Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • The future was bright…
  • ayjaydoubleyou

When was the last time we saw anyone of note riding an Orange ?

With one very recent possible notable exception (fairly irrelevent in this case), when was he last time someone of note paid for their own bicycle?

Olly
    Free Member

When i bought mine my criteria was 29er, 140-150mm travel, single pivot.
    It was the Orange or the SantaCruz at that time, so i went British (and found one for a bargain, £2200 for the whole thing).

Having got it, (2015?) im converted. Its geometry is perfect.
    Its reliable, its easy to maintain.

Climbs fine, ’cause all the antisquat can be done in the shock, and ive got a double crankset, so when you drop it into the granny ring it counteracts the pedal bob.
    Mine’s quiet, cause i actually look after it.
    I did find the brake squat a bit annoying, but thats only ever really an issue on the really really steep stuff, as its got the confidence to keep from yanking on the brakes in most situations.

I sometimes consider, if i ever cracked it, would i just get another comparable one. (probably, yes)

I think they are the Porsche of the bike world.

Laziest design team in the world ;-). But also bikes that you can ride every day, and still bother some proper super bikes with on a track day

sharkattack

I think they are the Porsche Morgan of the bike world.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mudeverywhere
    Free Member

And yet, Orange are selling everything they make at sky high prices… so..?

But they would only make what they have orders for or think will sell. So the question relevant to this thread is: are orange making as many frames as 5, 10, 15 years ago?

Yes to the bottle mount thing. Puts me off. Upside down is almost as bad as none. Ideally two, one for a drink and the other for storage.

reluctantjumper

Are they not what they used to be, fallen out of favour with the Singletrack community, or have I missed something?

Still see plenty of them when I’m out and about, everywhere from South Wales to the FOD and Windhill. They’re not the ‘In’ brand currently but plenty of people like them, me included.
    I have a (now retired) 2011 5 and loved it but when it came time to replace it the cost of them and the Alpine 6 (or whatever it was called then) was way too much so I ended up with a Cotic Rocket instead. The equivalent Alpine in a similar spec was over £1800 more expensive and as they both rode great the Rocket won. So I’d say they’ve become the niche choice for now rather than one of the main ones. You never see them heavily discounted so I guess they can sell as many as they can make, that’s usually a good sign.

As for the brake jack issue you just ride them a bit differently while braking, they actually encourage good braking technique. Never held me back or caused me to crash.

Saccades
    Free Member

You do see them heavily discounted occasionally.

I bought my ’17 Segment Factory for 54% of RRP.

You just need to look when a new model is coming out.

molgrips
    Free Member

But they would only make what they have orders for or think will sell.

I’d expect they are in it just to make a living and have fun with bikes, rather than expand into a global megacorp. So if that’s the case, you set your prices to manage the demand you can meet.

OwenP

I wonder if the MTB “value” confidence has generally dropped over recent years?

I mean, Orange sell bikes based on “simplicity” and “durability” (by association with simplicity) for a high price. I guess many buyers might have in the past stretched to the RRP on the basis the bike will last a good many years.

Recently though it’s possible most people have looked at a landscape of changing wheel sizes and especially geometry and many aren’t really convinced an expensive simple bike will last and last (yeah, even if some of that is fashion/perception driven). Harder to make that value argument to yourself when your last “new” 2015 bike is considered outdated, especially combined with durability rumours.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I guess many buyers might have in the past stretched to the RRP on the basis the bike will last a good many years.

Like me? Still got my 2011 5 & I still can’t do it justice.
    Just bought a 2nd hand 2020 P7 which is just about as quick as the 5 on descents. (Except it’s a medium & after 3 rides I realise I really need a small, so it’ll have to go)

continuity
    Free Member

I’m not sure where the Porsche comparison fits. Nothing about orange bikes is about a relentless pursuit of driving (or riding) perfection. A better comparison is British Leyland.

halifaxpete

I’m a fan. On my 2nd Crush and 2nd Five (both in 29er flavour) Far from sophisticated but great fun and simple, Plus theyre built 5 mins from my house. The Fives an old thing now (2013) but still ploughing on nicely. I’m not blinkered they are expensive for what they are and not as tough as they used to be.

theboatman
    Free Member

I built up a 27.5 Clockwork Evo during lockdown 1, and love it. Ticked most of my boxes, and yes it was overpriced for what it is, but I had a credit note and I rather liked the look of it. Totally different to the steel Clockwork I had in the 90’s but it wasn’t a sentimental purchase and considering I still ride the same trails I like both bikes and the current Clockwork is definitely more fun. It’s my go to bike and there isn’t really a lot more you can say about an alu hardtail.

molgrips
    Free Member

I guess many buyers might have in the past stretched to the RRP on the basis the bike will last a good many years.

They weren’t all that expensive, in the past.

sprocker
    Free Member

I bought one of the last 5 frames direct from orange when my bronson was recalled under warranty. Was going to sell it when I got the bronson back. Paid 2k for it with an x2 shock, paint option and headset which I did not think was that bad. Got the bronson back and sold it. Just enjoyed the 5 a lot more. I like tight steep trails and rutted berms etc it feels so good on it. Open fast rocky its not as sure footed but then I have tried numerous long travel 29ers which excel on that but I then find a hand full in the tight. Just a really fun bike, not for everybody though and depends how/what you ride. Full builds are really expensive but frame only and savvy buying can get you a decent one for 4 to 4.5k.

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I Find it interesting how much they split opinion. It sounds like the used to be quite backwards in their design and have a reputation for that despite being one of the first to focus on big wheel trail bikes and geometry. Likewise they seem to have a reputation for being heavy but as I understand it their alu frames are not to far off the kind of weight you’d get from a carbon frame (and it’s not like they don’t crack either). People think they’re expensive but when you compare the frames only like for like they’re about the same as other uk made frames.

I don’t have any strong opinions on this, but I wouldn’t fork out for a huge £ one (my crush is Taiwanese made). I just find it curious that they’re so love/hate.

Northwind

Could we just agree that when people say “brake jack” most of the time they just mean “using the rear brake does weird stuff”. I know it’s not correct terminology but that doesn’t invalidate the experience, it just means people haven’t got the right technical language to explain what they’re feeling the bike doing.

DickBarton

I’ve never ridden an Orange full suspension bike, but I suspect it wouldn’t take much time to adjust to how that rode, just as you adjust to how any new bike rides.

TBH I think this is one thing they’ve always done really well on and it gets overlooked- they’re generally easy and intuitive to jump on and ride. So they impress on test rides, and work brilliant as “the bike I don’t ride much”. It’s why I still have mine- I literally hadn’t ridden it since August 2019, rode it once round the block to test it then rode it down fort bill dh, I knew by the time I hit the first big rock garden I’ll be settled. It’s a great and underrated thing.

(The dh bike I had before, a Last Herb, was definitely a better bike… way faster, way more grip. Just a single pivot but with a good linkage. But it took me time to get used to it, every time, and the first run was always a disaster. I’d rather have my 224 evo’s OK performance, but be able to use it)

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

But they would only make what they have orders for or think will sell. So the question relevant to this thread is: are orange making as many frames as 5, 10, 15 years ago?

Probably… It’s pretty unusual, Orange made their bikes how they do, entirely because of the connection to the sheet metal business. But they say the kit they use to produce the frames is bloody expensive, which means that increasing capacity is expensive (and there’s no subtlety here, apparently it’d be 1 machine to 2 for the big kit so that means a 100% increase in production, staff, etc). And when they make full suss bikes out of tubes, nobody wants them. So they’ve kind of chicken and egged themselves.

Tim
    Free Member

I’m not sure where the Porsche comparison fits. Nothing about orange bikes is about a relentless pursuit of driving (or riding) perfection. A better comparison is British Leyland.

It’s a 911 comparison.

The engine is in the wrong place, but they have continued to refine it.

Orange is single pivot, but they have continued to refine it.

They also are both expensive 😃

continuity
    Free Member

@Tim

Ye,s but Porsche did so successfully!

mikertroid
    Free Member

I had a Five from 2009-2018. Changed bearings once or twice….dead easy.

Sold it as it was a 26′ straight steerer and was concerned about parts etc.

Due to budgetary constraints I’d already bought a Boardman FS Pro and since buying that, the Five never got much use. I guess that was mainly geometry but the Boardman’s 4 bar link felt invisible to the single pivot on the Five.

I wouldn’t rule out another Orange again, but I’d want to explore all other options. I did ride a Trek Remedy after ordering the Five and felt that it was an amazing ride; so I guess their USP is simplicity. That said, it wasn’t too hard changing the bearings on my Boardman.
    I’ve said I’ll replace it when it snaps, but it refuses to do so!

chakaping
    Free Member

Just a really fun bike

Exactly what I say about my Stage 6.

Yes, there are plenty of multi-pivot bikes which could do the same job with more composure – but I don’t believe any could be more fun or more lively.

And it’s on par with an average carbon-framed enduro bike for weight.

And they seem to have stopped cracking in about 2018 or 2019 following a design revision, touch wood.

Here’s a review I wrote of mine, which addresses some of the received wisdom recited in this thread…
    http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-orange-stage-6/

molineux1980
    Free Member

I sold my 2015 Specialized Enduro in Jan and bought a second hand 2016 Alpine 160, for simplicity and satisfy my curiosity. The Spesh was costing me a fortune in bearing replacement.

I love it. It’s took a little fettling to get the feel right (bands in the shock), but for my level, it a riot to ride. I’ve pushed my riding harder and hit stuff I wouldn’t have dreamed of 12 months ago.

I’ll be keeping it a while, just upgraded the 10 speed 11-40T to 11 speed 11-46T to help with the climbing bulk.

I’ve also got an On One Big Dog, I think I like the more agricultural type of riding lol.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve pushed my riding harder and hit stuff I wouldn’t have dreamed of 12 months ago.

But… But… Brake jack and plushness and kinematics and..and.. impossible!

molineux1980
    Free Member

I’m too clumsy a rider to notice 🙂

aaronjenks2002
    Free Member

This has been an interesting read for me – thanks to the OP for raising. I have a 2012 five, which I enjoy very much. However, as I have concerns about replacing parts (26 inch wheels) it will be replaced. I purchased it as a present to myself when I got a new job, but a young family and responsibilities severely curbed my riding time, and I spent less time keeping up to date with what was going on.
    Come the lock down, I had more time to cycle and re-kindle my love of biking. So I have quite a gap in what has been going on in the last 8 or so years. When I got the bike Oranges seemed to frequently feature in the media/forums, and the five quite well regarded (although with split opinions) but now I rarely see anything.

I wonder whether the sad accident and eventual death of Michael Bonney (Orange Bikes Owner) played a role in what happened? Difficult to believe it hadn’t had some impact on the company.

ajt123
    Free Member

I think the need to embrace new technology to be relevant.

E.g.

Single pivot, with a high pivot idler.

Keep the same basic layout but combine the high anti squat, with improved anti rise.

Consider more customisation – bespoke geometry and sizing. Perhaps look into 3D printing or CNC.

I’m not mad keen on the monocoque design from a durability point of view.

Would rather have a thicker tube. Dent resistance.

dazzydw
    Free Member

Interesting thread!
    I have two 26er Fives which have been great and was a bit of a fanboi. I now run a Crush 27.5, but had to wait for a used one, no way could I justify the ££££ for a new one.
    For me the bikes are still really great but they’ve now totally priced themselves out of it. The price for equivalent specs bikes is now ridiculous and worse since pandemic shortages hit. When I move back to fullsus I know there’ll be an Orange I will like but won’t get.

thepodge
    Free Member

Orange reportedly sell out of everything they can produce so there’s no need to make them cheaper, newer, fancier, etc.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘The future was bright…’ is closed to new replies.