• This topic has 33 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The FedEx guy just brought me…
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

…the frame for my Idaho bikepacking trip.

A random plea here on Sunday night yielded gold. Teetosugars pointed me in the direction of the last NOS slate blue large El Mariachi frame in the country. I phone Sideways Cycles first thing yesterday and it arrived this afternoon. I like the understated colour more than this years model.

Now the hard bit is to resist building it up when I have a dozen other ‘more important’ things to attend to.

kcal

yay!

SidewaysTim

Gosh, didn’t realise I was dealing with the woodpile guy 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Get it built 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fargo foe Sale?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Gosh, didn’t realise I was dealing with the woodpile guy

8)

Fargo foe Sale?

I’ll hang on to it, I’ve enjoyed it for touring off road with panniers.

Get it built

I’ve got pictures to finish for a show, the Land Rover is crumbling into a bucket of rust with its MOT retest due on Friday….

…maybe if I just put the seat post in….

fasthaggis

I thought you would get a Shand for that trip 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I thought you would get a Shand for that trip

It’s on my wish list. I’d hate to get something Steve made get trashed or lost by baggage handlers though

khani
    Free Member

Is it built yet?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is it built yet?

Seat post and saddle are on. It’s too dark to paint, too cold to weld the Land Rover, I foresee some building this evening. 😀

khani
    Free Member

😀

Speshpaul

one of those books is a little out of line with the others.

chrismac

Im sorry, but what jobs can you possibly have to do that are more important than building your bike?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Great stuff!! Look forward to seeing it built up!

ElShalimo

Is that an Ikea table on tressles ?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Wow, arrived quicker than my new White Industry hubs. Tim, check under the counter again 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is that an Ikea table on tressles ?

Yes, someone offered me it when I built the studio. I’m not a fan of flat pack stuff but it fulfils it purpose well there until I find something else.

The urge to build up my frame was way stronger than my need to get my accounts up to date by the stove.

I’ve been collecting a random mix of parts from classifieds over the last few weeks. A slightly shorter stem, chain and cassette and some cables and I’ll be ready to roll. I snaffled the wheels off the Fargo as a standby but I’ll build something lighter later.

The frame itself is a gem.

khani
    Free Member

😀 nice..

Bregante

Lovely colour

tootallpaul

Lovely- is that a singlular fork?

And are you going to get it matched to frame colourwise?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yes it’s a Singular fork. I like the subtle colour shift.

kcal

might have some bits if you’re stuck mcmoonter – usually seem to have a spare odd part tucked away 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Risers for touring?

trail_rat
    Free Member

why ever not ? tourings just something you do on a bike – you dont have to have defacto butterfly bars just because its the done thing…..

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing to do with fashion, I just thought it an odd choice given that risers are all about control on tech stuff, which is not the usual touring aim.

I’d have flats and bar ends on that. Far more comfortable for long miles, for me.

nickwatson
    Free Member

That’ll look nice with a Thomson stem 😀

Nick

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice to see those grips finding a home! Looks sweet.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure if I should have flat bars or risers. I found them cheaply on ebay. All my other bikes have a riser bar but I’ve never given it any thought. The only concern I have is that I will want to use some sort of bar bag. Most likely a Sweet Roll from Revelate. Do these fit better to a flat or riser bar, is there an optimum width too?

That’ll look nice with a Thomson stem

Nick

Waits for the postman.

Nice to see those grips finding a home! Looks sweet.

They feel great!

kcal

My XC ‘race’ (hah!) bike has flat bars, but the SS – which can shift along as well – has slight riser bars, find them more comfortable for longer day rides TBH, and suits the bike well – wouldn’t be able to comment on the control / tech aspect 🙂

heuer27
    Free Member

Keep the bars old school narrow. I started off with 680mm bars and on a touring bike it felt way too wide when loaded up. Got them at about 600mm now feels much better and you really notice the aerodynamic advantage when chundering along all day. Also gets you a bit more upright so you can see the scenery.

AlexSimon

Forget the bike – that repurposed gym floor looks fantastic!

molgrips
    Free Member

Bar ends are a big plus on long days Imo. Being able to rest your palms on the corner is really comfy. The ergon grips with the stubby bit also look good.

heuer27
    Free Member

I’ve got the stubby bar end version and they are great, even with my huge hands (XXL). I have them on a set of risers and are all day comfy. Did john o’groats back home this year on that setup so about 400mls in total over 6 days .

kcal

Very short Specialized bar ends – got them for my son’s bike – just enough of a bar end to alter hand / arm position, but quite shaped and flattened as well.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘The FedEx guy just brought me…’ is closed to new replies.