Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 667 total)
  • The First STW Religion Poll
  • slackalice
    Free Member

I don’t believe in doctrine, which is how I define religion.

However I have faith, which is mine and it’s my world, my reality so it’s true for me 😀

Make of that what you will.

swavis

4.5, I was going to type out a longer reply but cougar nailed it earlier.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

allan23
    Free Member

4 and a half.

I like to be tolerant and think that people should believe what they want… but then someone always has to act like a dick about their religion.

rt60
    Free Member

jamj1974

7. I am a god.

Duffer
    Free Member

I suppose technically that makes me an atheist, but it doesn’t define me as a person. In Derren Brown’s words “i’m also not a Botanist, but i don’t define myself by my Abotany”.

I can’t help but notice an overwhelming lean to the 4/5 end of the spectrum. Do you think STW represents a good cross section of society? A few years ago, the BBC suggested that some 60+% of the UK population defined themselves as Christian.

mintimperial

Northerly 4 veering north-easterly 5 or 6 later.

yossarian
    Free Member

3. The search for otherness fascinates me. I suspect it’s likely to be delusional bollocks in the end but I remain fascinated by the search.

chewkw
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member

Let’s do our own religion poll on here.

If you are willing, indicate your attitude to religious belief (defined, for our purposes, as adherence to a particular faith tradition), using one the following categories:

1. practicing religious
    2. non-practicing religious
    3. *interested, non-religious
    4. non-interested non-religious (ambivalent)
    5. anti-religious

1. (mine might not even be called a religion … assuming I mine is …)

Mine does not belong to Abrahamic faith nor any notion of Almighty Creation.

We are responsible for ourselves, we have been warned.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m moomin…

Sh1T! No mormon! MORMON!

DezB
    Free Member

6. Not even interested enough to take part in a religious poll (sensibly).

joshvegas
    Free Member

Interested but Fully anti religious.

I’d like to be a 4

nickc

3/4

interested, some of the earliest things that humans have ever made are religious, personally: not for me.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

3 mostly, 5 when some muppet thinks that any criticism or intelligent appraisal of their own faith is aggressive/militant without actually looking at the way their religion behaves/has behaved.

saxonrider always thought some of your threads had a bit of the lay-preacher about them… 😉 What do you take from this poll so far?

franki
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

3 and 5. I find religious beliefs and stories fascinating, but also I’m repulsed by the sectarianism, the religious hate, the wars, the oppression of women and gay people.

The world would be a much better place if religions had never been invented, but also culturally poorer.

AlexSimon

leffeboy

1 and like it here
    You keeping a tally SaxonRider?

bikeytom
    Free Member

3 whilst I was working out in Canada at an outdoor centre with some guys with a First Nations background, Haida nation I think. Was also fascinated by religion in Nepal when I went on holiday there.
    These days though I’m 4, with 5 tendencies when it comes to issues like abortion or same sex marriage.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

3-4 but hit 5+ when anyone tries to thrust their beliefs on me, then I go into religionist mode, It’s like being a racist which I’m not.

vickypea
    Free Member

bencooper – the world would also be a much better place if it wasn’t for a whole load of undesirable human behaviour that has precisely nought to do with religion.

Although there are some negative aspects to religion, I think it’s quite naive to think that it’s the root of most of the world’s problems. If religion were obliterated, you’d be sorely disappointed to find that there is still a lot wrong with the world.

jp-t853

4-5

bencooper
    Free Member

vickypea:

If you choose to answer, please do not make judgemental comments about anyone else’s response.

the-muffin-man

arrpee
    Free Member

3, if I’m hoping to sleep with a religious person.

andytherocketeer

I can’t help but notice an overwhelming lean to the 4/5 end of the spectrum. Do you think STW represents a good cross section of society?

it’s self selecting statistics though.
    much like all of the polls on here.
    interesting, yes. statistically relevant, no.

ask a randomly selected 100 (even a randomly selected 100 STWers) how they identify themselves, or what size wheels they use on their main MTB, or what configuration of shifters, derailleurs (sp?) they have, and the poll results will be totally different from those where the participants are desperate to show they are atheist or to let everyone know they have 650b / 1x / tubeless.

vickypea
    Free Member

bencooper – I reserve the right to challenge such judgemental comments as the one you made.
    Saxon Rider- I apologise if I’ve not followed the rules of this thread but as I’m not prepared to be called judgemental by someone who has just done exactly that themselves, I’m out of this thread and out of any other religious topics on STW. 😐

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

4 mostly.

ocrider

I’m mostly a 4. After a few drinkies I may become either a 3 or 5 depending on the profundity of the conversation. If there’s a firebrand theist in the room, it gets closer to 6. I much prefer existentialist discussions than dogma, but don’t we all?

Btw: 29’er, 2×9 (one for going down the shops, the other for up hills)

SaxonRider

saxonrider always thought some of your threads had a bit of the lay-preacher about them

What?!? I’m insulted. Trust me when I say I’m no ‘lay preacher’! 😯

What made you think that? ?

@vickypea: Don’t give up! I don’t think you’re judgmental!

edhornby

Follow the Gourd !!! No, the Shoe is the one true way

I am here you know, give me my shoe back

[edit]

I’m a 5, I’d prefer the poll used the word atheist, it doesn’t have the subconscious ‘anti’ suffix that could rile people (a very minor quibble). But as others have said, I don’t like the organisations wielding influence over those who don’t agree (schools, house of lords etc)

MoreCashThanDash

3, definitely.

The world would be a better place if there were more of us.

olddog

3 mainly

5 for all forms of aggressive bigotry, obviously not at all the preserve of religion!

bencooper
    Free Member

bencooper – I reserve the right to challenge such judgemental comments as the one you made.

I didn’t make any judgemental comments about you. Unless you are taking offence because I said I don’t like religion, in which case getting personally offended about general statements is another thing that annoys me about religion.

molgrips
    Free Member

I find it amazing how people can be disparaging about something clearly important to someone, to their face, and then get all self righteous when that person gets upset. In the name of secularism.

It’s like me walking up and calling your wife an ugly bitch, then saying its your problem for being offended.

crankboy
    Free Member

6 Atheist not anti religious just don’t imagine for a second that god or gods exist. Quite happy for people to believe something different as long as they accept their belief in God is just that a private belief that should have no sway over civic life.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or.. seeing that someone is upset by what you’ve said, and being self righteous saying they shouldn’t get upset cos you’re so right. In the name of secularism.

Maybe you should think about what you’re doing a little more. You’re being offensive (yes, you are) with secularism which is no different to religious people criticising you for being non-religious. Which is something almost everyone on this thread has complained about.

So basically, you’re being a hypocrite. And THIS is what gets me wound up about the people complaining about religion on here. Cos you’re no better.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s like me walking up and calling your wife an ugly bitch, then saying its your problem for being offended.

If you’re referring to bencooper’s comment, it’s like saying “I don’t like ugly women” and the someone else getting offended about your opinion of their wife.

I’d hope everyone would be repulsed by sectarianism, religious hate, wars, and the oppression of women and gay people.

codybrennan
    Free Member

1, and always been a 1. I can feel in my bones that its the truth- and that’s the difficult thing. I get all that “claims require proof!” schtick but I can only say that I just know.

Sorry.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 667 total)

The topic ‘The First STW Religion Poll’ is closed to new replies.