Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • The English language. Loving it. Lots.
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Despite my regular failings with it I find it to be a box of delights.

Technically, a synecdoche is a part of the referent while a metonym is connected or associated but not necessarily a part of it.

In part down to re-reading Wolfe’s “From Bauhaus to Our House” over the weekend and I do love seeing Gropius get a critical kicking.

hols2
    Free Member

You do realize that “synecdoche” and “metonym” are of Greek origin, right? Hardly seem to illustrate English being anything special.

SaxonRider

@hols2: except in its fearless ability to confront other lexicons and appropriate their terms. I can’t think of another language that does that so prodigiously.

hols2
    Free Member

Over 50% of Japanese words are of Chinese origin. A whole lot more are from European languages.

hols2
    Free Member

On top of which, a lot of English speakers are very fearful of foreign languages, so “fearlessly” doesn’t quite seem right.

piemonster

I can’t see the OP describing English as a special language. Merely that they happen to like it. Lots.

I also can’t see why some words having their origins in other languages would be anything other than a good thing?

Any general lack of foreign language skills is also not a fault of the English language.

What I’m trying to say is, what is your point caller?

tjagain

English does have a larger vocabulary than most languages dues to being a mix of other european languages.

rickmeister

Well at a lower level… It seems much simpler than the train crash which is German that I’m trying to learn..
    Articles, cases and word order for starters. How much needs changing for simple sentences… At least it’s recognizable letters, not characters.

Drac

You do realize that “synecdoche” and “metonym” are of Greek origin, right? Hardly seem to illustrate English being anything special.

Breaking News from hols2. English language contains some words of Greek origin.

hols2
    Free Member

I can’t see the OP describing English as a special language. Merely that they happen to like it. Lots.

Everyone loves their native language. It’s kinda like everyone’s dad is the coolest dad in the world (but only to you).

English does have a larger vocabulary than most languages

Based on what? Did you look up an academic study for that or just pull it out of your arse?

English language contains some words of Greek origin.

Which means that those particular words aren’t a manifestation of anything special about English. If you want to show that English is special, it would be more convincing if you pointed out some feature that was unique to English, not borrowed from another language.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve heard that English is remarkable in the variety of different word influences over history, and that it is hard to learn because there aren’t enough rules or rather too many exceptions.

I love reading stuff like the warnings or instructions on packages that are in different languages and seeing how they are constructed differently, and sometimes actually saying slightly different things.

nickc

I’ve heard that English is remarkable

Perhaps in the way it doesn’t follow its own rules or pronunciations maybe

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I wish I knew a second language well enough to appreciate the finer points, but I don’t so I make do with English and don’t feel shortchanged except by my inabilities. Somedays it really lifts my spirits to read something by a writer using his words precisely.
    It does matter – ask Giles Coren : https://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/jul/23/mediamonkey

tjagain

A little aggressive Hols!

Its one of those things you hear but on looking a bit deeper its actually hard to define in linguistic terms as some languages use compound words ( isd that the right term?) so it really depends on definitions. I have seen it stated tho that English has a larger vocabularly because it will have words for the same concept from different languages. Take ” sea mist” for example – this can also be “Haar” or “fret”

Drac

Which means that those particular words aren’t a manifestation of anything special about English. If you want to show that English is special, it would be more convincing if you pointed out some feature that was unique to English, not borrowed from another language.

The OP stated why they like the English language nothing about it being unique. You’re effectively telling them that they shouldn’t like it because it has origins elsewhere.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’ve always found this a fascinating subject and can heartily recommend Melvyn Bragg’s The Adventure of English. He really gets over the point of where English actually starts. There’s very little of anything the Britons would have spoken, the closest being Gaelic, Welsh and Cornish. Very little of Roman and Viking origin either, except in place names.The core of it being, as a German lady I met once, an underdeveloped German. Then Norman french. I think it’s only later when Latin and Greek started being incorporated. You then get a sense that American English is closer to the English from around the time of independence. Add into that all the other pidgins, creoles etc. and it’s a great subject.

molgrips
    Free Member

Did he say it was special? I didn’t detect anything suggesting exceptionalism in his post. I think the interesting (note, not ‘special’ or superior in any way) thing about English is the sheer amount of stuff it’s borrowed from different language families. And possibly the number of alternative ways of saying stuff. Of course, all languages have their interesting things, so it’s not a brag.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Who cares? I’m off to see Susie Dent in Basingstoke next Wednesday so I’m sure I’ll get loads of ‘interesting’ facts to bore people with.

Edukator
    Free Member

So Brexiter Eddiebaby loves his English and loves to see a German genius getting a critical kicking from, well, Virginia Wolfe. When I walk into any modern building I see Gropius not Wolfe, so we know whose heritage is lasting.

Learn a few other languages Eddie, lots of boxes of delights to be opened.

hols2
    Free Member

I have seen it stated

Where? I’ve seen it stated that vaccinations cause autism. Just because someone can type it and post it on the internet doesn’t mean we should believe it.

hols2
    Free Member

Ken Kesey was once asked about Tom Wolfe and Hunter S. Thompson. He said something along the lines of “Cream rises, shit floats. Hunter Thompson is cream.”

scc999

Wow.  Got to love STW.

From someone stating that he loves the English language we then get angry posts telling him it’s not special and anything ther telling him to learn other languages along with a reference to him being pro brexit??

Good job he didn’t say he loved riding his hard tail in the Peak.  He’d have been told that England is nothing special, Italy has far better places to ride.  And then that he should learn to trail run.  Or something…..

Some quite bizarre responses to a pretty innocuous OP.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Over 50% of Japanese words are of Chinese origin. A whole lot more are from European languages.

More than 50%? Is maths your failing here, or is it language?

hols2
    Free Member

we then get angry posts telling him it’s not special

Nobody’s angry. Just amused that the things that he loves so much about English actually come from another language.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have seen it stated

Where?

Does it bloody matter? This isn’t a court of law. He probably doesn’t remember where he read it, guessing that like me he doesn’t exhaustively index and cross-reference every fact in case some irritable sod on the internet jumps down his throat for posting it one day.

General chit chat would be a lot harder if everything had to be referenced, independently verified and scrutinised by the opposition. Perhaps you’re trying to kill off such frivolous activities? Not sure why, this is a forum explicitly for that purpose. Why are you here?

Just amused that the things that he loves so much about English actually come from another language.

Why?

I like eating pasta in a restaurant in Cardiff, but it comes from Italy. Am I allowed to say that without being ridiculed?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nobody’s angry. Just amused that the things that he loves so much about English actually come from another language.

Indo-European??

hols2
    Free Member

Sorry, that would be clearer if it said, “a lot of additional words are from European languages.” Thanks for pointing out how confusing that is.

hols2
    Free Member

I like eating pasta in a restaurant in Cardiff, but it comes from Italy. Am I allowed to say that without being ridiculed?

Of course you can. But if you said, “English food is wonderful. I like eating pasta in a restaurant in Cardiff”, people would probably be quite amused.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thing I like about Japanese is that once you have a few words of it, you’ll get by anywhere in the world.

piemonster

Pasta, may well have not been the best example. Certainly not Italian if you’re going down to an absurdly reductive position.

Might even (probably not) be Chinese as a food stuff depending on who you want to believe.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’ll always be welcomed anywhere if you turn up with a bag of pasta.

hols2
    Free Member

Might even (probably not) be Chinese

According to my Chinese friend, everything was invented in China and stolen by foreigners. If you question him, he will show you internet sources proving it.

johnners
    Free Member

So Brexiter Eddiebaby loves his English and loves to see a German genius getting a critical kicking from, well, Virginia Wolfe.

I think it was Tom rather than Virginia.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Lots of grandiose verbosity on show by team politics at the moment, with hollow bellowing typical of their gasconade

#putthethesaurusdown

Nico
    Free Member

On top of which, a lot of English speakers are very fearful of foreign languages

They’ll be the ones using “gifted” instead of “given” or “donated”. I doubt they’ll be using synecdoche on a regular basis.

Use of pogonotomy is, however, often a double-edged blade.

mariner
    Free Member

“L’anglais n’est que du français mal prononcé” ?

Cougar

You’ll always be welcomed anywhere if you turn up with a bag of pasta.

That’s probably fortunate, otherwise they’be on their own and feeling cannelloni.

Nico
    Free Member

That reads well to me. The “more” doesn’t mean more than 50%, just “a whole lot more words” i.e. in addition to the words of Chinese origin.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m most entertained by all this. I really thought there’d be a lot more abuse about the architecture content. But what the heck I never even knew Virginia Wolfe wrote about the subject.

So Brexiter Eddiebaby loves his English and loves to see a German genius getting a critical kicking from, well, Virginia Wolfe. When I walk into any modern building I see Gropius not Wolfe, so we know whose heritage is lasting.

You should try the book at some point Edukator (I assume that’s an aspiration rather then a job description) it charts the rise of modernism in architecture quite well.

Edukator
    Free Member

I think it was Tom rather than Virginia.

You’re right, which puts in perspective how (un)famous Tom is. Having never heard of Tom I assumed Virginia as a contempory of Gropius.

Edit: different cultural references, Eddie. Tom Wolfe means nothing to me, “Edukator” didn’t immediately make you think of this film:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘The English language. Loving it. Lots.’ is closed to new replies.