock Shox Monarch RT3 rear shock – These any good?
    http://www.globalbike.co.uk/products/Nukeproof-Mega-AM-Frame-%252d-RockShox-Monarch-RT3-2011.html?gclid=CKbJ3MP8rq4CFRR8fAodVDOwPw

Titus El Guapo – Thoughts? (Frame £800) I hear low BB can be an issue with pedal strikes?
    Also has Rock Shox Monarch RT3.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV2/titus_el_guapo_frame_and_monarch_shock

Cube Fritzz seems a good deal for the money? But not heard great things..Im sure a better bike would come up cheaper 2nd hand?
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Fritzz-SL-Mountain-Bike-2012-Full-Suspension-MTB_49437.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

What else in the 160 All mountain range should I consider, would be looking for 2nd hand mainly. (Most likey Frame and then my own build).

Spicy?
    Covert?
    Nomad?
    Alpine?

Anyone have any strong arguments for or against any of these? Any owners give me honest opinions? Maybe your mate has one you’ve ridden?

Let me know :mrgreen:

Im just asking peoples opinions before someone says go and demo them…
    Ultimately I WILL demo when i can drive my shortlist down to 3-4 bikes.

The only one i have demo’d is the Covert – Which was VERY good but the build I want is the best part of £5K new?! And they dont come up to often 2nd hand!

Cheers

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Depending on your height someone was selling a barely-used complete Specialized 2011 Enduro Comp in Med on here for £1k recently – came with RP2/Lyrik Solo Air, but seems to me you could sell off what you didn’t like and end up with the frame for only a few hundred…

wrecker
    Free Member

You’ll do a lot worse than an enduro. I’d bide my time; coverts do come up and they’re normally pretty reasonable. I really like the covert (and the intense tracer/T2).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dafoxster
    Free Member

I was trying to make the same decision as you recently and I ended up with a Covert. And to be honest it ticks all the boxes for me. I’ve been to Afan and Aston Hill so far and it’s handled everything thrown at it. At Aston Hill I was going down the DH tracks and the bike was great, even if the rider was lacking skill and sliding out all over the place!

I didn’t want to spend too much but got a frame for £1000 from 2011. There are a few deals around. I think a large is available from Bikechase and there’s a second hand one on ebay at the moment in Large.

I almost went with the El Guapo but the Covert just pipped it. I also tried a Whyte 146 and an Stumpy Evo. The Whyte was fantastic but I wanted frame only and wasn’t too keen on getting Carbon. The Stumpjumper EVO was good as well and quietly got on with the job but just didn’t have the playful spark I wanted.

MarkyG82

From what I’ve read on here and in mags (bias?) many people opt for coil shocks for the alps and depending on the shock they have, keep it on the bike back here. Obviously there are weight penalties for this route.

Ps. I am no help 😉

porter_jamie

your 800 quid frame is only half the picture, you are going to need to spend about the same or more again on some forks worthy of the frame. 36 fox or lyriks are knocking on the door of 900 quid now.

messiah
    Free Member

I heard a well founded rumour that Richard at Gravity Sports in Buckie has a couple of Nicolai FR and AM frames he is selling, he also nearly always has forks and other bits. Well worth a phone call.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ll do the usual and big-up my own bike…

I was in a similar position a few months ago and went with the El Guapo. Yes the slightly low BB does cause a few pedal strikes, but the benefit of this is fantastic, planted cornering. You soon learn to adjust your riding to account for the BB. Not that it was a major issue anyway. It built up to exactly 31 lb with 36 Talas RC2s, Halo 4XR wheelset and SLX brakes / drivetrain. For a 160mm bike it climbs superbly, really firm pedalling, and it’s not too heavy. Descending it is far more capable than me, and soaks up all the drops and jumps I attempt and if only I was good enough to fully exploit the handling

I love it, but I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with any on the bikes you’ve listed to be fair

chay
    Free Member

I would recommend the mega. Got one set up with 160 lyrics, climbs amazing, descends superb!

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

your 800 quid frame is only half the picture, you are going to need to spend about the same or more again on some forks worthy of the frame. 36 fox or lyriks are knocking on the door of 900 quid now.

Totally! Which is a) why i dont wanna go stupid on the frame any buy a Carbon Nomad and b) Why I think keeping my eye on second hand full bikes is the best bet. (well most sensible financially anyway)

Talas 36’s for me i think – Again will try to get some decent 2nd hand ones – Then factor in a mojo service to still make a decent saving on getting them new

peachos
    Free Member

Mega and some of these Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti for £405. both great bits of kit (they’re bound to be, I have them!) and will do everything you want them to do. i built my full bike for around £1800. the shock is OK, but i’m considering getting a coil for it as it is what i’m used to and prefer the feel.

edit: when i was buying last summer i narrowed my choices down to the Mega / Covert / Mythic Rune. they’re all very similar bikes and the covert was the favourite but the Mega won hands down on price and it has actually got a few better features such as the 44 headtube (which allows all fork steerer standards to be used) and bolt-through rear axle (covert might have this for 2012). also availability of spares on CRC is great!

Konastoner
    Free Member

This is my choice: –

TCahnges form the photo are: –

New 170mm Lyrik Coils RC2DH,
    DHX5 Ti rear,
    Chain device,
    750mm Bars
    A true do it all, it’s suprisingly light too. Everything (apart form the new Lyriks) is 2nd hand (Mostly bought off here), total build cost was under £1000 over 3 years ago and have mainly swapped out parts at no extra cost.

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t own a Covert but I have ridden one and liked it quite a lot.
    I would not get Talas forks again personally. I have 36 Floats now and just got used to climbing on them and benefit from nicer feeling, more reliable forks but I’m no expert; just my experience.
    For the record, I have a 2011 5 spot built strong and it does everything you have specified better than I do but the covert is definitely more active just not so good at climbing.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Heckler? Cheap, well tried and tested and robust? I had a MK1 Nomad, most disappointing bike I’ve owned. Climbed like a dog in granny as it compressed the bottom link shortening the effective chainstay length. Now have an alpine 160 which is brilliant (see recent Kerala thread in my history). I nearly got a heckler but at last minute found an alpine with ccdb at too good a price to miss.

Konastoner
    Free Member

If your looking for forks, it’ll be difficult to get a better bargain than these: –

Lyrik Coil

But I went for the RC2DH instead :).

ryanw
    Free Member

Mondraker Dune R/RR?

chay
    Free Member

This is my do it all toy.

chay
    Free Member

P1040183

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

chay – pretty tidy that!!

Konastoner
    Free Member

Gooner Dom,

This may solve a few issues, depending on what size you need: – Cube Fritzz

iDave
    Free Member

has there ever been a ‘great debate’ about 10mm of travel?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Firstly I would look at what you want from a bike. By which I mean angles, lengths, heights, weight etc.

From that, then start trying to match up bikes to what you feel you like.

Of your list, they are themain suspects, probably include the Enduro on that list myself. If looking at Nomad’s, I would discount the Mk1, for reasons mentioned above, the Mk2 is a much better bike.

To spec a Covert up to mnearly £5k must have been a pretty blingy build. I would personally be looking at building second hand, and keeping an eye out for deals. If I built my Nomad C with all brand spanking new parts, I doubt I would have seen much change from £7k – but having the money sat there waiting to pounce on a steal it cost me less than the price of a new frame.

Personally, the Covert I rode gave me a bit of a ‘meh’ feeling, just a forgetful bike. That being said, some people love them.

ianv
    Free Member

Building a bike up will cost more than you think even with a decent second hand frame and a discounted fork. It would probably work out cheaper to get an off the shelf bike like a YT, canyon or an enduro evo (You can get the evo for just over 2k if you buy on the continent).

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

the covert was the favourite but the Mega won hands down on price and it has actually got a few better features such as the 44 headtube (which allows all fork steerer standards to be used) and bolt-through rear axle (covert might have this for 2012).

YES, covert does have 12 x 142 rear end for 2012. and has the RP23 Kashima – These are £1385.00 which is still a good price BUT the Mega is 585 less! Thats a set of Forks! I have ways to acquire Marzocchi at cost so 55 Ti’s 🙂 ummmm

chay
    Free Member

Gooner is goes like stink, so much fun to ride!

M6TTF
    Free Member

yt industries….

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

iDave

has there ever been a ‘great debate’ about 10mm of travel?

Its not between 150 and 160 more about 150mm or 160mm bikes fullstop 😉 as in which ones?!

peachos
    Free Member

if you can get zocchi at cost then surely there isn’t much debate about the fork…

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

ianv

trust me i know i have built plenty!

If i wanted I could go and spend £7000 (i actually could too) on a bike but i just really dont see the point I could but 3 very good bikes for that price hence i dont see point is blowing 5/6/7K on a bike!

I think a fairly decent built with 2nd hand deals or big discounts on new bits could see me easily build up a top end one for £2500 probably less.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think a fairly decent built with 2nd hand deals or big discounts on new bits could see me easily build up a top end one for £2500 probably less.

Exactly my point. I’ve reached the limit of what I can do in building near on as high a spec bike as I possibly could for your suggested cost. It can be done, you just have to sometimes wait it out for a few bits to show up at the right price 🙂

steezysix
    Free Member

yt industries….

Second that! I got a Wicked 150 – worked out at £1450 delivered and it’s great. They’re doing a 160mm version too this year, and the Noton got a great review in Dirt if you’re after something beefier.

jonke
    Free Member

My mate picked up a spicy 516 for less than 1900 from here http://www.skiperfo.com/boutique/index.cfm

ianv
    Free Member

If i wanted I could go and spend £7000 (i actually could too) on a bike but i just really dont see the point I could but 3 very good bikes for that price hence i dont see point is blowing 5/6/7K on a bike!

We are in agreement on this. What I meant was, buying a yt or something is the most cost effective way of getting a bike and would probably work out cheaper than an own build.

messiah
    Free Member

Even if you get your Marzocchi forks at trade I’d surprised if they are cheaper than the 2010/2011 ones CRC have been knocking out recently. I paid £350 for these which are now on my Nicolai (and better than the Floats they replaced, and only 270g heavier).

FWIW – I built up my Nicolai from mostly second hand parts… and then I’ve upgraded and played with the spec over the next two years to get it where it is now. It’s a good way to do it as you can chop and change parts for little increase in cost.

… and part of the fun is changing things :mrgreen:

chrismac

Iwent for the last of the proper trek remedy’s was £900 full bike with xt kit and fox 36’s second hand. So far it has done coedy, cuwmcarn dh, afan and some dark peak rides. Fantastic bike that I’m taking to the alps in the summer

hexhamstu
    Free Member

built up second hand (apart from drive train and brakes which are SLX from rose bikes) for approximately £1400.

It’s reet nice to ride, I like the 140/160mm mix and the adjustable forks make it an effortless climber.

skywalker
    Free Member

You don’t need a 160mm bike to ride trail centres, it will make it soooo boring. Fair enough you are going to the alps, but thats once.

If I were you I would seriously look at your local riding (the rides you do the most) and buy a bike to suit that. A Zesty, Five, BLT2, or Bandit will handle anything the UK has to throw at them and you won’t be over biked (which seriously takes the fun out of it)

You can always hire a bike for the Alps.

rhysw
    Free Member

soobalias
    Free Member

any of the new frames come with a proper 1.5″ headtube rather than the tapered ones?

street
    Free Member

Pitch Pro? 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘The great debate – 150-160mm Bikes’ is closed to new replies.