Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,117 total)
  • The F1 Thread…
  • hora
    Free Member

I’m going with a suspended sentence due to his age.

the-muffin-man

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, the first reports suggest that the trumpet makes no real difference to the sound.

Talk about classic F1 political stupidity though. They could be shouting about how clever the sport is to have made the engines 30% more efficient and that they’re going to save the planet(!), instead they’re complaining that they’re not noisy enough 🙄

back2basics
    Free Member

not good for McLaren
    No title sponsor
    although Alonso will bring his big Spanish sponsorship back with him 😉

Despite all the talk from Mercedes this week about teams catching up, i suspect they will still be well ahead unless we get safety car issues.
    I have a sneaky feeling Nico will dominate this weekend.

Would be interesting to see how a fully working Vettel will compare to Ricardo.

no Live BBC this weekend.

tightywighty
    Free Member

Good programme on ITV4 last night, Historic Monaco GP:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/monaco-historic-grand-prix

I think they do the historic race every two years but it’s the first time I’ve seen it on TV.

They had pre-40’s, 1960-66, 1970s in there. Great to watch the old beauties ragging around the harbour. Fair few crashes too, they weren’t holding back 😀

back2basics
    Free Member

a little article not making much press, an interview with the ousted Domencalli accidentally said he phoned Vettel on the day he left – asked to why he did that, he then said “you’ll have to find that out for yourself”

EDIT: this also leans a bit weight to the rumors Horner is taking bernie’s job next year and leaving RBR and Newey to Ferrari also – is this the end of RBR as we know it.

pondo

Good programme on ITV4 last night, Historic Monaco GP:

I saw a bit of that, fantastic stuff – and they weren’t hanging around either! Thought the chap in the Lotus 72 rather brought a gun to a knife fight… 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Is there a link for that article, back2basics?

hora
    Free Member

Good programme on ITV4 last night, Historic Monaco GP

I thought that was brilliant. Usually I’m not into historic as its big open tracks, cars not been driven tothe max etc but ^ was awesome. The sliding-Alfa/ERA battle was 😯 – the trust between those guys was ace.

The F1 ones was brilliant, wishing I was back in the days watching those formulas.

dc11
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member
    Is there a link for that article, back2basics?

This one, maybe? http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/domenicali-says-he-quit-f1-and-called-vettel/

sharkbait
    Free Member

Soooo……. Rosberg sets the fastest time and then make a mistake and ‘crashes’ at the point on the circuit where Hamilton is fastest (and is ahead on that lap) causing the yellow flags to come out and everyone behind to back off – inc LH.
    Did he do it on purpose? I think so. Used to think he was OK but now think he’s a kn0b.

legend
    Free Member

Good, F1 needs someone to get a bit ruthless and spice things up! Beats talking about the lack of noise all the time

slowoldman

Well if it was deliberate (and I’m not sure it was), it was definitely the best way to “affect” the whinging sod. Mentally he seems a bit fragile. He might think twice about going out last next time.

Rosberg is starting to come across as a bit of a prick to be honest. Hope Lewis shows him who the better driver is tomorrow.

tightywighty
    Free Member

Well judging by his sulk, Lewis thinks it was deliberate so should be some fireworks today 😀

Pook

You watch the in car replays. I’m certain he did it on purpose. There was far too much action on the steering wheel as he came down the hill – almost as if he was trying to hide what he was doing under a veil of indecision.
    Shame, cos as sharkbait says, I used to think he was ok.

Asked whether his relationship with Rosberg was “even more like Senna and Prost now”, Hamilton said after qualifying: “Essentially.”
    When it was suggested the two drivers would have to sit down and discuss the incident, Hamilton said: “I don’t know if Senna and Prost sat down and talked it out. I quite like the way Senna dealt with it, so I’m going to take a page out of his book.”

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The drivers know what the score was and DC certainly thought there was some inconsistency to his driving when they did the side by side VT comparison between his pole setting lap and his ‘off’ lap, he seemed to stop short of an accusation but he implied something odd went on. Same speed, same line, but some strange steering inputs on the approach to the corner……maybe to induce a front wheel lock up under braking dare I suggest, so that when they reviewed the data it wouldn’t show a deliberate and harsh brake input to lock the wheels up or risk locking more than one wheel so he didn’t crash into the barrier???

Anyway, he got away with it and Lewis can be all over his rear diffuser all race and won’t be able to pass. I hope he keeps his cool, comes in second if no opportunity presents itself, and takes it to the next round. Monaco is a nonsense of a GP anyway and it’s about time it was relegated to some sort of showcase event like Goodwood.

igm

Rosberg is starting to come across as a bit of a prick to be honest.

But not as much of a sulky child as Lewis gets when things don’t go his way.

nemesis
    Free Member

I can’t see that Nico did it on purpose – too many variables to be worthwhile imo, not to mention that it just doesn’t seem to match the way he’s operated thus far in his career.

Hamilton had every right to be hacked off though – Nico’s mistake robbed him of pole. It’s just one of those things that happens in motor sport but that doesn’t make it much easier to accept.

It’ll be interesting to see the start. I could see Nico giving up the first corner relatively easily if it’s a close run thing as he didn’t seem all that happy.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I don’t think Rosberg did it on purpose, but he could have been more gracious about getting a pole in dubious circumstances.

Like if a tennis player wins a point when the ball hits the net, he could have acknowledged the unfairness.

Rather than his stance of ‘I’m on pole and that’s what matters’

Lewis was very petulant; which could lead to some first corner fireworks.

Should be good.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t think Lewis was petulant. He clearly thought it was deliberate, and he was clearly pissed off about it, but he didn’t throw his toys, he just made no attempt to hide it, and why should he? No histrionics, no stomping and shouting, just kept his mouth shut as far as his speaking to the media obligations would allow him. I wouldn’t respect him for saying ‘It’s fine, we’re still best buddies’ if he didn’t feel like that.

tomhoward

In the press conference afterwards, Rosberg had all the look of a naughty kid who got away with raiding the sweetie jar. He said ‘when it happened I genuinely thought it was all over’. Aye I bet you did son, for Lewis! The way he celebrated getting out of the car was a clear message to Hamilton too.

As a lot of driver pundits said, the way he was sawing at the steering wheel before Mirabeau looks as though he is trying to unsettle the car, then he mashes at the brakes to lock the wheels. I reckon he could still have made the corner, but went for the bail out, then to make sure the flags continued to be waved, reversed back up the escape road when he could have taken it to the end and parked it. It’s not like he was in a rush to get back to the pits.

That plus the entire paddock, off the record, reckon it was deliberate…

Good to see Danny MacAskill getting some coverage on sky f1 too!

igm

And if it was deliberate?

You can only say well done, perfectly judged to get away with it then which takes some skill. And of course it would be in the tradition of all the great F1 drivers – Senna or Prost or Schumacher for example.

Man up Lewis, you got done in quali, but if you’re that much better than Nico (who was it saying he should be totally dominating Nico this week?) you get another go in the race.

thepurist

If it was deliberate then first off it was done so well that the stewards couldn’t see any evidence of it in the data (which includes steering inputs), secondly it was a fantastic piece of thinking to recognise that he was down on time at that point and despite very few people improving on their second run to know that lewis was (allegedly) up at that point. Even then driving to the end of the escape road was a dumb move – far better to catch an inside wheel on the kerb before the tunnel and end up sideways on the track or something – still minimal risk of damage but a believable mistake.

IMO the risk would outweigh the reward these days but then I’m not a highly competitive driver in the best car on the grid getting beaten by my team mate..m

shermer75
    Free Member

Shaping up to be a good race today 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

All the headlines and the Prost v Senn BS sounds more like a sport in need for some thing to distract from what looks like a forgone conclusion already.

Happy with what Lauda and Warwick said.

If it was the other way round and the petulant one had gone off, would we be saying the same thing?

stumpy01

Hmmm. I’m sure it’s great to be at the Monaco f1, but it’s always a virtual procession.

They should get rid, or alter the track (god knows how!) to make more overtaking opportunities…

moonboy
    Free Member

Ummm, say you didn’t have Sky but wanted to watch the race live…

stumpy01

Hmmm. Dunno. Do you know anyone with Sky Go? I’ve got a mate with a spare Sky Go licence so can watch it on my laptop.

rOcKeTdOg

They should get rid, or alter the track (god knows how!) to make more overtaking opportunities..

north shore style short cut over the swimming pool?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fun last 3 laps coming up…..?

theotherjonv

fortunately I didn’t make any mistakes

Pointed!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Kindergarten time – If you can meet with triumph and disaster……

back2basics
    Free Member

mommy mommy I got something in my eye

now lewis youve just ruined your tyres havnt you?

no mommy no

lewis

ok mommy your right but I cant admit it myself bevause my ego is sooo big at the moment I cannot accept why the team wont give everything to me and forget everyone else apart from me…and I wanaaaaa wiiiiiiin waaaaaaaaa
    waaaaaa
    waaaaaaaaa

mashiehood
    Free Member

both of them behaving like spoilt brats, Mercedes need to give them both a kick up the a**, stop the bickering in public and do their talking on the track!

slowoldman

back2basics – Member
    mommy mommy I got something in my eye

Tears?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I think he did it on purpose, and Lewis was right to call it how he did; no shouting or finger pointing, just a subtle yet clear message.

Monaco is a nonsense of a GP anyway

+1

slowoldman

Monaco and Spa are the only proper circuits left.

andytherocketeer

And possibly Monza.

Spa and Brands Hatch are still my favourite F1 circuits, if only because they have geographical relief.

slowoldman

Brands is a fabulous circuit. Vastly superior to some windswept desert up the M1. I was lucky enough to see a Grand Prix there. God I’m old.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,117 total)

The topic ‘The F1 Thread…’ is closed to new replies.