Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The Gap or Afan?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’m staying in South Wales this week and was planning on riding FOD, Cwmcarn, BPW and Afan on the final day. To save a longer drive I’m considering riding the Gap loop, is it a better ride than Afan?

It was always on my hit list at Uni but never bothered due to rubbish weather, Sunday looks a perfect day for it.

Is there any better riding in the area? GPX files welcome

nickjb
    Free Member

The gap is a great scenic ride but not especially technical and has some long duller bits. It’s a great ride but in some ways but not that special. Adam is just a great day out. Loads of good trails. Adam would get my vote but i wouldn’t be disappointed if I had to do the Gap. The Gap might be busy with walkers at the weekend. There are a few nice natural rides in the beacons that’ll probably be good at the moment with the recent weather too

steezysix
    Free Member

Me and a mate did the Gap for the first (and only) time last year. We had nice weather but both thought it was one of the most boring rides we’d ever done. Basically technical fireroad with loads of walkers on it. Afan might be a bit further but there’s loads to do there and it doesn’t tend to be that crowded ever since BPW opened up.

Cheezpleez

I’ve said this before but I much preferred the Gap on a rigid bike as part of a bikepacking loop. It’s all about the scenery.

There are much better routes in the area. Check out Lord Hereford’s Knob.

steezysix
    Free Member

True, I think we both though it’d be a bit more technical, therefore we were a bit overbiked and blasted round it. Rigid or fatbike and an easy pace would be a different experience for sure.

Rosss
    Free Member

Sounds like we’ll stick with Afan then, over-biked for sure.

Check out Lord Hereford’s Knob.

As kind as the offer is, I’ve not had my tea yet. (Joking aside I’ll try and sensibly google this now!)

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch the gap on a summer weekend. There will be that many walkers on it it will go from fast and loose rockfest to frustrating stalling to go round walkers every 5 seconds.

Posters above I think are selling it short a bit – I tend to do it midweek and it’s great to get a clear run with amazing scenery for the comparatively very easy effort of getting up there.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Done it once, that’s enough for me.

Saying that Afan isn’t breaming with fun.

Northwind

BMCC

muddyground
    Free Member

Between the two, Afan. The Gap is great to look at, but a bit dull as a ride and seems to go on forever. Also, if you use the Taff trail to get there from Merthyr, it’s a bit like riding through an everlasting rubbish tip. The Gap would be better as a walk. Indeed probably stunning. Afan can be fun, although it does love a fire road. FOD is probably the best out of the three – less of a slog to get around (the red is a bit dull) and you can ride the good bits over and over again without spending hours getting to them. You also feel part of the gang – it’s small, so you are always riding with somebody.

In the spirit of STW, this weather, I suggest do a big thirty mile loop of Exmoor out of Minehead (avoiding Minehead itself!).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The Gap or Afan?’ is closed to new replies.