Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • the end of woodburners / open fires is nigh
  • Drac

I hope it’s an ugly stove though sharkbait.

jim25

is it? cleaner air. blah blah blah

No it isn’t.
    Great media scare monger following there.
    They are just changing the type of fuel available to buy.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I hope it’s an ugly stove though sharkbait.

Mingin

Drac

Phew! That’s ok then keep burning.

convert

Actually reread the BBC article on this.

It says any sale of wood in loads below 2m cubed needs to be at a moisture content of less than 20%.

Actually quite hard to argue with that. Basically what its saying is that log sales of what is sold as seasoned wood need to be seasoned properly by the supplier pulling back the responsibility to the ‘professionals’. Anyone who takes delivery of volumes above 2m cubed of unseasoned wood is still going to get a leaflet telling them how to do it and has more than a passing interest in wood (they are going to need to be able to store a minimum of 4 m cubed – this years already seasoned wood and next years – so you’d have to make some sort of provision that they might. The McMooters of this world.

Thinking about it, I’m struggling to see any downsides. Pains me to say it but got to be a thumbs up from me.

Random aside as someone in the last few months of living down south before I move to the highlands…..much of the wood being sold up there by log providers is softwood from what I can see. A lot cheaper per load than the price in the south downs (roughly a ‘load’ that my mother buys is about the same price I pay for a half load for about three times the volume of wood) but obviously not as energy rich. But is well dried softwood burnt properly (not slumbered etc) more or less environmentally damaging/ sustainable than well managed and burn hard wood? I mainly burn local ash down here which grows quickly for a hardwood but obviously much slower than a spruce. This is in a stove rather than an open fire. I’m pretty sure the scandinavians burn almost only softwoods in their stoves.

Daz
    Free Member

It certainly is a good thing that timber sold for burning should have a low moisture content, my bug bear about this legislation is that it is creating a monopoly and a nice little earner for the private scheme administering it. You can be sure that this legislation will require sellers to be part of this certification scheme and self certification of moisture content by suppliers themselves will not be sufficient. It is a great earner as the scheme owners ensure a percentage of all sales of logs throughout the country. I agree with the principles in the legislation but then all legislation needs to be dressed up as positive in order to be pressed through.

The clean air act is in place to deal with this problem in areas where it is a real problem, if councils were funded properly to enforce this legislation and the supply of logs of a suitable moisture content was part of this, it could be enforced by them quite easily. It also addresses the issue of burning coal in towns and cities and allowing the continued use of it in rural areas where it causes no issue. That wouldn’t make hetas a nice tidy sum though would it.

BrickMan

Will happily move away from wood fuel (80% of mass is wind or dead fall, 10 to 15% is diseased, 5% to 10% i buy), if someone will pay the £35k+ it will cost to install a gas main…. (i use the fully considered co2 model, i. E how many years and extra work and all of the carbon will it take for me to get £35k+ install costs vs continue using what I already own, same for getting a latest euro 6 car, not worth it on that model for the 5k miles a year i drive)

sv

This is a great read and highlights the pros and cons of hardwood vs softwood etc

Norwegian Wood: The internationally bestselling guide to chopping and storing firewood https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0857052551/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yaLuEbJ8EMRPM

Dickyboy

which is a 17m x 5m room

That is a massive room – our 3 bed semi was only 90m2 in total

onehundredthidiot

What about 5th November? What’s the mass of wet wood burned then? How many days of stove use would it equate to?

slackalice
    Free Member

The real win is of course an extra jumper.

🤣🤣🤣 bit inefficient when required for hot water.

slackalice
    Free Member

This. We have a pretty big detatched house with no gas, just oil for the CH.
    I’m just about to light the stove in the kitchen/breakfast/snug which is a 17m x 5m room that’s used all day. Without the stove I’d have to heat the entire house most of the day which, including upstairs, is probably 8 times the size of the kitchen. Doesn’t really make sense.
    I’m luck though in that I have a good supply of very very cheap wood that I split and store. Right now I probably have enough logs in IBC cages for the next 2-3 years so the issue of wet logs and coal doesn’t affect me at the moment.

Swoon 😍😍😍😍😍😍

Although in all seriousness, well done for applying yourself to your chosen occupation/profession to enable your lifestyle.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘the end of woodburners / open fires is nigh’ is closed to new replies.