Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • the end of woodburners / open fires is nigh
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

is it? cleaner air. blah blah blah.

Stoner
    Free Member

Prized from my warm, white-fingers hands.

globalti
    Free Member

No, the end of coal on open fires and stoves and the end of un-seasoned wood, if anybody is silly enough to burn un-seasoned.

Carry on burning smokeless and dry wood.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Prized from my warm, white-fingers hands.

Damn you Stoner, damn you all to hell, you beat me to it!  So I’ll shoe horn in another Charlton Heston quote😂

revs1972
    Free Member

Whilst refurbing the new house, all the wood that was removed was taken by various workmen for their woodburners.
    Saved a trip to the tip , but there was all sorts of wet, treated, painted stuff they took.
    At the end of the day who is going to police it anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

.. And you’ll still be able to buy unseasoned wood in proper loads. For you to season. Which begs the question who is buying small bags of wet wood anyway? Sounds like a townie-law. No idea.

somafunk

I could be wrong (quite possibly as a mate who supplies air seasoned firewood told me this) but the majority of kiln dried wood sold in this country is shipped in from eastern european countries so how does the transport and shipping of such a product impact on the desired pollution reduction of this ban?

convert

.. And you’ll still be able to buy unseasoned wood in proper loads. For you to season. Which begs the question who is buying small bags of wet wood anyway? Sounds like a townie-law. No idea.

Depends…. Beeb says….

Sales of wet wood in small units (less than 2m3) will be phased out from February 2021. Wet wood in volumes greater than 2m3 will also have to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning

A ‘1 tonne bag’ as used by some fire wood supplier comes in at about 0.9m sq So you’d need to buy 3 of them to qualify. I know many of this shire have capacity to store that much but it’s not a given even for non townies. And I guess it depends what they mean by ‘wet’ wood. I’ve yet to buy a bulk load of wood, even when advertised as ‘seasoned’, that didn’t benefit from a minimum of 6 months stacked to dry further. I guess there will have to be a moisture percentage to define what constitutes maximum moisture for it to be sold in lesser quantities.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The end of petrol station nets of wet wood can only be a good thing.

convert

I could be wrong (quite possibly as a mate who supplies air seasoned firewood told me this) but the majority of kiln dried wood sold in this country is shipped in from eastern european countries so how does the transport and shipping of such a product impact on the desired pollution reduction of this ban?

Surely kiln drying in this country or elsewhere is something that should be avoided for environmental reasons? Kiln drying for wood to make furniture fair enough but not for wood to burn.

chewkw
    Free Member

the end of woodburners / open fires is nigh

I will vote them out just like their silly idea of having all EV in 15 years time.

Some people in govt are naturally foolish.

ferrals
    Free Member

Predicted thread for February 2021: “Which artisan wood drying kiln would STW buy?”

globalti
    Free Member

You’re not wrong; it comes from obscure corners of Europe like Slovenia so we are gradually deforesting the place of slow-grown oak and birch while contributing to global warming, traffic congestion and pollution.

chewkw
    Free Member

You’re not wrong; it comes from obscure corners of Europe like Slovenia so we are gradually deforesting the place of slow-grown oak and birch while contributing to global warming, traffic congestion and pollution.

If they are using slow-grown tree then they are silly …

Why not just use Bamboo charcoal? They grow quickly and burn well.

BBC News
    Does that mean BBQ industry is dead then?

It is not banning wood or coal burning stoves.

Not banning the stoves but banning the fuel … good one and as sneaky as ever.

Vote them out.

highlandman
    Free Member

Yet another idiotic, pseudo science half-idea from the current numpties driving the English parliament. Sooner we get on our way and get that border wall built the better..

chewkw
    Free Member

Yet another idiotic, pseudo science half-idea from the current numpties driving the English parliament. Sooner we get on our way and get that border wall built the better..

Most of the numpties in parliament don’t think of the contingency before acting …

I bet councils will soon start to give fine to people for having BBQ …

bedmaker

The new laws are perfectly sensible IMO, and I make my living installing the things.
    What is annoying is the way the story is spun by media to look like the end is nigh.
    I’ve been telling people for the past decade not to burn house coal or wet wood, so nothing new there.
    A proper ban on open fires can’t come soon enough.

It doesn’t mean kiln dried only either, wood can be seasoned naturally.

chewkw
    Free Member

A proper ban on open fires can’t come soon enough.

Is BBQ considered open fire?

So no BBQ then?

I bet they will want to ban gas fire too …

In the end their argument is to use electricity generated from nuclear plants … opps I also hear the call for banning the nuclear plants too …

johndoh
    Free Member

A ‘1 tonne bag’ as used by some fire wood supplier comes in at about 0.9m sq So you’d need to buy 3 of them to qualify.

I thought this too – surely the article is incorrect as there is a huge difference between a net of logs from the petrol station and a bulk bag. They even say that net bags are cheaper but I question this – yes the absolute cost is less, but surely they work out much, much more expensive.

kelvin

The end of petrol station nets of wet wood can only be a good thing.

Absolutely. Do it yesterday.

donks
    Free Member

, if anybody is silly enough to burn un-seasoned

This pretty much covers all the folk I know living on canal boats.
    To be fair most or all of the wood is hacked from the trees and hedges surrounding the canal as they would never dream of paying for wood be it wet or seasoned. Wet pallets also seem to be a firm favourite.

Dickyboy

Living between two urban woodburnerists, the sooner they are phased out in urban areas the better.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nonsense, everyone (with a woodburner) knows it’s entirely carbon neutral, infact it’s carbon positive.

Are we talking about people with wood burners trying to justify them, or people making laws to band them?

Vinte
    Free Member

It’s the end of wood burners in the same way the banning of leaded petrol led to the end of the car.

Drac

The actually true story is to get rid of house coal and wet wood, this is a good idea.

Log burners will remain for now and the foreseeable futures.

outofbreath
    Free Member

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s the end of wood burners in the same way the banning of leaded petrol led to the end of the car.

Ya, but where are the substitutes before banning the fuel for the stoves?

Petrol has the substitute of unleaded petrol but where is the substitute for stove fuel? Are they ready for the switch?

Dumb decision is dumb.

Oh ya … like I said gas fire would be banned too in the future as they want to go all out “clean” energy with using electricity.

fossy

I’ve no problem with fires/burners if they provide your heating. But if you’ve got it in a modern house, just for show, then so you should be burning smokeless, or not at all, especially in smokeless zones.

Bit like my nobber neighbour – perfectly efficient central heating, modern house, no chimney/fireplace. So he sticks a monstrocity of an aluminium pipe on the side of his house, and burns what ever he feels like on it.

johndoh
    Free Member

but where is the substitute for stove fuel?

Dry logs, not unseasoned wet ones.

chewkw
    Free Member

Log burners will remain for now and the foreseeable futures.

Not for long as the creepy numpties at Parliament will want to ban all energy except electricity.

trail_rat
    Free Member

but banning the fue

thats not at all what they are doing.,

oldtennisshoes

I think arbtalk has just exploded!

If it stops cowboys selling ‘tonne bags’ or trailer loads of unseasoned (wet) wood to those who don’t know better then it is a good thing.
    But it wont as it will be impossible to police.

chewkw
    Free Member

Dry logs, not unseasoned wet ones.

Yes, that is fine if logs are properly dried etc but I bet they will make very hard for people to comply.

thats not at all what they are doing.,

I have a feeling that those creepy politicians are going to force people going all electricity … I don’t trust of those lowlife politicians (regardless).

I feel like the govt is enslaving the population?

Drac

Yes, that is fine but I bet it will make they will make very hard for people to comply.

It isn’t.

chewkw
    Free Member

It isn’t.

We shall see …
    If I cannot find fuel for my Weber BBQ stoves (have two) I will vote them out.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Something needs to be done. Often when I go out for a walk in the evening, the smell of fires is strong throughout my walk (also when away on holiday). This is unpleasant, bad for people’s health and the environment.

Blackflag
    Free Member

We use seasoned logs from Delamere Logs. I am now expecting the price to go up. market forces and all that…

chewkw
    Free Member

This is unpleasant, bad for people’s health and the environment.

Notice the world population increasing?

We use seasoned logs from Delamere Logs. I am now expecting the price to go up. market forces and all that…

It will go up definitely.

Drac

We shall see …

You can see now seasoned wood and alternatives to house coal easily available.

If I cannot find fuel for my Weber BBQ stoves (have two) I will vote them out.

Errrr! It doesn’t effect bbqs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘the end of woodburners / open fires is nigh’ is closed to new replies.