• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by SOAP.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • THE GOLFIE
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Talk to me people as this is our first time in the area.
    The better half and I are staying in Innerleithen for 5 days over Easter so can you educate us on what and where to ride, eat and drink.
    Any gpx routes would be greatly appreciated
    TIA

simondbarnes

I think Geex is the one to ask. Not seen him around here for ages though 🙁

matt_outandabout

Quit shouting.

And ‘The’?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Trailforks app is what you need.

SOAP
    Free Member

matt_outandabout is that all you got? #grammarpolice

SOAP
    Free Member

shortbread_fanylion trails for days

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Loulabelles for breakfast. Trails wise, Yair is fun. Current Golfie favourites are Big Baw, Waterworld and NY NY. Feed the Pony (or even just the lower half) takes you to Walkerburn allowing you to link to Inners.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We did it 18 months ago. Bone dry, warm weekend – one of the best days riding I think I’ve ever had. Used Trailforks but definitely did Feed The Pony (all of it), Waterworld, Repeat Offender, Community Service, Flat White and either Spanner or Liver Damage… Epic.

fruitbat

Food at The Traquair Arms Hotel is good – Here

Northwind

I’d always say Community Service, it’s not that long but it’s lovely. Flat White is great but over a little fast, I prefer the slower techier ones. 3G or Repeat Offender for a longer run, Boner or Jawbone and Walk or Burn for a bit more tech. That’s not a list of the best trails or anything, it’s just a good hitlist for a first visit- all easy to find and get to.

I haven’t ridden there for a while and it’s been a pretty wet winter so I don’t know how the trails are holding up right now though.

moonsaballoon

we were there last week and it was riding great but it has been a bit wet this week , we did new york new york , big baw , community service , flat white and the bottom part of repeat offender .

The one bit of advice i would give is dont be tempted to keep heading all the way to the bottom each time , come down a bit go up a bit , go down a bit further then go back up but not all the way and come down one of the mid level trails etc etc . Its a brilliant place to ride its just if you dont  structure your route carefully it can feel like you have spent the whole time riding up that fire road .

singlespeedstu

Not seen him around here for ages though

Think he still looks in to see whats going on as he sent my a text with some advice to a question I asked on here last week.
    Back on topic.
    Trailforks is excellent for finding the trails and most people you bump into are generally quite helpful pointing you in the right direction.
    Oh and another vote for Yair being worth checking out.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’m down there at least 2 to 3 times a month. Im pretty mediocre compared to some of the guys I see . That said its without doubt one of the best places to ride anywhere in my opinion . Totally different from the traquair downhill side but as has been said easy to link the pair by doing feed the pony which normally follows a spin down waterworld or Boner.
    At the reservoir (its not a reservoir)you can turn left and head up the hill for 3g , repeat offender , new york newyork then at the highest point loan wolf. There are others including a couple that are beyong my skill level Avalanche and No spleen. Turn right then left for Big Baw , Jawbone plus another couple which will drop you onto the fire road. The fire road heading back towards the reservoir climb is a brute but also has a couple of lesser ridden trails taking you back to he very bottom .
    This is really only scratching the surface as there are probably nearly a dozen more I havent mentioned . If you have 5 days also check Yair , Thornielee and cademuir on the south side of Peebles. Also bear in mind Glentress has a couple of new enduro style trails which you wont have ridden previously.
    If you head for feed the pony make sure and do it from the top which is a horrendous 20 minutes push but worth it. It also drops you at the caberston cafe though I think it may just be open at the weekends.
    I’d agree with not riding to the very bottom but just looping the trails from the top . Also dont be put off if its really wet as its normally better like that.

gavstorie
    Free Member

5 days..

Golfie for a day
    Uplift at inners for a day
    Far end of Yair for a day.
    Off piste at GT for a day..

Then choose what you want to repeat for your last day 🙂

Garry_Lager

The Golfie is miles harder than stuff I usually ride in the Peak, so I really like Repeat offender – Not too difficult and classic top to bottom trail to get your eye in. Then go from there.

As said though you need to get on trailforks and at least make an outline plan, or the climbing will waste you. It’s basically uplift riding, except you’re doing the uplift – so recommend taking it steady and not trying to do too much in a day. Easy to pick out 7 or 8 trails that sound awesome, but it might need big legs to take them on in a day.

chickenman

Of the big routes, Feed the Pony and NY, NY are the easiest, then Repeat Offender and New Wolf. 3G is slightly harder. Boner and Spanner are best left for when it’s drier IMO.

chakaping
    Free Member

Big Baw is also one of the easier trails, much shallower gradient than most of the trails and more built/rocky. Seems to last ages.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It’s all relative, big baw is easier in some ways but there’s some big pointy rocks waiting for you if you get it wrong, especially near the end where you might be blawing a bit. Guid fun though.

stanfree
    Free Member

Rode Big Baw again last sunday and was broken by the end , Its an immense trail but like me if you cant ride it fast its tiring. So well built though , the trail builders have done an amazing job and I cant think of a mediocre trail on the hill at all. I cant see the proposed bike park ever happening at the Golfie and to be honest dont really want it too.
    Heading back tomorrow to ride the new trail along from Big Baw and with over 100 trails between Cademuir and Yair cant think of anywhere better to ride in the uk.

SirHC

No1 Peebles road 👌

Glentress has more rock in the surface, so drains better.

Yair forest is worth a visit, quarry descent down from the three brethren and forbidden fruit.

Innerleithen isnt the most pleasant of climbs, jump on the uplift for a day. Trails are quicker and more DH oriented than the golfie.

So much choice on the golfie, bear in mind that that the trails near and including ny NY don’t drain as well as the other trails on the hill, they feel like them have more clay and less grit in the surface?
    Feed the pony is worth the ride/push to the top and the cafe at the bottom after you drop through the pony field is good. You can pedal along the river path back into inners (if it isn’t flooded!)

SOAP
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips.
    We are staying in the Yair so will get on trailforks when we arrive.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rode Big Baw again last sunday and was broken by the end , Its an immense trail but like me if you cant ride it fast its tiring. So well built though

Only rode it the once, was on a 170mm 29er so it wasn’t uncomfortable. Very constructed trail, reminded me of Coed y Brenin a bit, but more enduro obvs.

We could only just keep up with the lad on a Curtis hardtail in front of us.

gavstorie
    Free Member

Re: Trailforks..

Difficulty Rating.
    To aid new visitors to the area, we are trialling a difficulty indicator. The trails name is followed by a value from 1-5. This will help give you an indication of how difficult the trail is compared to other trails on the hill. Due to the limitations of the current grading system, there is currently no way of knowing the difference in level between the various black grade trails. This will hopefully go a little way to sort that out. (1) is least technical, (5) is most technical.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/caberston/trails/

Whilst not an exact scientific rating. It gives you a general idea of what you are getting into.

SOAP
    Free Member

Nice one gavstorie! That’s really useful information.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘THE GOLFIE’ is closed to new replies.