Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • The Great British intelligence test
  • Kryton57

How will you do?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50896542

Turns out I’m great at communications, logic and memory but rubbish at emotions, reasoning and empathy none of which is a surprise to me:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i8n6xf]20200101_142707[/url]

imnotverygood

Perhaps not best to do it with a hangover.
    Worst at spatial intelligence, but I didn’t read the intro so it took me time to realise the blocks fall down under gravity. Attention was bad, but by that time my eyes were going a bit.
    Surprised I wasn’t better at planning. Working memory is my strongest bit.

chewkw
    Free Member

my head hurts …

derek_starship
    Free Member

Quite chuffed to be in the top 10% of the population in verbal comprehension.

Bottom 50% for spatial awareness. DONK ouch my head…

MSP

The emotions section was bollocks, no genuine emotion was displayed in any picture. They got the worst acting class available, asked them to display a range of emotions, but the only emotion they had learnt so far was “confused and constipated”

bikebouy
    Free Member

Didn’t we have one of these in June 2016, and most failed?

Klunk
    Free Member
    bensales
    Free Member

Verbal reasoning and verbal comprehension are not tests of intelligence, they’re tests of education. So I’m not really convinced of the accuracy of it.

ajantom

Probably shouldn’t have done that after a bottle of red and 3 glasses of port.
    Hic.
    I is stoopid 😋

kerley
    Free Member

It was okay. Sometimes need the grounding that I am not in the top 10% of everything and I did indeed get as low as top 40% for 2 of the areas one of which was remembering the strings of numbers which was surprising as I am good at remembering numbers generally but clearly not as good as I think!.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Great British Intelligence Test
    Great British Bake Off
    Great British Sewing Bee
    Great British Car Journeys
    Great British Menu
    Great British …..etc

and by implication F##k Northern Ireland

Why on earth does an intelligence test have to be “Great British”?

This is dark stuff from the media – erasing the validity of “Welsh”, “Scottish” and daresay “English” identities – into none too subtle attempts at statebuilding a “Great British” identity.

chevychase

Your tin foil hat slipped off @gwaelod

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Probably shouldn’t have done that after a bottle of red and 3 glasses of port.
    Hic.
    I is stoopid 😋

Same here 🙂

Drac

This is dark stuff from the media – erasing the validity of “Welsh”, “Scottish” and daresay “English” identities – into none too subtle attempts at statebuilding a “Great British” identity.

Someone has had one too many drams.

jimdubleyou

Not bad, got a top 5% in 2d manipulations and a few top 10% / 20%.

Middle of the road in a couple of others, bottom 50% for emotional discrimination – no surprise there…

DezB
    Free Member

That was good! The questions at the end are the same as they ask when you go for CBT/Counselling… hmm.

MSP

Block User
    The emotions section was bollocks, no genuine emotion was displayed in any picture.

Yeah, cos you obviously know better how to set these tests than Dr Adam Hampshire 😆 It was perfectly obvious to me what emotion was being conveyed. They could’ve been hand drawn and the test would be the same.

DezB
    Free Member

Just spotted the link on the results page – https://hb5.cognitron.co.uk/ex/task/q_rs_BFIextended
    Personality test. Could be interesting..

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, if you couldn’t see the emotions that is because you are not very good at seeing them – the point of the test!

MSP

Yep, if you couldn’t see the emotions that is because you are not very good at seeing them – the point of the test!

or maybe because some can differentiate between genuine emotion and fake facial ticks. I actually did well at that section, but it was just another pattern matching test and had **** all to do with recognising emotions. Recognising emotions on peoples faces is far more subtle than what those “actors” portrayed. If you think that is how emotions are expressed then you are an absolute disaster at relating to anyone else and people around you have to overact every feeling they have just in the hope you might notice.

DezB
    Free Member

Recognising emotions on peoples faces is far more subtle than what those “actors” portrayed.

And how, oh wise one, would you test those subtleties on a computer screen?

kerley
    Free Member

If you think that is how emotions are expressed then you are an absolute disaster at relating to anyone else and people around you have to overact every feeling they have just in the hope you might notice.

As it happens I am a disaster at relating to others and having aspergers definitely doesn’t help with that!

Drac

You all realise that this test is just a bit of fun?

edd

Bottom 20% for Emotional Discrimination
    Top 5% for Spatial Working Memory

Generally weaker on the verbal ones, and stronger on the spatial ones. Probably about right.

leffeboy

interesting.  I did ok on most but a big hole in emotional discrimination as well.  Now that could be accurate but it’s the first time it’s showed up quite so obviously in any test

MSP

And how, oh wise one, would you test those subtleties on a computer screen?

Not everything can be tested by a picture on a computer screen, that’s why that section is bollocks. Human emotion and relations are far more complex than a badly acted exaggerated facial expression. Trying to boil everything down to such a simplistic level just does not work.

Sometimes people just need to be more accepting of complexity.

DezB
    Free Member

^^ try hard 😆

funkmasterp

I got bored and stopped doing it when I got to the remember where the squares were bit. That says a lot about my attention span.

DezB
    Free Member

^^ not try hard enough 😀

LadyGresley
    Free Member

That was interesting.  I got almost zero on that first question, I really didn’t see what was happening!

I’m more than happy with being in the top 5% for verbal comprehension and mental rotation.  I found the target detection hard to do on a laptop with a slightly dodgy touchpad – I couldn’t get the cursor to the shape in time on a few of them!  If I’d been using a touchscreen I reckon I’d have got all of those.  They didn’t account for equipment used in that.

alpin
    Free Member

Why on earth does an intelligence test have to be “Great British”?

Jingoism

alpin
    Free Member

Blocks, bottom 50%
    ToL, top 10%
    Digit span, bottom 50%
    Spatial span, top 20%
    Verbal analogies, top 20%
    Target detection, top 10%
    Facial recognition, bottom 50% (fewer than 30 correct!)
    Word def. top 10%
    2D manip. top 5%…..!

So a mediocre genius….

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I did the extended test, apparently I am completely neurotic…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Frankly, the first day back after Xmas isn’t a great time to do, well anything, but it’s a wonder I’ve lived this long with results so poor, really I should have died the moment I was allow to use grown up cutlery unattended.

As for the personality test, I’ll take the “high functioning” part.

martinhutch

Bollocks to that. Starting arguing with it during the ‘Small is to Slight as..’ round. Couple of the ones I got wrong were a tad dodgy.

The squares sequence had already put me in a bad mood.

maxtorque

Proves that i am indeed far to clever for my own good……..

😉

sirromj

Started it twice. First time on the blocks I was confused but only got a couple wrong, then had to stop for dinner. Second time again on the blocks knew how it worked but got loads wrong then 3 year old son interrupted me to play cars.
    Predicted result: slightly above average

slowoldman

Worst at spatial intelligence, but I didn’t read the intro so it took me time to realise the blocks fall down under gravity.

That caught me out too, normally I’ve been pretty good on spatial awareness tests but I tripped up badly on this one. Reminds me of exams at school – “read the questions carefully”.

jimmy

I got bored and stopped doing it when I got to remember where the squares were bit. That says a lot about my attention span.

Ha, me too. Stuck at it. Put myself at top 30% and came out about that on average. Messed up a few verbals annoyingly and did well at spatial intelligence. Interesting stuff.

funkmasterp

Well tried again and as I guessed I’m a barely functioning idiot. The faces one threw me as some of them didn’t look real or seemed to have been lifted from an episode of Crime Stoppers.Taking part on a phone and not reading the instructions also resulted in pressing the wrong thing a couple of times. Got distracted by the kids too!

Spacial Intelligence – Top 50%
    Planning – Bottom 50%
    Verbal Working Memory – Top 10%
    Spacial Working Memory – Bottom 50%
    Verbal Reasoning – Top 50%
    Target Detection – Top 20%
    Emotional Discrimination – Bottom 50%
    Verbal Comprehension – Top 20%
    Mental Rotation – Top 10%

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

My test kept crapping out. I got a zero rating for blocks. Although I got all of them what were presented right.

Spacial Intelligence – Bottom 50%
    Planning – Top 20%
    Verbal Working Memory – Top 30%
    Spacial Working Memory – Top 20%
    Verbal Reasoning – Top 20%
    Target Detection – Top 20%
    Emotional Discrimination – Bottom 50%
    Verbal Comprehension – Top 10%
    Mental Rotation – Top 5%

I like that even though I scored zero in the blocks test, it still only says “bottom 50%”. Yes, you did badly, and no, we are not telling you how badly, just in case you are upset. Are we all such precious little snowflakes we can’t handle the truth?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘The Great British intelligence test’ is closed to new replies.