Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The Gap – am I silly?
  • marsbarman
    Free Member

As the title says. Am I silly? It’s been on the list to do for a while now, I know there’s better riding around, but it’s there.

Question is, I’m planning on going Thursday and temps up the top are knocking -5. I’m okay with the cold but the rain we’ve had here in the south west has been biblical the last couple of weeks. Am I likely go be looking at sheet ice up there? It’s a couple hours drive from where I am and if it’s unridable I’ll go FOD or something.

So, am I silly?

supernova

It’s never unridable, just more pleasant some times than others. If you’re appropriately equipped for the conditions there’s a great day out to be had riding it. Your enjoyment depends on your ability to suck up the misery of the mountains when the weather is against you. Some people can, some can’t.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

With the rain followed by the cold I’d suspect it would be very icy. It’s very exposed in parts & could also be brutally cold if the wind is up. Personally I like the ride. I’ve run it up & down loads of that part of the World over the years – it’s still one of my favourites.

Garry_Lager

I’d swerve any ride with the possibility of big ice – not worth the risk. I guess the challenge is you never quite know how icy it will be, and we’ve all done amazing winter rides where the ice isn’t too big of a deal, it’s small patches that you can clearly see or it’s broken up off-road.

The Gap will still be there in a few months time, it’s not going anywhere. If it’s a decent drive away there’s options to do something different.

ayjaydoubleyou

Its quite a high speed descent in places – I too would be worried about hidden ice patches.

welshfarmer

I have just driven over the Gospel pass. That was the most ice driving I have done in a long long time. Sketchy AF. If it had been water. It was ice. Even the puddles that remained were frozen under the water! Luckily the gap is so rocky you can avoid riding on sheet ice. Take you time, go steady, avoid large ice patches and you’ll be OK. We have done it as a Wednesday night ride in winter snow storms before now. If you are comfortable in mountains in winter you’ll be fine.

93_ra

Did it back in December, completely covered in sheet ice from the road to the top (and down the other side).

I’d think twice about it tbh but if you do find yourself up there and the descent is iced over I would suggest climbing up fan y big to the diving board, there’s a grassy descent that should be safer than trying to pick your way down between the ice and rock, not much of a detour either.

reluctantjumper

Personally I’d say don’t bother, it’s properly grim up there if it’s cold and the wind is blowing. If they’re forcasting -5 (is that the temp up top or for Llanfrynach down below) then the windchill can make that drop to -15 without any issue. Add in that the local NHS is at breaking point so spannering yourself wouldn’t be a good idea and I’d say head for the FOD this time, especially if you’re alone. It’s a lovely ride in decent weather but even I wouldn’t consider it right now.

Luckily the gap is so rocky you can avoid riding on sheet ice.

I’ve got to the Gap in cold weather and the run-off from recent rain has frozen over the top of the rocks forming a lumpy ice sheet, had to turn back and retrace my steps! The whole of the start of the descent, right round the left hander, looked like 93_ra’s picture but a good inch thick. Even the sheep were looking at me like I was crazy. I also once got to the gate at the bottom before the road and the water in the grass had frozen meaning I low-sided then slid into the wall on the right, that bloody hurt and I ended up calling for backup to get me back home.

marsbarman
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all. I think I’ll play the safe card and take the XC bike to FOD. My ice skating skills leave a lot to be desired. I’ll try again once we haven’t got such bad weather.

chevychase

For me, wind is the killer if it’s cold. Still, icy, freezing – I’d still be up for it.

timber

Having just seen the frost at home this morning and with a work yard not far from The Gap, I wouldn’t bother. Been a lot of surface water recently too. Too much cloud to see Gap from home this morning.

Alex

We rode it in the ice a few years ago. As @reluctantjumper says, top section through the gap was sheet ice. We ended up ‘bottom surfing’ down holding onto the bikes. It was a bit hairy! Also the climb up to the moor and the descent down to the railway line were extremely icy in places. And very VERY cold water if not.

The 5km or so back on the canal through more freezing puddles to Tal-y-bont was pretty miserable!

Having said that, on a bluebird day with no wind, it’s a stunning ride. Rode it 27/12 last year in 40mph ish winds and sideways rain. That was, er, a bit epic!

I’d not be rushing back to do it if it was icy.

Alex

Classic Gap MTB with Matt, Ceri and Haydn

Classic Gap MTB with Matt, Ceri and Haydn

Ah the snowy one 🙂

Edd's Birthday ride - Gap in the snow

marsbarman
    Free Member

That looks absolutely barbaric in the ice.. glad I’ve decided to veto it! I’ve got more annual leave mid to end Feb so I’ll try again then if I can get a clear and not too windy day!

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I live midway between The Gap and Fod and have riden both many times. Two very different ride but both great. My take on it is this. Most people will enjoy the Fod whatever the weather. Most people will enjoy The Gap in better weather. I would not do The Gap solo in bad (icey) weather like this week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.