Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The end of Time as we know it?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

I was in my LBS last week after my few years old pair of Time ATAC pedals fell apart mid ride. I was asking about getting another set to be told that Time have stopped making them and have now shifted to a Shimano type system. Seems a bit of a shame though TBH the newest incarnations of the pedals are as robust as cheese. So was wondering how the Shimano pedals compare to the Times for float.

wwaswas

I’d go for Crank Bros if you want float.

They’re so much more robust now I’d not worry about longevity.

pitduck
    Free Member

no mention on times web site.

sarawak
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Time Attack Sat in the garage doing nothing. Not new, but with some new cleats. Yours if you want them.

warpcow
    Free Member

Wild guess: yer lbs-man was mixing them up with Look.

sarawak
    Free Member

OOPS. I should have said ATAC. Damned predictive text!!!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Wild guess: yer lbs-man was mixing them up with Look.

No they said both companies have given up on the pedal type. They had an example in the shop of the new Time pedals which look like Shimano’s. I also couldn’t find anything about it on the Time website but my LBS have generally pretty good insider info.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to use Time, then CB (because I never found time that reliable ironically) then after CB redefined unreliable I went to shimano.

Pro’s : 

The cleats seemingly last forever, I’ve worn out shoes with only one set of cleats! My guess is they’re stel where everyone else uses brass?

The float is very positive, you move your foot side to side and at the limit there’s a bit of resistance and a click and the clat comes off the pedal. Time and CB both felt like you hit the springs much sooner, but then actually releasing is a bit vague after that. I can’t say that I missed the alleged float and after a few hours much preferred shimano. The amount of float is still enough that I angle all my cleats in so that they release sooner when twisting an ankle out.

M540 pedals will survive the nuclear winter along with cockroaches and Nokia 3310.

The springs won’t wear grooves into your boots as the cleat itself takes your weight.

Cons:

Mud has rarely been an issue, just look how many cross racers use shimano pedals. But ice is. Riding in snow can cause problems if you clip in and out and walk a lot.

Not better just different.

Shimano pedals get more float and harder to release as they wear. Whereas Time wear out to the point you spontaneously part company with the bike mid pedal stroke. But the shimano cleats probably outlast them by years.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not sure long lasting cleats is a pro. Something has to give and you’d rather it be cheap cleats than expensive pedals. I replace my time cleats annually anyway.

shimano has no lateral float at all. I like lateral float, it enables me to lean the bike without popping my outside shoe out of the cleat. I’ve never had an unintended release with time but happened often with shimano. I think tune gives you a freeer feeling on the pedals and less restricted. Not an issue really for straight pedalling XCkind of stuff, but more DH and technical trails I like the freeer float of time. Also time cleats are lower profile in the shoe compared to shimano so nicer to walk on. I also find time much easier to clip into, you don’t have to be as accurate.

but I guess you ultimately get used to whatever you ride. It would be a shame if they discontinue the time system, it is different to shimano and gives some real benefits in my experience. If true i’ll be stocking up on a few pairs. Given their longevity and reliability a few pairs should easily see out my remaining mountain biking days.

unovolo
    Free Member

No wonder no ones using them have you seen the price on the website

https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/time-sport-mtb-time-pedals.html

Only for the Alan Sugars of the world.

k1100t
    Free Member

I recently bought a pair of the Look X-Track Carbon Race for my fat bike. I have zero complaints so far.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘The end of Time as we know it?’ is closed to new replies.