Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • The Expanse – Amazon Prime
  • macdubh

I’d red the books and enjoyed, watched Season 1 which was good, liked Season 2 but thought it hadn’t been renewed. Didn’t realise it had been commissioned for another two seasons. Half way through season 3 and I’m blown away with one of the best Sci-Fi shows out there. Does anyone else know about it / like it?

I also really liked the Witcher.

Yes i work in IT!

Poopscoop

Yep, been a few threads on here,I started one I think.lol

Not read the books but love the series.

Very thankful Prime picked it up.👍

Witcher isn’t my thing but different strokes for different folks.

rOcKeTdOg

Finished watching series 4 a couple of weeks ago, series 5 already commissioned.

Bobbie Draper ❤️

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Best sci-fi series in a long time IMO.

Kryton57

Bobbie Draper

Not the best Actress and a bit manly for my tastes.    Great series though, mid way through series three, I’ll be able to squeeze a couple more episodes in today I think.

argee

Love this show, thankfully amazon saved it from being left at the end of season 3. Just watched season 4, and although not as good as the others, you can see it’s been built around 2 seasons, so it’s almost the first half and season 5 will be the second half, so you can see why it went the way it did.

kimbers

Can’t wait for season 5 !!!!

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I hadn’t heard of this (books or show) until I saw the ad for season 4. Watched all four seasons over the christmas period – it’s awesome.

willard

Bobby Draper (in the books at least) was never really womanly, she was hardcore, so I think they did a decent job with who they found for TV, maybe a bit short, but you are not going to find two metre tall, 100kg women everywhere.

I’m really impressed with it still, despite reading the books after watching it. I really should finish season four though

hols2
    Free Member

I wouldn’t **** with her, unless she insisted.

null

smogmonster

A brilliant series, im halfway through Series 4 right now.

Kuco

I quite like Bobby and imo plays the part well.

In the first season they said about the Belters been really tall due to low gravity (I think I work with one who is 6’4″ and built like a bean pole) but never really noticed it in the other seasons.

northernmatt

I was distraught when Netflix canned it then when amazon picked it up I thought I’d refresh my memory and watch series 1&2 again, haven’t even managed to get onto series 3 yet so really need to get into it again.

Kryton57

To be fair I haven’t read the books, so if thats the nature of the character then obviously she’s doing well!   She a Boxer in her spare time also.

butcher

Watched about 5 episodes of The Expanse. Found it hard to get into it. I find in a lot of sci-fi the characters are void of any realistic emotion. I want to like it, so maybe I’ll give it another bash some time.

Two episodes into the Witcher and it comes across as fantasy aimed at teenage girls.

nash

I think it’s excellent, presenting a future that I find believable with great characters and storylines, especially when compared to Star Trek, which to me is a bit too wholesome and sterile – I’m amazed the SyFy channel cancelled it. My favourite character is Drummer, especially her rapport with Ashford over series 4. My only problem with it, having binge watched series 4 over the weekend it was released, is that I’ve got a year to wait for series 5!

To help fill the gap I started watching Dark Matter and although it took me a good few episodes to get into, it is well worth it for another vision of the future, which may be flawed in some places, but does present some interesting ideas. Trouble is with this series it’s another that got cancelled by SyFy after three series before the story arc concluded and wasn’t picked up by anyone else.

Anybody got any other science fiction recommendations?

hels
    Free Member

If you like the space opera schtick of Dark Matter you will probably like killjoys. The one with Starbuck out of BSG started well, Another Life.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Try Altered Carbon.

Or, if you haven’t ever seen it and you wanna go way back – Babylon 5.

Cougar

Firefly.

Farscape.

The rebooted BSG.

Not strictly sci-fi but Orphan Black is one of the best things I’ve watched in years.

Cougar

Star Trek, which to me is a bit too wholesome and sterile

There’s always Star Trek Discovery. Wholesome and sterile it ain’t.

rOcKeTdOg

Not the best Actress and a bit manly for my tastes.

If you find her beach wear modelling days photos you’ll see playing a hardcore bad-ass marine built like a brick out house is indeed good acting.

macdubh

Ooohh.. I didn’t like the look of altered Carbon when first release, then gave it a go. Awesome! Well worth watching but too short, hope there’s a season2.

Who said Witcher was for teen girls?? I think it showed a lot of promise and given another season or two will find its sweet spot.

Poopscoop

The only problem with loving SF tv shows is you always know there is a damned good chance they will get cancelled just as they start to get into their stride.😟

Kuco

Poopscoop two series I know of like that was the remake of V and Caprica. Both first seasons were shite but the second seasons were really good but by then both were cancelled.

mashr

Well worth watching but too short, hope there’s a season2.

This year I believe. However…. given the sleeving line I don’t believe we’ll recognise anyone other than flashback Kovacs!

nash

Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely check them out. I’m a massive Farscape fan, the Guardians of the Galaxy films owe it a big debt. Other favorites of mine are Blake’s 7 and Space 1999, both due for remakes I think(hope!).

It is amazing how many great sci-fi series have been dropped in their prime, guess it must be due to the costs of production, hopefully Amazon won’t splurge all their cash on football.

macdubh

Firefly is very good. Theres also a film, Serenity. Again tonnes of promise but cut short.

richmtb

Star Trek Discovery

Yeah not wholesome or sterile but also a bit of a mess. Season 2 is an improvement over Season 1 though.

I’m loving the Expanse, best Sci-Fi since BSG, but I’ve got to wait a while for season 5 now!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone watched Night flyers?

mashr

cloudnine

Subscriber

Anyone watched Night flyers?

Starts well, goes painfully bad quickly imo. Turns out that all George R. R. Martin does isn’t gold

BenjiM

I’ve really been enjoying the expanse until the other night I saw a trailer with spoilers for season 4, right at the start of part 7 of season 3, Amazon what the actual f!

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Just watched season 1 of the Expanse. Really reminiscent of old 2000AD strip Bad City Blue. Basically slums on asteroids.

The makers of the Expanse could quite easily do a one episode Bad City Blue spin-off starring Amos as Blue the Button Man.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Battlestar Galactica.

End of thread.

baboonz
    Free Member

The 100 is somewhat good, it’s looks and starts like a Space teen drama but it then takes a couple of pretty dark turns. The characters are also confronted with tough choices and the female lead does a good job at not being a Mary Sue.

Altere carbon is not bad either.

The new Star Trek was painful to watch.

Battle star galáctica is probably the one to go, unlike some other shoes it has aged pretty well.

Cougar

The new Star Trek was painful to watch.

Maybe half of the first season was painful to watch. The following series and a half was frikkin’ awesome.

funkmasterp

I’ve just binged the fourth season over a couple of days. Looking forward to the final book releasing later this month. Can’t wait to find out what happens.

I’m surprised that the Wool trilogy hasn’t been made in to a series yet. Wouldn’t be super expensive either. Not enough good sci-fi out there in my opinion. BSG started well and then disappeared up its own arse. It all got a bit too daft towards the end.

BruceWee

I wouldn’t recommend BSG to anyone purely because of the ending.

It was winding up to be one of the best SF shows of all time until they shat out an ending that, while it technically tied up all the loose ends, was just so lazy and moronic.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m struggling to like The Expanse, only 4 or 5 episodes in so hopefully it improves. I keep nodding off and the characters so far all seem very stereotypical to the point it’s aggravating. It’s like a crap version of Babylon 5…

Klunk
    Free Member

was just so lazy and moronic.

probably my biggest beef with most TV sifi/fantasy/super hero stuff is because you have to suspend disbelief that this somehow gives the writers carte blanche to write the dumbest plots and the most stupid characters imaginable.

IdleJon

I’m struggling to like The Expanse, only 4 or 5 episodes in so hopefully it improves.

Same here but I’m off work at the moment so have little else to watch. (My reading options are much better!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘The Expanse – Amazon Prime’ is closed to new replies.