Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The Genius of Steve Bell
  • binners

He’s been celebrated this week for 30 years in the business. Here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/may/25/steve-bell-my-lifes-work

IMHO opinion he’s the best in the business by a country mile. But even by his high standards, today’s comment on the G8 is a corker

Check out Burlesconi at the back 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There was a good article in G2 earlier this week with some of his subjects talking about their favourite cartoons of themselves. Ashdown’s comment was funny.

I’m absolutely loving his take on Cameron with the condom head. Genius indeed.

molgrips
    Free Member

I honestly have a hard time laughing at these cartoons.. they confuse and baffle me.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Check out Burlesconi at the back

Ha ha! The dirty old bugger with his pants down again! 😆

He is proper scum, Berluscioni.

grum
    Free Member

I agree molgrips – compared to most people I know I’m reasonably politically aware, but half the time I just don’t get it.

wwaswas

My wife taught one of his kids for a while.

He’s a jolly nice chap (although she was always convinced there were things living in his beard).

DezB
    Free Member

Why does it say “With Apologies” at the bottom? Cop out?

wwaswas

“With Apologies” at the bottom?

because it’s copied from a Madness album cover.

grum
    Free Member

OK, so can someone explain the political commentary in the cartoon in the OP?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“The Genius of Steve Bell”

Oxymoron of the week.

scaredypants

I’ve still got a few “if” books from years ago – excellent
    haven’t seen his stuff for ages though, is it online anywhere ?

DezB
    Free Member

because it’s copied from a Madness album cover.

Ah, gotcha

wwaswas
    binners

Ok Woppit. Seeing as you’re being so positive, would you like to nominate someone who you do rate then

I’m sure you yourself would have no problem grabbing the pencils and rustling up something perfectly observed, contemporary, witty, topical, funny, then beautifully executed. All on stupidly tight deadlines, on a daily basis for 30 years. Could you give as a link to some of your efforts, then I can compare and contrast?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m sure you yourself would have no problem grabbing the pencils and rustling up something perfectly observed, contemporary, witty, topical, funny, then beautifully executed

Just as much of a problem as Steve Bell evidently finds it…

Junkyard
    Free Member

binners can you find a bell one about religion that is really disparaging to help him see his genius…he did not do one of those danish cartoons did he?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What’s so crap about it then Woppit?

noteeth
    Free Member

He had Blair’s messianic face down pat. Most of his Gulf War stuff was brilliant.

binners

I’ll take that as a no then? Another of my favourites

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call it crap, but I definitely don’t get it. If there is something above the hahaha look at the johnny on his head aspect which I assume there must be.

Garry_Lager

There’s genius there no doubt (that G8 one is superb), but he can be a bit heavy handed and one note, don’t you think? Had a few ups and downs over the years – if you want something flat out ridiculed and eviscerated there’s none better. He’s not so good with stuff that needs a more nuanced approach – he failed badly with George Bush for example. He wasn’t alone there tbf – hard to satirise satire.

noteeth
    Free Member

a more nuanced approach

I think Doonesbury (in the Guardian review) does a good job. IIRC, there was an outcry when it was going to be pulled.

But really, do you need anything more than Clip-Art? I always enjoyed Get Your War On.

scaredypants

incidentally, he’s had jonnies on people’s heads for years

banginon

He’s surely not suggesting that our esteemed PM is a bit of a c ck. I can’t believe it.

I’ve been a fan for years. Nothing subtle about The If chronicles. excellent !

Northwind

Think he’s lost it a bit lately but when he’s good, he’s really bloody good

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Maybe if this was drawn in the 80’s it would be more immediate.

Madness? Not exactly current are they?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

Oxymoron of the week.

The greatest contradiction in terms you’ve heard all week Woppit ? I take it you consider Steve Bell to be exceptionally daft then ?

Well that’s a pretty damning indictment coming from someone who struggles to understand the news on the radio, and sets new standards of unmatched daftness on STW.

binners

I thought it was worth resurrecting this thread on the strength of today’s effort:

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

Oxymoron of the week.

Sorted

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The Genius of Steve Bell’ is closed to new replies.