Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)
  • The free movement of people in Europe
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Is this really a problem in England? I can’t for the life of me understand why this is a problem?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats the question?

MoreCashThanDash

The free movement of people in Europe isn’t a problem.

The perceived issues around it appears to be a problem for an increasing number of disenfranchised voters.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

Whats the question?

The free movement of people in Europe
    Is this really a problem in England?

To answer the OP.
    Not at the moment, no.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Tories, waffling on about curbing immigration from Europe. Basically undermining the best thing about Europe.

Do they really think restrictions would only work one way?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Meh, I think it depends on the industry you work in if you see it as a problem or not. I know of plenty of people who believe their wages are not going up because of cheap immigrant labour. The fact that their wages might not be going up due to other factors does not get in the way of a tabloid headline or populist politicians.

In my line of work its not a problem and beneficial – we send consultants to the continent and free movement of people without concern about work visas means more business for us – its a two way street.

Junkyard
    Free Member

In the north of England most areas have a reasonable percentage of eastern Europeans living and working there. We have a Polish shop and food in supermarkets for this community
    Whether this is a problem or not depends on many factors.
    IMHO folk like to blame them, and the EU, for the issue associated with global capitalism.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was wondering which was it was phrased, is the problem that people can move or that if there is and EU exit it will prevent the English moving. The right wing media will portray immigration as a problem in any country.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have no problem with people moving around to find work at all. Many brits did it in the 90s, heading off to Germany.
    I’m not happy with any receiving benefits though.

RustySpanner

I think overall population growth is the problem.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    I have no problem with people moving around to find work at all. Many brits did it in the 90s, heading off to Germany.
    I’m not happy with any receiving benefits though.

why not? I’d have a guess that the tax taken from European workers far outstrips the benefits given.

binners

The Southampton (labour) MP who had a pop at Dwayne Dibley last week about the reality of immigration to what is supposedly their core working class vote, quoted the effect on wages.

According to her, the day rates for tradesmen i.e.: brickies on building sites had gone from £130, down to £60 with a recent influx of Eastern European driving down wages.

If that was me, I’d be pretty upset. I’m sure you would be too. Whether whatever knee-jerk nonsense Dave proposes to do about it, to out-UKIP UKIP, will rectify the problem… who knows

I suspect not. As pointed out already, it isn’t the fault of the EU, its all about Neo-liberal global capitalism. There is a certain irony to its evangelical free-market champions in the Tory Party, and UKIP, the right wing press etc, now rounding on this one particular element of the system they so love, as the cause of all our present woes 🙄

ninfan
    Free Member

I think stories like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29251735

certainly bring to light valid concerns over freedom of movement within Europe, that are not connected with issues as simple as numbers of people – though obviously it leaves open whether the answer involves stricter rules or greater integration.

Certainly it seems to me that we should be aware of and have a right to reject entry to someone with a significant criminal history.

The driving down of wages is I think a valid concern, perhaps more so because there appears to be tolerance of some countries acting illicitly to prevent this (threads passim about MTB guiding in France for example)

wrecker
    Free Member

why not? I’d have a guess that the tax taken from European workers far outstrips the benefits given.

Happy for those who need work to come over and work. They can do what they want with the money they earn (obviously). However the moment they stop earning, the arrangement should be for them to return home and be supported by their parent country. Yes they have paid tax, but have also benefitted handsomely (as will their parent country as many send money home).

matt_outandabout

Ebola will sort it out.

badnewz
    Free Member

If you can’t see how uncontrolled mass immigration into the second most densely populated country in western europe is a problem, then there truly is no hope for you.

allthegear
    Free Member

I believe that there is an arrangement where the money for income support is reimbursed by the origin country through a single annual payment between countries. So, it really matters not whether they are working, surely?

Rachel (a Yorkshire immigrant in Norfolk)

freeagent
    Free Member

Happy for those who need work to come over and work. They can do what they want with the money they earn (obviously). However the moment they stop earning, the arrangement should be for them to return home and be supported by their parent country. Yes they have paid tax, but have also benefitted handsomely (as will their parent country as many send money home).

This.
    Fine if they are over here working, and making a positive contribution.

aracer
    Free Member

Can I just check, is it OK for people who have paid less taxes here than some of these immigrants to claim benefits, just because they happen to have been born here? Or would you like to deport them as well?

kimbers

horrible but thankfully rare stories like ninfans ^^^ are tabloid gold for the kippers and xenophobes and in this case the police had previously arrested this guy for suspiscion of assaulting a different girl but hadnt found his past conviction for murder,so its ahrd to know if he couldve been stopped anyway.

as to the larger question of numbers and movement, it seems like sheer folly to damage the labour market and reduce our competitiveness at times of national and global financial instability

and as immigrants pay more in tax and claim less benefits per head than native brits it really just highlights how much better for the economy they are

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/european-institute/highlights/2013-14/immigration

mikewsmith
    Free Member

badnewz – Member
    If you can’t see how uncontrolled mass immigration into the second most densely populated country in western europe is a problem, then there truly is no hope for you.

A reduction of emigration is partly to blame for the rise in numbers…

Junkyard
    Free Member

What colour is their skin?

wrecker
    Free Member

Can I just check, is it OK for people who have paid less taxes here than some of these immigrants to claim benefits, just because they happen to have been born here? Or would you like to deport them as well?

Each national govt has a responsibility to its own citizens. Happening to be born here means you are a British person and with that comes some entitlements. The same entitlements can be offered by other governments to their citizens.

What colour is their skin?

That’s a very low blow, and uncalled for.

RustySpanner

Junkyard – lazarus

What colour is their skin money?

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on that note we better stop winter fuel and pension payments to all those british pensioners living in spain…

ninfan
    Free Member

in this case the police had previously arrested this guy for suspiscion of assaulting a different girl but hadnt found his past conviction for murder,

Would that not be a valid reason to say we might have put the cart before the horse?

It seems ridiculous that we didn’t know, and seemingly have no way of knowing, about peoples criminal history before opening our borders to them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, because they can’t be deported so we’re stuck with them.

And then you get into arguments about whether the system created the problem, etc.

Personaly I’d like to see a link between NI contributions and unemployment benefits. E.g. only claiming 1 year in 8, after a minimum contributing period of 3 years or something.

kimbers

It seems ridiculous that we didn’t know, and seemingly have no way of knowing, about peoples criminal history before opening our borders to them

so you want the EU wide police force, with a database containing records of all citizens that have criminal records , Europol is quite large but doesnt have that kind of reach as far as im aware

its quite a federalist idea though ninfan!

mudshark
    Free Member

I believe that there is an arrangement where the money for income support is reimbursed by the origin country through a single annual payment between countries.

Source please.

London’s overpopulated and getting worse, more pressure to build in surrounding towns and greenbelt. This is the result of many factors, no idea about numbers of people coming and getting benefits though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

freeagent – Member
    This.
    Fine if they are over here working, and making a positive contribution.

There seems to be no challenge to my point that they contribute more than they take. So where is the problem coming from? It’s not financial.

ninfan
    Free Member

Kimbers, you did see that I commented above:

“obviously it leaves open whether the answer involves stricter rules or greater integration.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So where is the problem coming from? It’s not financial.

Fear, scaremongering, politics, electioneering, racism.

kimbers

I know,ninfan,
    I cant see how it would be achieved without creating a very large and wide ranging secure! database, bringing all member states in to line with the same policing, judiciary and record keeping standards at huge expense and I imagine what the telegrapgh/mail etc would have a shitfit over ‘surrendering’ more powers to the EU

im just surprised at your position

wrecker
    Free Member

There seems to be no challenge to my point that they contribute more than they take. So where is the problem coming from? It’s not financial.

Foreign citizens are benefitting from working here, why should they be permitted to take anything out of the system regardless of how much they put in?

No, because they can’t be deported so we’re stuck with them.

Not really my point, aside from foreign criminals or terrorists I wouldn’t “deport” anyone. Foreign citizens would just not be entitled to receive any benefits.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That’s a very low blow, and uncalled for.

I apologise I meant it as a light hearted comment in relation to aracer post.
    I did not mean to suggest that you were in anyway shape or form a racist for the views you have expressed on this thread or anything else you have said on STW
    My sincerest apologies it was uncalled for.

kimbers

Foreign citizens are benefitting from working here, why should they be permitted to take anything out of the system regardless of how much they put in?

because being foreign doesnt make them worth any less than being british

darrenspink
    Free Member

One of the biggest issues I see (haven been involved in education) is children from the EU starting school who can’t speak English. This isn’t there fault and nor is it the teachers or schools fault that they don’t have enough resources but it is (as you can imagine) a massive problem and has a detrimental effect on the other children. Of course there are children from the EU who start in schools who can speak English and are very clever.

I think being able to move across the EU is fantastic, if I had the change I would be straight off to live in southern France or northern Italy for some super mountain trails 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

because being foreign doesnt make them worth any less than being british

I never suggested in any way that they had less worth as people.

mudshark
    Free Member

This isn’t there fault

You’re right, it’s not their fault.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    electioneering.

I think you have a valid point there, playing on prejudices. Piss poor politics.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘The free movement of people in Europe’ is closed to new replies.