Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 2,117 total)
  • The F1 Thread…
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

As a massive Hamilton fan found the last few laps very stressful, great race for him after starting from the pit lane. Good to see him get a bit of good luck.

Thought Alonso was outstanding to go that far on those tyres, deserved podium for him.

Great race all round.

andyl
    Free Member

I do wonder about the outcome if Hamilton had pitted just before Rosberg, but that would depend on Rosberg still pitting once Hamilton was out of the way and if he did if Hamilton could get back out in front . He would have got past Alonso but without him in the way Ricardo may have got in the lead quicker and been further away and harder to catch.

Only managed to catch the last bit of the race but it had me on the edge of my seat. Now all he needs to do is drive like this when he’s had a good qualifying session.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Bad, bad, bad call from Mercedes to ask LH pull over for Rosberg. Says it all really, they’re backing Rosberg over HL. No way was Rosberg pressuring Hamilton at that point”…….. And there’ no other competition for the championship either. So no reason for team orders, other than favouring Rosberg. Hamilton must be pissed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    back2basics
    Free Member

riccardo, what a move on Hamilton, awesome…
    strange lewis didn’t punt him onto the grass but did it to his team mate just a lap later
    the nico team order was because THE TEAM were trying to win the race and beat alonso and riccardo, they knew with lewis strategy he would not beat them, however before I get flamed by lewislovers , I did not think nico was close enough and he would not have got past riccardo anyway.
    The other theory could be that the team know lewis is leaving at the end of the season and are now backing nico
    ok ok ok im just trying for winding up the L fan club…

edit..and if Lewis talks about luck, let’s talk about how 2 safety cars helped him out just as nico had passed pit entry, otherwise it could have been a different story
    double edit.. and not smacking the barrier because of rookie error on cold brakes

jota180
    Free Member

Bad, bad, bad call from Mercedes to ask LH pull over for Rosberg. Says it all really, they’re backing Rosberg over HL. No way was Rosberg pressuring Hamilton at that point”…….. And there’ no other competition for the championship either. So no reason for team orders, other than favouring Rosberg. Hamilton must be pissed.

Moving Hamilton over would have resulted in a better result for the team as a whole, that’s why the decision was taken. They thought better of it once they thought about Hamilton’s response.
    They weren’t favouring Rosberg, just the bottom line.

edit..and if Lewis talks about luck, let’s talk about how 2 safety cars helped him out just as nico had passed pit entry, otherwise it could have been a different story

If being passed the pit entrance for that first safety car was the reason for Rosberg not being at the front, how on earth did Alonso manage it in his works tractor?

skiboy
    Free Member

I’ve deleted my post

jota180
    Free Member

What Lewis did was to deny the team the win. That isn’t great really is it ?

.. and yet the team’s non-exec chairman thinks Lewis did the right thing, so do I.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207156/1/lauda-hamilton-was-right-to-defy-team.html

trout
    Free Member

But what if they had pitted the in front Lewis for the softs then pitted the behind Nico for the softs they just might have had a 1/2

the single Strategist seems a bad move on Mercs team

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ifs buts maybes.

Would Rosberg have moved over for Hamilton? I doubt it.

Probably payback for Monaco in Hamiltons mind.

ctk
    Free Member

Nothing compared to what Rosberg did in Monaco.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

‘The team’ did not ned it, really, it didn’t. If anyone thinks there’s another team in the race for the championship – I’d like some of what their smoking 😉 and lauda agrees.

I thought Rosbergs sour grapes was a bit lame, how many laps was he stuck behind Verne? As soon a Rosberg pitted, Hamilton shot past Verne – that’s how it looked on the highlights anyway.

Hamilton getting 3rd from the pit lane was simply amazing, Rosbergs. 4th from pole was less amazing.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Hamilton was totally correct to not let Rosberg by. As has been said Rosberg was not close enough to be pressuring Hamilton … And Hamilton would actually have had to Slow down…. Which is unacceptable !

jambalaya
    Free Member

Moving Hamilton over would have resulted in a better result for the team as a whole, that’s why the decision was taken.

What @jota says. IMO Hamilton is out of control. I don’t know what his contract says regarding team orders etc but it’s totally unacceptable to me for a driver to disobey orders given by the race team. What this season has shown is that Hamilton is no where near as good as he thinks he is. With equally good cars the two Mercedes drivers have been pretty equal over the course of the season, this is not how it’s supposed to be on “planet Hamilton”

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Did you actually watch the race???

jonnouk
    Free Member

Last -> 3rd x2

vs

1st -> 1st and 1st -> 4th.

Just out of curiosity, i wonder if today was the only time a merc got ahead of the other, at the finish, this season (excluding dnfs).

jota180
    Free Member

What this season has shown is that Hamilton is no where near as good as he thinks he is.

Oh, I don’t think any of the drivers are as good as they think they are, having an ego as big as the moon pretty much goes with the job.
    I’m yet to see Rosberg beat Hamilton when they’re in close company, I think he’s a better racer than Rosberg.
    Rosberg may take a more clinical approach to hitting all the sector times etc. but there’s little excitement in that for me.

IMO Hamilton is out of control. I don’t know what his contract says regarding team orders etc but it’s totally unacceptable to me for a driver to disobey orders given by the race team.

Drivers do it all the time, e.g. Massa in Malaysia and Vettel in China, we don’t hear most of the orders.
    Merc made an error asking Lewis to let Rosberg through, technically it was correct in order to give them the best points haul but they quickly realised that it wouldn’t help the long term position, as Lauda said, decisions are made very quickly and sometimes they have to re-think – that’s what they did here.

Just out of curiosity, i wonder if today was the only time a merc got ahead of the other, at the finish, this season (excluding dnfs).

Bahrain

hora
    Free Member

Sorry the last two races are showing Lewis and us what maturity can do. His raw speed and thinking = …

boltonjon

First off, I’m a Williams fan – so not a great race for me

But, Hamilton showed Rosberg how to drive when he attacked and passed Vergne in half a lap

Rosberg made 2 half arsed attempts in 6 laps

Says it all about Rosberg’s killer instinct…

Lewis made the right call to ignore team orders

hora
    Free Member

If Lewis had complied guess what the world (inc Merc) would have thought of him. A ‘team player’ and ‘a nice man’. F1 with all its ‘team’ is not a team game. Its win. Win Win.

retro83
    Free Member

Ricciardo is rapidly gaining my respect. He seems to quite adept at reading the race, keeping himself in contention then making moves when the timing is right. Skilful moves to pass two world champions and take the win.

johndoh
    Free Member

Skilful moves to pass two world champions

Skilful moves Much fresher tyres to pass two world champions

back2basics
    Free Member

Much fresher tyres to pass two world champions

And just how many countless moves as Hamilton done with that too and yet hes a fekin “miracle driver”

lets not forget the famous Mansell on Senna move in the very same track we just watched, that was also due to fresher tyres if memory serves he had to pit and recover a 25 second gap to senna

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I couldn’t figure out why Hamilton was put the the worse tyre?

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t actually understand either of the last two posts 😥

boltonjon

futon river crossing – Member
    I couldn’t figure out why Hamilton was put the the worse tyre?

If he’d gone out on the soft tyre then he would have needed another stop – which would have put him behind Rosberg & Riccardo

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Jenson is keeping his head down.

He pitted at the same time as the race winner and could have been up there with him at the end. Barmy call to put inters on with a drying track and everyone else on dry’s.

He must be furious.

hora
    Free Member

Missed that. So Mclaren are still doing their dumb pitstops

richmtb

The reason Nico didn’t win the race was that he spent 18 laps behind JEV in the Toro Rosso. Lewis dispatched him in 4 corners.

Brilliant race though.

I’d have been happy to see any of the top three win. Lewis what a drive to end up on the podium from the pitlane. Alonso – the driver’s driver – really deserved a podium after battling so hard in a lacklustre Ferrari (while his team mate is virtually AWOL). But Danny Ricciardo showed his class again.

Meanwhile somewhere in Milton Keynes today…

RING RING
    RING RING
    “G’ day”
    “Mark! its Seb!, How is it going?”
    “Err…”
    “Mark! Listen, would you like to come back and be my team mate again?”
    “Err…”
    “C’Mon Mark, For sure it will be great. Remember the laughs we had Multi 21, the Turkish GP. C’mon Mark.”
    CLICK!
    “Mark! Mark!?… Scheisse!”

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

this year has shown what a mess the mercedes management are. Clearly the executive director (business) now makes the call. In the background you have the chairman giving out his expert opinions meanwhile Executive director (technical) tries to manage the race in accordance to directive from above.

I guess it might have been different if Ross brawn was still there. I reckon Toto has bought himself a position on the pitwall which he couldn’t have at Williams.

The we must rethink our approach is laughable seeing that they must have seen this coming from the start and the “we let our drivers race” is a joke.

Its funny to see the drivers leading the management on how they should run a team. If it wasnt for the engineering team producing one of the best cars on the grid and the drivers producing the goods I wouldve fired the directors already.
    Good luck Lewis as it seems the management are clueless on who is the fastest driver!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Did you actually watch the race???

@futon, in fairness to you only some highlights so I didn’t get the whole context. I am not a supporter of Hamilton after his hissy fit’s at Maclaren and subsequent departure. It may well be his contract allow him discretion to ignore such orders (requests?).

njee20
    Free Member

He pitted at the same time as the race winner and could have been up there with him at the end. Barmy call to put inters on with a drying track and everyone else on dry’s.

He must be furious.

He’s in a car which is off the pace, by doing the same as everyone else he would never have won, by gambling on the rain starting again, as forecast, and thus fitting inters he faced a chance of winning. Gamble didn’t work. C’est la vie.

What this season has shown is that Hamilton is no where near as good as he thinks he is. With equally good cars the two Mercedes drivers have been pretty equal over the course of the season, this is not how it’s supposed to be on “planet Hamilton”

Unless the highlights you saw were 10 seconds long I assume you saw he started from the pits, then spun on the second corner, then worked his way up to beat his team mate who started from pole…? But for some very shagged tyres on the last few laps he had a real chance of winning.

He was given the ‘order’ to let Rosberg through when Rosberg was still a couple of seconds adrift, team made a snap decision, as did Hamilton, in the event Hamilton was right. It’s not like he was holding Rosberg up after all.

johndoh
    Free Member

He’s in a car which is off the pace, by doing the same as everyone else he would never have won, by gambling on the rain starting again, as forecast, and thus fitting inters he faced a chance of winning. Gamble didn’t work. C’est la vie.

Yup, if the rain had come (as was rated probable at the time the decision was made) then it would have been hailed a tactical masterstroke. Not long after they had pitted the radio message came out saying that the rain was less probable.

mactheknife

I am no fanboy, infact i cant stand Hamilton TBH. But this year he has shown just how lightening fast he is. He makes other great drivers look pretty average ( yes i know he has the best car). He is slowly learning to just get on with things and not act like a whiney 5 year old when things are not 100% perfect. He is also very good for F1 as a whole. The amount of people who tune in just to watch him battle it out is pretty unreal. He is a true racer IMO.

Now i was always a bit of a fanboy of Button, again i don’t know why but i saw on one of the sites that amongst the many many rumours going around at the moment is one that that Grosjean is looking for a drive away from Lotus next year, i think McLaren would be a very good place for him, take Buttons seat and there will be a very good pairing at McLaren.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The context is this – the team don’t need orders to secure the constructors championship, the drivers championship will be won by either of their drivers.

Additional context, Rosberg couldn’t pass Verne for how many laps???? That’s why he didn’t win the race right there. Hamilton passed Verne in 4 corners and showed what can do, he also got a lot more out his tyres than expected.

Yet more context, Rosberg wasn’t challenging Hamilton for the position. If Rosberg was faster, why wasn’t”t he all over Hamilton??

Final context: Lauda said it was a mistake, the team have publicly said it was a mistake ……. Though privately they wanted Rosberg to increase his lead ???

richmtb

Now i was always a bit of a fanboy of Button, again i don’t know why but i saw on one of the sites that amongst the many many rumours going around at the moment is one that that Grosjean is looking for a drive away from Lotus next year, i think McLaren would be a very good place for him, take Buttons seat and there will be a very good pairing at McLaren.

Not going to happen Jenson-san will be in the McLaren for the first year of Honda engines. Guaranteed

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve never really warmed to Hamilton in previous seasons, but he drove extremely hard to make it to the podium from what was last place – and not forgetting that he’d spun early on too, which would rattle most drivers.

As for Button, it’s pretty obvious that he’ll be elsewhere in 2015. It’s a shame, his driving style belies his pace and until now he’s been a good fit at McLaren.

jonnouk
    Free Member

@jambalaya

Are you going to write him off forever for his final years at mclaren, where the car was on a gradual decline? I too had written off Alonso because of his whining/extra help at Renault but his performance over the last 3 years puts hims tied #1 with Hamilton in my book. They both whine, Alonso over the radio, Hamilton in interviews, so what. I want to watch them race.

back2basics
    Free Member

The context is this – the team don’t need orders to secure the constructors championship, the drivers championship will be won by either of their drivers.

Actually thats a load of rubbish – the context is that the FIA will stop at nothing to change rules midseason to stop boring championship, its happened in the past and will happen in the future, so The TEAM must try to secure drivers or constructors titles ASAP!
    If thats means stepping on Lewis’ rather large Ego to put the title leading contender in P1 then thats what they should do.
    Mercedes as a team has not won a title for a long, long , long time, they should do what must in order to secure it as soon as they can.

Entonox
    Free Member

Mercedes rethink team orders

They’ve also got to protect the brand. Ferrari did a lot of damage to themselves in the way they handled ‘team orders’.

chrismac

I think Button will want to stay with McLaren next year as the new engine provider will give him all the cover /excuses he needs for another lackluster season. If he goes to another team with an existing driver and a stable car then it all gets a bit harder to find someone else to blame.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 2,117 total)

The topic ‘The F1 Thread…’ is closed to new replies.