Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 2,117 total)
  • The F1 Thread…
  • ampthill

Thanks folks.

I have to say that a turbo boost pressure limit might be easier to work with than a flow meter

pondo

You say that… I’m sure I remember stories of teams designing intake manifolds to put the pop-off valve in as low a pressure place as possible. Give em a rule and they’ll do what they can to get round it. 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Pre-ignition/detonation is not an issue with direct injection engines. Detonation is an issue if you induct a fuel air mixture prior to compressing it. With direct injection the fuel is only injected it at the point you want it to combust, and can be sprayed in after initial ignition as the piston is descending. That was the biggest technological leap forward that took Diesel engines out of the smelly, noisy, dirty pinging lazy lumps they were to today’s smooth running and quiet engines.

So it could be feasible for the engines to run high boost pressures on normal octane fuel. Not sure how high boost pressures they’re actually running. Downside to running too much boost is increased combustion temperatures ( therefore reducing engine durability) and heavier engines due to the higher stresses.

thegreatape
    Free Member
    pondo

Downside to running too much boost is increased combustion temperatures ( therefore reducing engine durability)

I’m of the understanding that, back in the day, fuel was actually a cooling agent, I guess based on the quantities they were pouring into them. Not so much of an option these days, I s’pose.

zokes
    Free Member

Red Bull tantrum?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Governing body, the FIA, warned Red Bull in Australia that all teams had been told they must stick to the readings given by the official sensor.
    Red Bull ignored the readings and ran the car according to readings given by their own measurements.

Reads very much like his toys have left the pram…. what a [bunch of] nobs. Good ferkin riddance if that’s the way they see it.

pondo

Gotta be said, to say that one race after four years of dominance does not paint him in a positive light.

shermer75
    Free Member

Gotta be said, to say that one race after four years of dominance does not paint him in a positive light.

My thoughts exactly

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I can hardly see the FIA getting to fussed if red bull did decide to leave (not that it’s in anyway a genuine threat, IMO) , they’re hardly part of the sports heritage like ferrari or mclaren. I for one wouldn’t miss them.

the-muffin-man

Reads very much like his toys have left the pram…. what a [bunch of] nobs. Good ferkin riddance if that’s the way they see it.

+1

They came into the sport offering a fun, cool and a new way of operating. All they’ve done is proven that the likes of Ferrari, McLaren and Williams are the real heart of F1.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Looks like he is flexing his muscles so he can join the top table with the old boys. F1 would feel it if he pulled both his teams but someone else would buy them and the show will go on.

Bigger impact if the little silver satan goes away for a while. Imagine the power struggle without Bernie keeping order…

ampthill

Pre-ignition/detonation is not an issue with direct injection engines. Detonation is an issue if you induct a fuel air mixture prior to compressing it. With direct injection the fuel is only injected it at the point you want it to combust, and can be sprayed in after initial ignition as the piston is descending. That was the biggest technological leap forward that took Diesel engines out of the smelly, noisy, dirty pinging lazy lumps they were to today’s smooth running and quiet engines.

Apparently that’s not true for a thing like an F1 engine

According to brother in law (and i will check) the problem is you still need time for mixing. 15,000 rpm is i think quite differnt to say 6,500 in a diesel.

The numbers are 15,000 rpm is 125 hz or 4 milliseconds to go round once. Or 90 degrees of rotation every millisecond. The problem is that if you inject late enough to avoid knock then you don’t have enough time for fuel air mixing. This is probably made worse by the fact that you are trying to make max power from a certain rate of fuel delivery. Incomplete mixing will reduce effeciency

I myself wouldn’t believe tha knock was an issue it but his academic field is combustion physics. His research method is filming flame propagation in engines as the run. Shell have just checked his research kitty another 3 million to do work on their fuels. So convincing him he is wrong won’t be easy andto be honest its unlikely that he is wrong. But if you can come up with a convincing argument I’ll give it a go

knocking also gets a mention in this renault press release

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/22/renault-energy-f1-2014-power-unit-official/

bigdean

Anyone read race engine technology? They did a good article on f1 v8s, at 20000rpm it was basicly desieling because there isnt enough time for anything else.
    This is why they now have the massive fuel pressures so that they can use small pulse widths direct injecting.

Modern desiels multi inject now, once to initiate combustion then again further round the stroke. Can see this adopted (if its not already) in f1.

People forget modern cars are operationaly more tchnical than the old v8s with variable valve timing direct injection etc, though they used advanced materials, coatings and production methods for race apllication.

JCL
    Free Member

pondo – Member

They wouldn’t have dominated last year if hadn’t thrown a wobbly and got the tyres changed…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Getting the tyres changed was another example of muscle flexing.

The strong teams get the rules changed to show they were innovative, the weak get proved to have cheated, it will be an interesting face off.

Remember the flames in the Bematon pit which was caused by them cheating by interfering with the filler?
    They were a weak team because they got fined even when they showed the fault had nothing to do with ey tinkering and the FIA introduced fire proofs for all in the pits

the_lecht_rocks

So, wet qualifying… Any predictions ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Button

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Should the safety car be a Toyota Prius these days? & not sound soooo sexy…

wukfit
    Free Member

No qualifying today (my prediction), they have about 3 hours of daylight left at the moment
    Or they may end up running Q3 tomorrow?

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

How good is this year’s William’s livery, so good to see Martini’s colours back sponsoring top level motorsport.

allthepies
    Free Member

Cheeky Nico 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Yep Williams looks awesome and it’s going well. I hope they can get closer to the top this season …..

bruneep

Missed what he said

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Here we go….

allthepies
    Free Member

Missed what he said

Commented on Suzi Perry wearing a white top in a monsoon.

yetidave
    Free Member

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/26756573?SThisEM

I have say Lee wearing her lab stuff is hot…

slackalice
    Free Member

Looks like the Beeb have got their F1 viewing demographic sussed then. 😉

Moving onto the actual event, I missed qualifying, so have just checked the grid list. Are RB still using their own method of fuel flow? Vettel seems very close in time, although by the looks of it, it was heaving down with rain and full wets.

Surprised not to see Button higher up, although something about him choosing inter’s rather than everyone else with full wets.

I’m yet to be convinced as to how different this year will pan out to the last few years, would love to see Williams in amongst the front and for Hulkenburg to show his skills with some strong finishes this year.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Loved the Lotus tweets during P3

zokes
    Free Member

Anyone up and watching back home?

anagallis_arvensis

Groesjon or whatever his name is wins the prize for nonchalent arm crossing. Masa fastest arm crosser.

zokes
    Free Member

Webber Mk II ahead of finger pointer 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Bugger, that didn’t last long…

Pook

Shame for ricciardo

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

This race needs rain now

Pook

“Valterri is faster than you”.

Bit of a kick in the balls

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Good lad 😀

thepurist

Looks like RedBull have found the “Ozzy spec” parts cupboard again.

stumpy01
    thepurist

And now a 10 place grid penalty for Bahrain – I reckon his mechanics are running a book on when he stops smiling…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 2,117 total)

The topic ‘The F1 Thread…’ is closed to new replies.