Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The Flies! Why my house? Why so many?
  • i_like_food

We’ve lived in our house for 8 years and over the past 4-5 have had an progressive increase in the number of small, mosquito-like, flies that appear around this time of year and stay for about a month.

They don’t bite or land on food etc but there’s so many as to be really irritating and it means we don’t open the windows much, which in a south facing house gets a bit hot.

I’ll try to post a picture of some, or a link to an album if I fail.  They are dead ringers for Mozzies.

Thinking of possible cause, I’ve checked for dead bodies under the stairs etc. It’s a newish house (20 years?) and we’re about 100m from the river Wye.  Neighbors in our estate do get them,but no where near as many as us.

Any STW fly-boffins (entemologists?) Out there with any clues or tips?

i_like_food

Photos here

Stoner
    Free Member

EDIT Just seen pic, they’re not clusterflies

you can get sprays and dusts to make the attic and window frames in hospitable for them.

i_like_food

Thanks for trying Stoner.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Before anyone suggests it, yes, a flamethrower would work, but it is tricky to control overspray.</span>

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We have a *minor* issue with drain flies in the bathroom, tried to avoid going under the floor, looking unavoidable though.

i_like_food

Thanks Stoner, that looks like them.

‘Larve found in decaying matter’ – compost heap?  Would that be the source?  It’s round the back and well rotted/dry and disturbing it doesn’t cause any flies to appear.

Thinking further afield, there is a sewage works about 500m away as the crow flies but no smell and our neighbours don’t get anywhere near as many as we do.

Back to the dead body hypothesis, we are planning on getting a new patio laid.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Have you got a leak in the sewer / drain in your house somewhere?

Get someone who hasn’t been to your house before to have a sniff around (you may be desensitised to the smell so won’t be able to smell it)

CountZero

Time to stock up on geckos and chameleons, I reckon…

globalti
    Free Member

I’m certainly no expert but to me they look like the kinds of flies that buzz around rivers and lakes and get scoffed by big fish. Having a river nearby is the clue. If it was a problem for you and your neighbours you could pool (sorry) your resources and buy a midge magnet, which might attract them and depopulate the area if they were the sort of fly that is attracted to bite humans and animals. Otherwise, how about fly screens in the windows during the bad month?

wrightyson
    Free Member

We were absolutely inundated on site when it was slightly warm over the last few weeks. I believe they came in with some “top soil” the landscaper had delivered to site. So the compost area coyld be a clue. Also I’ve noticed hundreds of the **** in the grass at low level when out with the dog.

i_like_food

Ok, thanks all. I’ll research Midge Magnet, clear our compost heap and, when I have a moment,divert the river.

Will report back if any of the above work.

bsims
    Free Member

Have you got a pond or marshy area in your garden?

timba
    Free Member

Look like window gnats. We get them every year, they don’t “do” anything. Neighbours both sides have a pond

In the morning you’ll find them Garfield-like on the windows, they get under dish cloths, in the kettle and most annoyingly fly in your face when you pick up the kettle/cloth. Obviously they prefer damp/wet, and beer

Every now and then I go at them with the vacuum cleaner, but it’s pointless coz a load more turn up. They have super powers when you fill the kettle, they’ll fly out despite the deluge of water landing on them

Give it a few weeks and they’ll disappear, mostly turning up dead behind free-standing furniture, curtains, etc

i_like_food

@bsims. No pond close.

@timba
    . They normally last for about a month. Bit Bit an irritating month.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The Flies! Why my house? Why so many?’ is closed to new replies.