The final straw, looking for another job

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The final straw, looking for another job
  • Boba Fatt

Went for a secondment in another team after having applied for a job with them, loved it, they loved me and my experience, knew there was no job at the end of at as no budget till end of our financial year. So did the other guy who went after me.

They ask him to stay for a bit longer, his current manager gives them a pissy ultimatum, all of a sudden, money is found in the budget and he ends up with a permanent job.

Not the first time they’ve pulled this sort of crap on people but a first for me. I was already fairly unhappy in my current position, but this is the final nail in the coffin for me and i’m concentrating all my time looking for something else.

A bit of a moan I know, but screw this for a laugh.

So what has been your reason for looking for something else?

I took a week for holiday, enjoyed it so much I never went back to the job. Probably the best thing I ever did.

So, they liked this other bloke more than you?

How dare they.

You should get a shatterproof ruler and carve your way out through the Human Resources department and into forensic history.

Pigface

My boss is a oaf and I can’t be bothered putting up with his nonsense anymore.

alexxx

I got pissed off with the boss doing 1 day a week for £60k a year and the 1 day they did was a mix of facebook and shouting at their staff with little knowledge of any situation…

So I setup my own business.. that was 6 years ago

What do you do? change of place or change of career time?

coconut

Almost identical situation. Seconded into another team for 1year… job never materialized. Got new job. Very happy. = leave

nickhit3

I worked for a razor manufacturer when i was a lad. Liked it so much, I bought the company.

Boba Fatt

So, they liked this other bloke more than you?

How dare they.

There was never any money in the budget for anyone else in the team till at least July. We were both made aware of that. I have vastly more experience in the software and completed all the tasks required.

So in a way, a popularity contest

Boba Fatt

What do you do? change of place or change of career time?

Software Support, was moving to the test team

This is quickly becoming the the time I follow my passion for web and graphic design

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

My wife and I were going through the adoption process, and had been approved. I’d told HR that I was thinking about taking 50/50 split parental leave with my wife, as is now allowed. I wasn’t even properly considering it, just talking through the options.

Anyway my boss cornered me, and told me to consider carefully how taking leave might affect my career.
    Mind you, he had form. On being told of a female member of staff’s pregnancy earlier in the year, he exclaimed loudly to a full staff room – ‘Oh for ***** sake, not another one.’ Lovely man.

Found a new job 2 weeks later!

nealglover

Every other job you apply for will use exactly the same selection process.

NZCol

Once upon a lifetime ago i felt i was massively underpaid for my contribution and realtive to my peers. I approached my then boss with my case clearly articulated, he wasn’t really interested but did then to go on and complain, in the conversation, about the price of his new pool going in.
    I resigned an hour later and was gone in 2 weeks.
    FF 8 years and he was working for me and needed me to play ball for him to retire …..

alexxx

Don’t get too carried away Boba thats what I do! 😉 It can be pretty stressful unless you’ve an appetite from constant problem solving with a handful of patience.

Provides some nice freedoms though – like working from anywhere!

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

You didn’t make the mistake of wearing flat shoes did you?

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

Provides some nice freedoms though – like working from anywhere!

I worked with an Italian recently, based in London. All Skype and Dropbox, really nice work. He’s now hopped to Madrid for a bit, paying the bills from another country. Fair play fella, fair play.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Its not the only job out there.

Jack it in, grab your bike by the bars and head out and have fun whilst looking for something else.

growinglad

You never know until you try. Good luck!

tinribz

Sadly that’s 90% of life these days.

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

I started 2 years ago as manufacturing manager reporting to the UK ops director who reported to the global ops director who reported to the CEO. There was also a supply chain manager and quality manager. The UK Ops director quit nearly 2 years ago, the Global Ops director who started 2 years ago, quit 6 months later, neither has been replaced. I’ve taken on the supply chain managers role and much of the UK Ops director role and now get ranted at by the CEO, the part time UK MD is about to retire, the quality manager quit on Tuesday and the replacement UK Ops Director due to start in March quit before he started!

I’m getting out, be interesting to know who’ll take on my extended role, I would speak to HR but the UK HR manager was constructively dismissed last year.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The final straw, looking for another job’ is closed to new replies.