Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • the first tom ritchey mtb in the u.k.
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

any idea of it’s value?
    i’m hopefully going to have a look at it this week.
    was shipped over for a bike magazine review/photoshoot many years ago and has been stored in a photographers studio since then.
    i’m guessing it’s been made by the the man himself.
    i’ll try to take a few pics.

sc-xc

Repack Rider should be able to put you right…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I imagine ebay.de will be a better place to look for prices than Charlie Kelly.

andrewh
    Free Member

Ask over on retrobike (but don’t tell them where it is or you may find a queue there when you arrive)

MrSmith
    Free Member

no chance of anyone getting their hands on it first.
    i know the owner and it’s probably going on ebay.
    hopefully get some pics at the end of the week.

tang
    Free Member

Retro posse will be wetting themselves! Please put some pics up when you can.

MrSmith
    Free Member

turns out to be a bit of a wreck.
    it’s been used as a commuter for quite a while.
    it’s not the first ritchey in the u.k. that one was the one used in the front cover shot (see the gallery of pics) i think this one is maybe a different bike? the old one has lost it’s headbadge, everything else looks original.
    the bits were magura, mafac, TA, araya rims, shimano and some suntour?, headset was tange and grips were oakley. cassete was some odd looking widely spaced thing.

http://gallery.me.com/garysmithphoto#100035&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=4

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Hard to see the condition from the pic, but that bike is a very early Ritchey with what looks to be mostly original equipment. Plenty of collectors would want it in whatever condition.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s mostly original apart from the saddle. don’t know when/if it will be for sale though.
    condition isn’t great but a thorough strip down and clean would help. cables have rubbed the paint of the top-tube.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Probly worth about as much as this…

Why bother?

MrSmith
    Free Member

i can’t answer that.
    i have no interest in it at all, a few people out there would like to own a bit of mtb history though.

walleater

Some bum brought in a fillet brazed Ritchey all terrain bicycle (ahem…)from the same sort of era the other week. Unfortunately I didn’t have any cash on me to get it off him, as he clearly didn’t have a clue about it and supposedly bought it for 8 bucks….. Despite mountain biking clearly being invented in Norway, I still wanted to cry.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Get it!
    <capitalist scum mode on> Then sell it someone who’s prepared to pay over the odds for it <capitalist scum mode off>

Crell
    Free Member

Love that Dec 83 BMX cover for Bicycle mag. So true!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘the first tom ritchey mtb in the u.k.’ is closed to new replies.