Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The government crapped billions into banks so why can’t they?….
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Give a million to this?

15 years of hard work to get to where it is now, it would be a shame for it to end up in the corner of a hanger doing nothing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Because they’re not Scottish bankers? I believe that’s where all the money goes.

Filthy
    Free Member

Shame but I dont see why tax payers money should be wasted on it

project
    Free Member

Because its a weapon of mass destruction and should be seen as such, should be recycled into fridges for the third world.

Also 15 years of a waste of time, and effort, get a proper job.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Celebrity support
    A letter from high-profile supporters, including Sir Richard Branson, appeared in a national newspaper last week calling for the government to intervene.
    The open letter, also signed by Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, author Frederick Forsyth and Air Chief Marshal Sir Michael Knight, demanded the Vulcan be given a place on the RAF’s memorial flight.
    Vulcan XH558 was restored at Bruntingthorpe aerodrome with more than £2m from the Heritage Lottery Fund and £5m in other donations.
    The aircraft, which used to be based at RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire, took part in several displays last summer in front of an estimated 1.5m people.
    But the costs of simply keeping the aircraft in flying condition, about £80,000 a month, have not been met because corporate sponsorship has been falling.

Spensive hobby, for enthusiasts. Don’t see as how keeping one flying is in the interests of National culture or history. S’already had loads of money spent on it. Stick it in a museum, or get some of they rich buggers to fund it, if they care so much about it!

Sorry, but how many thousands of other ‘worthy causes’ are there? Keeping an old ‘plane flying isn’t exactly top priority for this country atm.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

But the costs of simply keeping the aircraft in flying condition, about £80,000 a month

What a waste of money.

hora
    Free Member

Almost a million a year to keep it in flying condition? Sorry. No. Its In tip top viewing shape. I’m sure it can be reawakened at a later date when we are all flush again. I know people will reel off the massive costs of keeping a squadron of Harriers going for a month but the Vulcan is a museum piece compared.

aracer
    Free Member

I suggest they work out which MP’s likely to pop their clogs next (preferably a Scottish one) and move their entire workforce to the constituency. Guaranteed government funding that way.

nickc

it would be a shame for it to end up in the corner of a hanger doing nothing.

It’s where every other Vulcan ended up

grumm
    Free Member

That’s probably the least worthwhile cause I can think of.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

ah well. I’ll tell them I’ll have it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

any old iron ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve got a austin metro from the same era, requires about £800 to get it back on the road. Should they also fun that? 😉

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Loan it to Duxford, im sure they will gladly exhibit a mint condition one for a few years while the owners raise the funds.

Lanesra
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

How do you propose to pay back the money? What profit shareing will the government get.

The invested money in the bank as loans and shares. They get the money back plus interest also profits from share values going up over 5-10 years

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think once we get down to this level there really is no cause too trivial.

noteeth
    Free Member

CFH was looking for a “city runaround” quite recently, iirc.

Besides, a Vulcan is considerably more stylish than a s/s road bike – the hated fixie riders could then be “owned with bomber.”

aracer
    Free Member

also profits from share values going up over 5-10 years

Remind me how much profit they’ve made on Lloyds/HBOS share values going up after they threw £11bn at them.

BigDummy
    Free Member

And your investment horizon is what, 20 minutes?

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PMSL @ noteeth!

aracer
    Free Member

Why, do you reckon 5 years will be long enough to turn a profit on those?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘The government crapped billions into banks so why can’t they?….’ is closed to new replies.