Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • the F***ing Alps ?
  • GW
    Free Member

[PISS POOR RANT]
    why is it that almost every time someone asks advice on the suitability/durability/strength of an XC (or whatever it’s called these days) component on here someone feels the need to post up that they used said “weak” product in the Alps for X days/weeks with no problems?
    If you ride in such a manner that you rearely break anything here, it’s pretty much a given you’ll ride just like that over there! and guess what? you probably won’t break anything there either! There’s nothing different about the stresses components will experience here in the UK to the Alps (other than brakes if you are a brake dragger). 😛
    [/PISS POOR RANT}

Please excuse the half decent grammar, spelling and lack of random caps. (I’m not really all that bothered) 😉

Nick

jealous you don’t get to the alps much?

sofatester
    Free Member

Breathe man!

coffeeking
    Free Member

In general I’d be inclined to agree if sticking to general trails, although a lot of the trails there include bigger and faster stuff for 4-5x the duration than you ever find in the majority of the UK so it’s not entirely true. And people tend to push themselves more when they’re on holiday in the alps, making full use of the facilities. Shocks heat up more, more riding compressed into 2 weeks than you’d normally do in 2 months etc etc…

Poor rant. Based on poor assumptions. No swearing except in title, 2/10.

kennyNI
    Free Member

Is a 30 minute descent in the Alps the same as 2 minutes in UK for suspension?

GW
    Free Member

Coffeeking – what about not sticking to “general trails” (whatever they are?) in the UK?
    Duration of descending is the only difference (although 18 runs of Ft Bill is entirely possible in an afternoon in Scotland)

2/10 is more than I’d expected 🙂

underthesun
    Free Member

I think your an @rse

trailmonkey

There’s nothing different about the stresses components will experience here in the UK to the Alps

So, where in the UK are you likely to find such highly sustained, high speed descending over rocky terrain ? There isn’t any, thats why we all go to the alps. Add in the fact that you’re going to be doing it repeatedly all day for 5,6,7 days or more and you’re getting some way to seeing why a week in the alps stresses your bike.
    3 out of the 5 bikes that went to the alps with us in 2007 came back with significant damage. One frame, terminally damaged.

I’m calling this one more of a troll than a rant.

GW
    Free Member

So, where in the UK are you likely to find such highly sustained, high speed descending over rocky terrain ?

Ft william/Glencoe 😉

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

3200 meters down to 900 meters approx 25k long, I can’t find these trails in the UK. For sure trail centers are changing this but the riding in the Alps tests the rider and the bike. FACT.

GW have you ridden there? If so did you push yourself?

If the Alps was easy on kit why do most designers of kit and bikes get pro riders to test it there….

glenh
    Free Member

Or infact anywhere in the uk with mountains.
    It’s not like people ride down the proper mountains in the alps anyway, just the hills.

trailmonkey

Ft william/Glencoe

Then take your bike up there, ride the downhills 8 hours a day, for a week and see how fecked up it is by Monday.

MrAgreeable

So basically what you’re saying is that the opinions of people on forums should be taken with a pinch of salt? 😉

GW
    Free Member

Pugwash – Yes, lots and a little too far 😳
    I ride the same here as abroad, that’s kinda my point.
    Where does your info about testing come from?

theflatboy
    Free Member

someone started a thread like this in the alps and everyone laughed.

benkitcher
    Free Member

5-6 hours a day for a couple of weeks of CONSTANT vibration, braking bumps, jumps, dust, mud, rocks, uplifts, etc etc.

It causes all kind of problems you’ll never ever expect. I’ve experienced:

-Cassette lock ring working loose
    -Rear wheel losing tension every run
    -cable ties wearing through and causing the front brake hose to get in the front wheel
    -freewheels destroyed within days

Nothing catastrophic I know, but stuff which you’ll just not see over here because the abuse is just so relentless. And to give a real idea of how tough it is, I had bleeding blisters on my palms within a couple of days!

grumm
    Free Member

glenh – megavalanche goes from the summit of pic blanc, is that not a mountain? Do you live at the top of a himalayan mountain or something and everything else is just a hill?

grumm
    Free Member

I’m getting scared of trashing my bike in the alps now reading all this – it tends to get a bit of beating here on normal routes.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

“Where does your info about testing come from”?

Talking to the people who make the stuff actually.

People might ride the same in the Alps as they do in the UK, but a combination of the speeds attained and the terrain in the Alps is a lot more punishing on kit than equivalent UK riding.

GW
    Free Member

mega course goes up aswell as down, so where’s the difference in just doing continuous runs of Ft Bill?

GW
    Free Member

Mike – aye, down to duration of riding tho isn’t it? I wouldn’t say the UK has a lack of high speed rough/tech terrain. I can only ride my DH bike for a total of around 1/2 an hour – 45mins in a full days UK DHing.

Sanny
    Free Member

So because the stresses of riding in the UK are for a shorter period of time, does that mean if you only ride bikes in the UK, they’re more likely to last longer for the same amount of vertical descent?

GW – I have to agree with you. If you tend to be a light rider and not break stuff in the UK, I’d suspect that the same is probably true when you go to the Alps. There is almost a perception that some how riding in the Alps makes riders into hard core downhill legends. Not necessarily so. What I suspect is that if you have a tendency to break bikes, you’ll break bikes no matter where you ride as two broken Santa Cruz Hecklers and a Santa Cruz Superlight ridden only on UK trials from my past will attest. All Alpine riding really does is expose your bike to similar stresses over a more extended period of time.

As for there not being big mountains to ride in the UK, I can think of many 3000 foot plus descents that last for at least half an hour of sustained technical riding.

Cheers

Sanny

scruff
    Free Member

If something hasnt broken on a trip to the Alps I would count that as lucky. or you ride like a gayer.

glenh
    Free Member
    trailmonkey

I can think of many 3000 foot plus descents that last for at least half an hour of sustained technical riding.

And do you then get in a lift and start another one half an hour later, continuously, for 8 hours a day, for a week ? I’ll answer for you. No.

A trip to the alps is hard on your bike and you won’t replicate it in the UK.

GW
    Free Member

YAY!! Sanny’s back!! 😀

the voice of reason 😉

alpin
    Free Member

nah, i agree with OP.

we often go to 2000m and descend to 500m. 1500m is a good 45 minute ride down, sometimes more sometimes less. the set ups that we are riding here aren’t much different to what people in the UK are riding. the biggest difference is that the brakes are the wrong way round. ok, i run larger volume tyres but those i had in the UK done the job here too. i only changed as they were wearing down. maybe you see more 200mm front rotors but can’t really think of much else.

i was riding my sanderson HT with 120mm up front and keeping up with guys on big bad ass fullys. now riding my alpine and leading out in front as long as i know the trails.
    i ride with people on 80mm HT to 160mmFS. everyone gets down in one piece. sure things break but who’s to say they don’t break in the UK either.

the equipment we buy and use should be able to take what we throw at it (within reason). a lot of the riding i used to do back in the UK never really tested the bike, forks or even me – i lived in essex.

and that is to 2000m without an uplift. unless slogging up with the bike on your back counts as an uplift.

oh, nothing broke that day, or the day after, or the day after that.

even if you assume you ride every day for a week whilst on holiday in the alps, spread that week out over two months and i’ve not had any breakages and i ride minimun twice a week (well, was before xmas).

J

MrAgreeable

GlenH, here’s another view of that hill. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

The vast majority of UK riding is pretty tame in comparison with alpine descents, on scales of speed, technicality and duration. In theory all riding should be the same, but in all honesty most of the UK riding is what I call general trail riding – trail centre-like stuff, boring motorways interspersed with technical sections. Alpine descents generally are tough, technical and hard from start to finish. Things break due to descent duration, continuous vibration etc. Most people dont have access to the sort of scottish descents that equate to similar to alpine ones, and certainly wouldnt do 18 times round it. Other than wearing out, here’s my list of breakages when mountainbiking:

Home, nearly 18 years of riding:
    1x Wheel – incident with a large rock.
    1x Bars – caught a tree with bar-end.
    2x Tyre – glass.
    1x Rear mech, embedded in a wheel, which needed re-lacing.

Alps, 6 weeks total:
    Cranks – two pairs, inc carbon cranks which snapped during a drop on a downhill course.
    Big ring – mawled by a flying rock.
    Front wheel – demolished on a root.
    Brake pads – numerous.
    Rear Shock – blew seals on last run of the day
    Hope Mini – overheated rear caliper and damaged seals
    Front forks – seals failed.
    Freehub – pawls chipped, slightly odd – possibly a fail anytime item.
    Punctures – countless.
    Tyres – 2, ripped sidewalls.

If you attack alpine routes slowly then sure, its no different to the UK, but in the UK your average speed is a lot lower. In the UK you may do 30mph for 10 seconds, slow back down and corner etc, in the alps you have 2 mile stretches of 40mph, followed by 20-25 for 30 second batches too and fro between switchbacks. Average speed is higher, average impact speed is higher, meaning forces are higher on average.

grumm
    Free Member

So a mountain has to be pointy? How pointy exactly? Is there a pointiness measurement scale? Does that mean that in Scotland the Cuillin of Skye are mountains, whereas Ben Nevis is a hill because it has a flat top?

GW
    Free Member

Scruff – I rode purely DH for 2 weeks in the Alps this year and broke nothing (unless you count 1 puncture and two completely worn out rear tyres) – I’d consider it lucky too, on the same bike the following week I folded my front wheel in half at innerleithen in a compression/rutt I must’ve hit a thousand times. as a comparison, the same DH bike set-up usually costs me on average around £150 to repair (mainly Dinged/flatspotted rims, the odd mech/hanger and bent a few cranks/chain devices among other parts) after the one weekends racing at ft William each year.

alpin
    Free Member

OMFG! snow arrrrgh!

we ride in snow. infact we ride on snow whenever the ground is covered in snow. sometimes we ride down the ski pistes for a laugh. nothing broke.

oh, and i’ve watch a few maga vids and would say that along as no-one crashes into you and takes you out you should get down in one piece.

prehaps things break more readily in the alps because people do not worry so much about maintenance as they would back home. end of day, get the beers in, next day get up and go. whereas back home they have more time to fettle and potter about with their bikes and would notice if huibs were loose, cables wearing thin etc etc.

Sanny – Member
    As for there not being big mountains to ride in the UK, I can think of many 3000 foot plus descents that last for at least half an hour of sustained technical riding.

They’re not really indicative of typical UK riding though Sanny, and even those that do get to ride those kinds of UK trails might not necessarily be riding them regularly.

GW
    Free Member

The vast majority of UK riding is pretty tame in comparison with alpine descents

speak for yourself, we don’t all ride the same stuff in the UK.

MrAgreeable

i’ve watch a few maga vids and would say that along as no-one crashes into you and takes you out you should get down in one piece

Heh heh heh. Maybe.

trailmonkey

I think we’re going round in circles on this one.

I’ll forget any actual experience I’ve had on the subject and just go with what the OP thinks.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>So, where in the UK are you likely to find such highly sustained, high speed descending over rocky terrain ? There isn’t any, thats why we all go to the alps<

Whistles nonchalantly…

IME of riding mountains in Scotland most of the damage is caused by water/shit/grit/heather (ripping mechs /concealing ugly big rocks.) They don’t see too much of all that in the Alps do they 🙄

scruff
    Free Member

Well if you riding on your normal UK trail bike it will not be as beefee as a DH bike, so a trail bike in t’alps may break a bit more easy than a DH bike, if you are using same trails, yes?

Plus ridign all day in heat on harder trail makes yu more tired so you take poor line choices, ride a bit less finnessy whatever.

Last year I smashed a rim, Del totalled a wheel, Jims crank snapped, Cockey-wide-boy-geezers we were with had some bits break iirc (including a cracked jey crack’n’fail).

However I think the baggage handlers do as much damage as riding the things…

molgrips
    Free Member

-Cassette lock ring working loose

Happened to me in the UK

-Rear wheel losing tension every run

Also happened to me here

-cable ties wearing through and causing the front brake hose to get in the front wheel

That could happen anywhere. I split a brake hose in the UK – in my garage in fact, testing the brakes after a bleed.

If you’re gonna be sensible (I know, this is STW) the only conclusions are:

Typical riding in the Alps is harder than typical riding in the UK
    There are descents in the UK that approach the scale of Alpine riding
    A lot of intense riding in one go causes bike problems

End of thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘the F***ing Alps ?’ is closed to new replies.